Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greatest Ovation Ever?

Over on the current events side,talking about likely "sure things" in Athens we got sidetracked (oops--courtesy of me) into the outstanding ovations of all time.

I mentioned Verouli '82 as as high as anything I could remember. DJ said Freeman '00 was bigger, but only because stadium was that much bigger. I'd put Lillak '83 only a hair behind Verouli, and that might also be based on size/configuration of stadium.

Any other nominees?

Re: Greatest Ovation Ever?

I was not there, just saw it on TV... what was it like when Joan Benoit re-entered the LA Coliseum in the '84 OG Marathon ?

Comment

Comment

The French women's 4x1 in Saint-Denis last summer produced a nice roar, not as loud as the one in Sydney for Cathy Freeman, but pretty impressive.

Comment

Maybe not the best, but Carl's farewell in Atlanta was pretty loud.

Comment

>I was not there, just saw it on TV... what was it like when Joan Benoit
            >re-entered the LA Coliseum in the '84 OG Marathon ?>>

LA Coliseum, as a wide bowl, not conducive to making/focusing a lot of noise (the old Hayward Field, with its "trumpet-shaped" stands was probably louder for Pre (and other Ducks) many times.

Comment

I've only seen it on tape, but Francesco Panetta's SC victory in Rome '87 seemed like an Italian soccer (calcio, football) crowd.

Comment

I went to Oregon and saw a lot of meets there including Pre's last race, but the loudest I ever heard the Hayward Field crowd get was for Garry Bjorklund's comeback on the last lap of the 76 Trials 10,000 to catch Rodgers for 3rd place.

Comment

The standing ovation during Derek Redmond's semi-final 400m race in the 1992 Olympics (when his father helped him finish) was pretty good.

Comment

I was not at the others mentioned, so maybe someone who was can give me a comparison, but the roar 'during' Michael Johnson's '96 200 was electric.

Comment

Franklin Field went nuts when Skeets ran down the top quartermilers on the anchor leg for Maryland at the Penn Relays Championship of America 4x400.

Comment

The standing ovation (for 10 laps!) that was given Gerry Lindgren as he steadily increased his lead over the veteran Russians in the 1964 US Vs. USSR 10,000m in the L.A. Coliseum.

Comment

When Michigan beat Ohio State in football this past season. Been to many Michigan games and the normally sedate 110,000+ fans really turned it up. The largest crowd ever to watch a football game finally lived up to it's potential. O.K., it not track and field but .......... ...............Go Blue!!!

Comment

I'll second Lynn. I've been in larger, louder crowds but for sheer enthusiasm and duration, nothing compares with Lindgren's finish. It was lap after lap of encouragement, astonishment and pure appreciation!!!

Comment

Maybe not the loudest (but close), but most memorable for me was the reaction to Leroy Burrell's world record in Lausanne in '94. The reaction was immediate from the knowledgable European crowd and there was a hailstorm of these round cushioned seats that sailed like frisbees onto the track and throughout the stadium. The meet stopped for 20 minutes. Later in the meet an errant but perfectly placed cushion hit Kim Battan as she prepared to hurdle heading into the home stretch. Since it was my first European meet, it's a moment I'll never forget.

Comment

Working...
                              X