Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

attn Per & HJsteve & other olden times guys...

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• attn Per & HJsteve & other olden times guys...

http://images.google.com/hosted/life...0732a59618e7d7

You'll appreciate this pic from the LIFE mag archives, zoom in and take a look at all the sawdust debris flying off Brumel !

What a great picture. That was his world record at Stanford in 1962. I wish I could have seen that meet. Too bad Stanford doesn't have a track stadium like that now.

Comment

I have worked a few meets at Stanford at the current facility but have only seen the stadium in its current configuration with seats built out onto the track. I too, was saddened at its present condition and visualized what an excellent venue it must have been when packed for a major meet.

Comment

Thank you!
        Imagine just two years earlier we could hardly comprehend Thomas's 7-3 3/4.
        At the same venue?

Comment

Originally posted by Double R Bar
          What a great picture. That was his world record at Stanford in 1962. I wish I could have seen that meet. Too bad Stanford doesn't have a track stadium like that now.
          Track stadium hell. Look at the attendance. The stands are packed. If only ...

Comment

Of course packed stands had less to do with track than it did with the Cold War. The "Russians" were a hot sell in those days. Find us another sequestered global arch-enemy and we can fill the stands again. On second thought.....

Comment

Originally posted by gh
              Of course packed stands had less to do with track than it did with the Cold War. The "Russians" were a hot sell in those days. Find us another sequestered global arch-enemy and we can fill the stands again. On second thought.....
              I propose a 5-way meet with Iraq-Iran-Afghanistan-N Korea and us. Clear good guy - bad guy rivalry and the good guys should win easily!

Comment

Back in the day, at both Stanford and the LA Coliseum, it was great fun to compete even in dual meets. Granted, those venues seemed a little spooky with only a couple hundred people in the stands but it was still a treat.

Hard to tell in the LIFE mag pic, but if you look carefully it appears that the take-off surface at Stanford was still grass at that time, as they were when Thomas set the WR in 1960... all the horizontal approaches in Stanford Stadium were rolled grass (similar to a golf green) when I competed there in '65.

Comment

The hay bales filled with sawdust for landing pit were a marked improvement over the usual ground level pits (partially) filled with sand of that era.

Comment

Good stuff, thank you ! And thanks also for putting my name in a thread title !

Comment

Although I'm not as old as our esteemed Duke jumper, I've been an avid Brumel photo collector. That's one I didn't have. Thanks!
                      If you're ever walking down the beach and you see a girl dressed in a bikini made out of seashells, and you pick her up and hold her to your ear, you can hear her scream.

Comment

Yeah, HJsteve, we old school-sawdust-haybale-straddlers have to support one another. Probably we should form a non-profit entity and make a museum and an old folks home for ourselves. Lonewolf is the dean here, though. I never saw sand pits, although I do have a photo of Brumel in a Moscow indoor meet with a sand pit. Poor Fosbury would have never survived!

Dietmar, do a lot of your pics of Brumel show him in that forward leaning posture that is so obvious in the pic posted? Clearly, in that particular shot he has just popped out of the pit and is caught in an unusual pose, but still, my memory of Brumel is that he was constantly leaning forward and that conveyed an impression of forcefulness and aggression.

Comment

Dietmar, have you seen this old newsreel site?
                          http://www.thoughtequity.com/video/s...60%27s&x=0&y=0

You can sample thumbnail video clips. Fish around there and you'll find a 54 second clip of Thomas and Brumel in an indoor meet in NYC. Click the little magnifying glass icon to enlarge the frame. Great stuff.

Comment

Wow! That was fantastic. Thanks a lot!
                            If you're ever walking down the beach and you see a girl dressed in a bikini made out of seashells, and you pick her up and hold her to your ear, you can hear her scream.

Comment

Originally posted by jhc68
                              Yeah, HJsteve, we old school-sawdust-haybale-straddlers have to support one another. Probably we should form a non-profit entity and make a museum and an old folks home for ourselves. Lonewolf is the dean here, though. I never saw sand pits, although I do have a photo of Brumel in a Moscow indoor meet with a sand pit. Poor Fosbury would have never survived!

Dietmar, do a lot of your pics of Brumel show him in that forward leaning posture that is so obvious in the pic posted? Clearly, in that particular shot he has just popped out of the pit and is caught in an unusual pose, but still, my memory of Brumel is that he was constantly leaning forward and that conveyed an impression of forcefulness and aggression.
                              Yes, he was leaning forward quite a lot. It always amazed me that he was still able to convert so well to the vertical despite it.

Comment

Working...
                              X