Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Former Canadian Record Holder Dies

Bishop Dolegiewicz, former Candian Record Holder in the shotput and Olympian, died yesterday in Utah. He has been in poor health for the past few years suffering from cardio and circulation problems. He briefly attended the University of Texas in the early 70's. Bish was only 56 and will be missed by many in the throwing world.

Also noted here:
    http://masterstrack.com/blog/002868.html

K E N
    K E N

Comment

One of my all-time favorite athletes. My favorite anecdote (as I recall his telling it to me):

At the Canadian Championships one year, he and another putter were selected for testing. It had been a long hot day and neither of them was up to producing a sample, so the testers—this was the early days of sampling—said no problem, put them in a room with a fridge and said "There's a box of beer in there."

So the two started pounding the beers and decided that it tasted so good that when the urge came they opened the window and took a leak. Testers came back a couple of times and each time were told they still just couldn't go. After they had polished off a half-dozen or so each, with a couple of trips to the window, they banged on the door and said, "We're ready!"

Comment

BIG BISH

True story as I was there drinking the beer with him .As I recall we were quite dehydrated from the heat and humidity and just couldn't produce a sample!!

After we finally produced a sample I remember we also scored a couple of cases of beer from the specimen collectors to take back to the hotel to continue the party.

We called him the "Big One" as he was the biggest and the strongest of us all and I have a lot of great memories of the crazy times we had back then.

He will live on in my memories always as a great guy, training partner and competitor .

May he rest in peace till I catch up to him and we can crack open a few cold ones with him and start telling stories about the good old days and start to laugh.

Rob Gray

Comment

Rob:

May your turn never come, but when it does, my anecdote about you will involve running the dirt wall in Al Feuerbach's backyard at the Two Big Guys Mountain Games. :-)

Comment

RIP, Bishop...
            I didn't know him well, but always thought of a big man, with a big heart.
            Hey Rob,
            One of the stories that was going around in "those wild and crazy days" of Athletics Canada, was you some of you "large folks" were going for a record, as to how many beers you could hold, before you just had to give your sample.
            Any truth to that one?
            Does anyone have access to the track-canada service. There is a great picture of Bishop and Thelma Wright "racing" for a beer after the 1974 Commonwealth Games in Wales, and also a response from Thelma. Does anyone know how to import that to here? I don't know how to do that.

Comment

I don't think it could properly be posted here. It was published in a magazine and the photographer is still alive. I think it is probably still subject to copyright protection.

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman
                I don't think it could properly be posted here. It was published in a magazine and the photographer is still alive. I think it is probably still subject to copyright protection.
                Yes, you could be right about that. Although George Aitkin, who put the picture up on track-canada, is one of the most experienced photographers in Canadian Track & Field history, and would probably have cleared that with Mark Shearman, before he posted it. Does it make a difference if it's already posted on another line, or ?

Comment

Originally posted by rasb
                  Does it make a difference if it's already posted on another line, or ?
                  I don't think that makes a difference. Two wrongs don't make a right. Also, I don't know who owns the copyright. I believe it was published in Athletica, which went out of business long ago. But somebody must own the assets--perhaps the publisher. Or maybe Mark Shearman owned the copyright all along--very possible. Of course, if that's the case, he could authorize its posting.

Comment

A lot of very sad people here in Orem. Bishop was a much-loved part of the T&F family for Utah Valley Univ. (they are hosting the Great West Conference XC meet).

Comment

I have to smile when I think of Bishop (at least the old version of the beer-drinking days) fitting in very well in Orem, a city that's the very model of piety.

One last anecdote: he and his fiancée (first time), discus thrower Gail Zaphiropolous were once at a beer bust in my back yard and she and I started throwing the shit at each other for some reason or another (all in good spirit) and she had the ultimate winner: "if you aren't nice to me, when we get married I'm gonna go with a hyphenated last name!"

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                        Rob:

May your turn never come, but when it does, my anecdote about you will involve running the dirt wall in Al Feuerbach's backyard at the Two Big Guys Mountain Games. :-)
                        Gary,
                        If I remember correctly Bish helped motivate my attempt at running the wall by suggesting that Canada needed better represention at the Mountain Games than the feeble effort at running the wall put out by Borys Chambul.

That was quite a day/night!!

Thinking about Bishop and trying to get hold of our former throwing buddies up here in the Great White North to let them know about Bish has awakened me to realizing how much I have missed the sport the last 20 + years since I had to get a job and pretend to grow up.

Rob

Comment

Originally posted by rasb
                          RIP, Bishop...
                          I didn't know him well, but always thought of a big man, with a big heart.
                          Hey Rob,
                          One of the stories that was going around in "those wild and crazy days" of Athletics Canada, was you some of you "large folks" were going for a record, as to how many beers you could hold, before you just had to give your sample.
                          Any truth to that one?
                          Does anyone have access to the track-canada service. There is a great picture of Bishop and Thelma Wright "racing" for a beer after the 1974 Commonwealth Games in Wales, and also a response from Thelma. Does anyone know how to import that to here? I don't know how to do that.
                          Rasp

Bishop regularly organized such a contest when we were giving our samples and he usually won that contest . I was told he once consumed 23 beers at the nationals one year before having to go . I missed that day as I think it was after the shot and I still had to throw the next day so I probably was trying to stay sober back at the hotel (not likely).

I remember the picture you are referring to of Bish and Thelma .Last night I spent sometime going through the boxes of track magazines in my basement that I havent looked at in 20 years and couldn't find it yet . I did find a great picture of Bish and me at the 1982 Commonwealth games in Brisbane that was in the papers in Canada . Bish tore his achilles tendon on the 2nd throw of the competition and still won the bronze and I won the silver (Big Bradley Cooper won Gold ) We were in drug testing and we were icing Bish's foot with a bag ice which was supplemented by 4 or 5 tins of Fosters Ale . I can tell by the look on our face that we had been having trouble producing a sample that day!!!

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                            One of my all-time favorite athletes. My favorite anecdote (as I recall his telling it to me):

At the Canadian Championships one year, he and another putter were selected for testing. It had been a long hot day and neither of them was up to producing a sample, so the testers—this was the early days of sampling—said no problem, put them in a room with a fridge and said "There's a box of beer in there."

So the two started pounding the beers and decided that it tasted so good that when the urge came they opened the window and took a leak. Testers came back a couple of times and each time were told they still just couldn't go. After they had polished off a half-dozen or so each, with a couple of trips to the window, they banged on the door and said, "We're ready!"
                            That IS hilarious! Of course I could never relate to such shenanigans. :wink:

:lol:
                            Take good care of yourself.

Comment

Working...
                            X