Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Obscure Sprinter

I'm sure you've noticed my interest in the obscure. That.."who?"..seems to intrique me. Not sure the why however..ha~~~! I guess that's why them old primitive blues interests me. That world is full of.."who?" Cats that recorded "a" record then..poof!!!!!!!!!! Then here comes some Brit doing a cover of one of those old.."who?"..and only guys like myself know it's just a cover of an old blues tune.

Anyway...

Francis Baldwin was out of Dallas Baptist, while there he ran a 9.2, it even got him a picture in T&FN. Where did he go? Yes the classic fifteen minutes then...poof!!!!!!!!!!! Remember when Jordan Vaden stunned us all with his sub20.00? Remember that...who? Now it appears he's...poof!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Right now there is a guy at NC A&T, he'll be a junior in 2009. In 2008 he ran a 10.18. Yet he is currently an obscure talent on the national scene. Now he might stay that way. His 10.18 was probably windy and he might just fade away. Look at the yearly lists in T&FN and you'll find so many...who? Some cat who ran a solid time then...poof!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Where do they go, what happens?

I've mentioned this before (oh well) it remains a mystery to me. What happened to Cal State sprint champs/JC stars Alvin Mahn (Edison of Fresno) and Bill Cowings (Fowler). I saw Mahn run while at Fresno City then....poof! Cowings was the school record holder in the 100/200 at COS (Visalia JC) when I was there. A 9.5/20.5 guy in the 60's. Then he took off for Texas Southern and...poof!!!!!!!! I have no doubts most of you reading this have similiar memories. That local star who just....poof!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh yeah....

Calesio Newman being the obscure NC A&T sprinter.

I guess the classic example would be the Carter Suggs story. While in HS he ran a slew of 9.3's then off to East Carolina and..yep...poof!!!!!!! What happened to Carter Suggs? Then there was Cyriil Wyatt at Illinois. I guess Obea Moore would also fit. Another..?????...would be Mel Clipper. What happens?

The answer is simple for most, particulalrly if you're talking the hand-timing era. Lots of bad timing, chances of rolling starts in small meets and false wind readings. No other event has more opportunties to generate fake marks than the 100.

Comment

I hear ya as far as times go. Then there's..

1960 Cali Championships

1 Bill Cowings Fowler 9.7
      2 John Peters Jordan 9.8
      3 Hubie Watson Jordan 9.9
      4 Tom Webb Pleasant Hill 9.9
      5-T John Lacey Fontana 10.0
      5-T Tim Russell Lakewood 10.0

1963 Cali Championships

1 Alvin Mahn Edison 9.6
      2 John House Muir 9.7
      3 Travis Williams Ells 9.7
      4 Tommie Smith Lemoore 9.7
      5 Jerry Williams Berkeley 9.8
      6 Julius Wheeler Manual Arts 9.8

gh the next time you get bored, could you check in your archives there at T&FN and see what you got on Cowings and Mahn?

Comment

John House was the real deal, but apparently he had even more problems than talent.

Comment

Originally posted by jhc68
          John House was the real deal, but apparently he had even more problems than talent.
          It's that sort of thing that interests me. So what did happen to House? As we look at the names up there, obviously Tommie Smith jumps out at us. We all know his story. Then there's Travis Williams. He'd run a 9.3 while at Contra Costa and another one while at Arizona State. He was also a footballer and would become one of the greatest kick returners in NFL history. He'd score 6 times on kick returns, one year averaging a gaudy 41 yards a return. Played with the Packers and Rams.

Comment

All of you Xavier Carter worshipers should stop hyping him...cuz it would just hurt his legacy if he ends up on a forum like this...let's just be a little bit more rational and realize that he's got a great range of talent, but still has yet to prove himself...so lets just treat him like a regular track Joe for now...when he gets into a Championship final...that's when we should hype him...not now...or not yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas
              It's that sort of thing that interests me. So what did happen to House? As we look at the names up there, obviously Tommie Smith jumps out at us. We all know his story. Then there's Travis Williams. He'd run a 9.3 while at Contra Costa and another one while at Arizona State. He was also a footballer and would become one of the greatest kick returners in NFL history. He'd score 6 times on kick returns, one year averaging a gaudy 41 yards a return. Played with the Packers and Rams.
              And per Distant Replay, the long after sequel to Instant Replay, Travis Williams ended up a homeless person and died on the streets.

Comment

Originally posted by DexterDanner
                All of you Xavier Carter worshipers should stop hyping him...cuz it would just hurt his legacy if he ends up on a forum like this...let's just be a little bit more rational and realize that he's got a great range of talent, but still has yet to prove himself...so lets just treat him like a regular track Joe for now...when he gets into a Championship final...that's when we should hype him...not now...or not yet.
                19.63 is in the record books - 2nd fastest alltime when he ran it

he heeds no hype

injury has delayed his progress

Comment

Originally posted by bambam
                  And per Distant Replay, the long after sequel to Instant Replay, Travis Williams ended up a homeless person and died on the streets.
                  That's a great example of what I'm talking about. We know his story. How about the Carter Suggs story? What about the James Jackson story or the DeMario Wesley story?

Comment

How about the Carter Suggs story?
                    I believe he became a teacher at Tarboro (NC) High School, his alma mater.

Comment

How about the James Jackson story?
                      He became a teacher/coach at Boys and Girls High School in Brooklyn NY, his alma mater.
                      Tom Hyland:
                      "squack and wineturtle get it"

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman
                        How about the Carter Suggs story?
                        I believe he became a teacher at Tarboro (NC) High School, his alma mater.
                        What happened at East Carolina as a once stud HS sprinter?

Comment

Originally posted by wineturtle
                          How about the James Jackson story?
                          He became a teacher/coach at Boys and Girls High School in Brooklyn NY, his alma mater.
                          I'm talking about the Cali James Jackson who was beating Leamon King in the 54 Cali HS Championships. A 9.4 as a high schooler.

1954 - EDWARDS STADIUM, BERKELEY; SATURDAY, MAY 29

1 James Jackson Alameda 09.6
                          2 Leamon King Delano 9.7
                          3 Bill Swisshelm Santa Ana 9.9
                          4 Dick Dorsey Santa Monica 10.0
                          5 Ronald Giardina Castlemont 10.1

1 James Jackson Alameda 21.2
                          2 Leamon King Delano 21.3
                          3 Bill Swisshelm Santa Ana 21.9
                          4 Everett Jackson Manual Arts 22.0
                          5 Dick Dorsey Santa Monica 22.0

Comment

The Alameda James Jackson ran one year in junior college, then joined the Air Force and left track forever.

Comment

Originally posted by tc
                              The Alameda James Jackson ran one year in junior college, then joined the Air Force and left track forever.
                              A high schooler running a 9.4 and he ends up at a JC then out of track..????? Just seems wrong.

Comment

Working...
                              X