3.Archie Hahn...USA
    4.Thomas Burke...USA
    5.Reginald Walker...South Africa
    6.Jesse Owens...USA
    7.Charles Paddock....USA
    8.Percy Williams...Canada
    9.Harold Abrahams...GB
    10.Usain Bolt...Jamaica

It's Eugen Ray (pronounced Oi - gen), not the American "Eugene"...

And since Christie himself is on record for stating (many times) that Borzov is the greatest European sprinter of all time, then I think your all-time list is flawed.

And since your "all-time" list is composed entirely of sprinters from the last 20 years, then I suppose by the time the 2028 Olympics comes around nobody will rate any of the above in an all-time list?

(= Bizarre selection criteria).

Comment

Originally posted by Rob
      It's Eugen Ray (pronounced Oi - gen), not the American "Eugene"...
      I'm betting I actually know about this topic than Linford Christie. I do doubt he really cared all that much about the history of the 100meters.

Christie was an Olympic Champion just like Borzov and ran soooo much faster. When Borzov won his Oly gold he ran a 10.14. There's a guy taking handoffs at Florida right now who runs a 10.01.

Let me add something just for you Rob..ok?

Comment

So your "all-time" list will inevitably just comprise the 8 fastest sprinters in the record books then?

Great knowledge, Tex!

Comment

Originally posted by Rob
          So your "all-time" list will inevitably just comprise the current 8 fastest sprinters in the record books then?

Great knowledge, Tex!
          I'm pretty sure I could school you, how's that?

Comment

If your 'schooling' includes listing athletes from obscure American colleges and NFL teams, then I'm sure you could.

Otherwise....I think not.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob
              If your 'schooling' includes listing athletes from obscure American colleges and NFL teams, then I'm sure you could.

Otherwise....I think not.
              Well then you'd be wrong. Just by using the word..obscure..tells me you're pretty limited. Go ahead play that.."well ya see if those old timers ran today and....." Let's see how ya do. Now don't run and hide Rob, prove your point! Talk to me about how if Bernie Wefers ran today he'd,...what?

Comment

No, I used the word 'obscure' because I'm not American, and small-world USA doesn't really interest me. Nor does the US collegiate system have any true bearing on World sprint legacies. But of course, with your knowledge of the all-time global sprint scene, I'm sure you know that already 8-)

Comment

Originally posted by Rob
                  No, I used the word 'obscure' because I'm not American, and small-world USA doesn't really interest me. Nor does the US collegiate system have any true bearing on World sprint legacies. But of course, with your knowledge of the all-time global sprint scene, I'm sure you know that already 8-)
                  Well I could take you back to the days of Fritz Hofmann from Germany who won the Oly silver in the 100m at Athens 1896. Wanna talk Alajos Szokolyi from Hungary? How about Swedens Knut Lindberg? Trust me amigo, you really don't wanna do this...ok? I'm an American and know all about the European/Asia sprint scene. While there you sit telling me you know nothing about America. This would get ugly and somebody would have to jump in and pull me off ya......ok?

Comment

Let's keep it easy. You have already selected the current 5 fastest men in the record books for your all-time list (Bolt, Powell, Gay, Greene & Bailey).

And I assume you're listing Johnson based on his 9.79 rating? Ok.

But why not Surin (9.84), Burrell, Gatlin & Fasuba (all 9.85) before you think of including Lewis / Fredericks / Boldon (9.86)?

Surely slow guys like Christie (9.87) have no place at all?

It's easy to keep up with you Tex, if all you do is look at the current record books and choose some fast times.

"All-time" needs some clarification...

If you mean 'all-time fast times' then you are close but need to correct your list in line with the above. You can thank me later.

If you mean 'all-time great sprinters' (which should / must include other criteria such as titles won, win-loss record, invincibility at their best, longevity, etc), then you are well short of the mark.

But because the latter assessment is essentially subjective, then people will argue and disagree ad nauseam. Does that make your list correct? No, I don't think it does. I think as a top level discriminator, if the athlete hasn't won a global title at 100m (Olympic Games / World Champs) then he really struggles to justify his appearance in an all-time great list. That would remove Fredericks, Boldon and Powell before we start.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob
                      Let's keep it easy. You have already selected the current 5 fastest men in the record books for your all-time list (Bolt, Powell, Gay, Greene & Bailey).

And I assume you're listing Johnson based on his 9.79 rating? Ok.

But why not Surin (9.84), Burrell, Gatlin & Fasuba (all 9.85) before you think of including Lewis / Fredericks / Boldon (9.86)?

Surely slow guys like Christie (9.87) have no place at all?

It's easy to keep up with you Tex, if all you do is look at the current record books and choose some fast times.

"All-time" needs some clarification...

If you mean 'all-time fast times' then you are close but need to correct your list in line with the above. You can thank me later.

If you mean 'all-time great sprinters' (which should / must include other criteria such as titles won, win-loss record, invincibility at their best, longevity, etc, then you are well short of the mark.
                      Where was Tim Montgomery? I took a lot of different factors in to account. Winning an Olympic Games was huge "if" he also had the times. You'll never find Lindy Remigino in an all time greatest list because he wasn't, despite his Oly win. You look at titles won, rankings and times. Anyone running a sub 9.90 isn't going to be inferior to some old timer who was running a 10.3 hand timed. There is too much of a difference there.

Jesse Owens lost a lot, hell James "who?" Johnson beat him at the Nationals. Who was Borzov beating? Hell he never even faced a sub10.00 guy. These guys today and the last 25 years or so, are in against far stronger competition than what we saw back in the day. There are high schools in Texas that could have beaten some Olympic national teams from back in the day. Don't get too wrapped up in.."well hell Tex, if those old timers just.......".....ok?

Grade school kids running on grass and without any sort of actual training are running faster today than they did back in the day. That's just how it goes and always will.

Comment

Borzov repeatedly beat the best the US could put up against him (in the 2 seasons leading up to the 72 Games, including the dual US-USSR meets - not just in Munich). How many sub 10.00 guys were there to beat in 1971 / 72 (at low altitude)? Err, none.

And since the US thinks it owns the 100 (or did so in those days), then that makes Borzov pretty special.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob
                          Borzov repeatedly beat the best the US could put up against him (in the 2 seasons leading up to the 72 Games, including the dual US-USSR meets - not just in Munich). How many sub 10.00 guys were there in 1971 / 72 (at low altitude)? Err, none.

And since the US thinks it owns the 100 (or did do in those days), then that makes Borzov pretty special.
                          Hmmm?

In 1969 John Carlos was the top ranked 100m man in the world. Borzov was ranked fifth. In 70 there's Carlos again, Borzov is now at two. In 71/72 Borzov is the top ranked sprinter. Guys like J.L.Ravelomantsoa and Robert Taylor are second. In 73 no Borzov ranking at all. In 74 there he is at fifth. In 75 he's third. As we know both Crawford and Quarrie beat him at the 76 games and Borzov ran another 10.14 a time he won with in 72. After 76...poof!

Did Borzov ever beat John Carlos, how about Steve Wiliams? The guy won the Olympics without the two top Americans there. Never even ran a time superior to Hayes in 64 on a dirt track and was only twice the top ranked sprinter out of his seven years of competition. This is a...WOW!!!!!!!!...to you?

Ok now...

I don't play this..USA! USA! USA!...YIPPPEE!!!!!!!....ok? I was all over the Jamaicans prior to the Olympics. I took Powell to win the 100, Bolt the 200 and the Jama gang the 4x1. If you're a homer and just can't deal with some other nation doing anything, then we have nothing to talk about. I'm getting the feeling that's your game. Leave the bias out of this...ok?

Comment

You make out like it's Borzov's fault that Williams, Carlos, et al didn't compete for the US in the matches against the USSR, or whenever Borzov was in a 100m line-up.

Why was that, actually? Carlos was coming to the end of his career as Borzov was hitting top form. Williams was nowhere in 71 / 72 - was he even good enough to make the US team? If so, why didn't he compete in the US-USSR matches in either Berkeley or Leningrad? Injured? Scared?

The US badly wanted to beat Borzov before he even arrived in Munich. Didn't happen.

There's no shortage of excuses as to why, but maybe you are overlooking the real reason.

He was just too good.

Comment

Rob is right,

Tex, How would you rate the Munich '72 track relative to Osaka '07 or Beijing '08.
                              How do you think training methods have improved? Do you really think so low of WR holders Larry Black and Robert Taylor?(their 4x1 stood the test of time)

lastly, what information are you providing if your lists can be with near zero error, predicted before you type them with 1 line of code.
                              ... nothing really ever changes my friend, new lines for old, new lines for old.

Comment

Working...
                              X