Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R.I.P. Larry James

I've just received the very sad news that Larry James has passed away.

Smoothest striding quarter-miler jetter I've ever seen. Pushed LE to WRs twice (and Lee looked like he was dying all through the stretch to hold LJ off)

They're my all-time 1-2 GOATs. Like Affirmed and Alydar.

A Penn Relays demi-god too.

RIP and thanks for the awesome memories.

Comment

Marlow said it well, aesthetically nothing compared to Larry James, not even Tommie was as fluid. I didnt realize he was under 6', he ran like he was much taller. Larry was the perfect quarter miler, when he raced Lee Evans you just wanted to watch Larry, even if he didnt win, it was just easier on the eyes. May God bless him and his family. Edit: Larry was a Major, U.S. Marine Corps Reserves.
      ... nothing really ever changes my friend, new lines for old, new lines for old.

Comment

A class act who gave so much back to the sport he loved. He served as USATF Budget Chair right up until the end, chairing a conference call yesterday. I am glad he was inducted in the Hall Of Fame while he was still healthy. It was a very happy moment for those of us lucky to know him.

:cry:

Comment

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2008/11/ ... -James.php
          There are no strings on me

Comment

Originally posted by Halfmiler2
            He served as USATF Budget Chair right up until the end, chairing a conference call yesterday.
            In 2004, Larry sat on a USATF budget appeals board that voted more money for masters track. I wrote about it here:
            http://masterstrack.com/blog/000262.html

We'll miss you, Larry. Especially in Reno.

K E N
            K E N

Comment

Silver at just 20y in 43.97A !

Gotta believe if he'd carried on 'til 72 he'd have been running that at sea-level ( my gut feeling is 43.97A is worth 44.2 - 44.3 at sea-level & he wouda had 4y to mature )

Comment

This is an article I wrote about last December's wonderful tribute to Larry that was hosted by Stockton College. One of the most enjoyable days I've ever experienced in the sport.

http://www.internationalmedalist.org...es_tribute.htm

Comment

Like Martin McGrady, anyone who could hang with the great Lee Evans is one bad ass sprinter! Thanx for the memories Mr. James. God bless you.
                  phsstt!

Comment

What a pleasure it was to watch Larry James run in 1968. I wasn't at the Penn Relays that year, but I do remember his picture on the cover of TFN anchoring Villanova's relay team to victory. In Mexico City, one of my big memories was his third leg on our 4 by 400 relay team. I think he ran around 43.8. Some may forget that he ran 52.0 for the 400 hurdles at the Penn Relays in 1968. He was an amazing runner. He will be missed.

Comment

Originally posted by Double R Bar
                      Some may forget that he ran 52.0 for the 400 hurdles
                      If he had trained with Edwin Moses, one would have to believe that his speed and graceful stride would have made them at least equals.

Comment

A graceful man who used his talents to help others. Larry, you will be missed.

Comment

RIP....great runner, and from interviews, a humble cat!

Comment

Very sad news. I saw him run many times in the late '60s and he was just unforgettable--poetry in motion.

Comment

Watched him at the '68 Penn Relays--wow! Also surprised he was only 6 feet. Looked more like 6' 3". A beautiful runner.

Comment

Working...
                              X