Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BillVol
    Originally posted by Walt Murphy
    There was never a more exciting race than an 880-relay on that flat wooden track. Probably responsible for more splinters than all other events combined
    Walt, I always figured you to be around 22,23 years old. But this post is dating you somewhat...
    You haven't been paying attention.

http://mb.trackandfieldnews.com/discuss ... hp?t=26581

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Murphy
      There was never a more exciting race than an 880-relay on that flat wooden track. Probably responsible for more splinters than all other events combined
      Walt, I always figured you to be around 22,23 years old. But this post is dating you somewhat...
      Uhhh--my grandfather told me stories about those days

Parts of the old wooden floor are still visible on the sides of the Armory. It's great to see kids' reactions when they're told that used to be the running surface.

Comment

Couldn't resist, Walt. The splinters comment made me do it!

Comment

Originally posted by wineturtle
          The 100 yds ran smackdown the center. you started back at the top of the ramp and ran to the concession end .You had about 8-10 yards to pick which door you ran thru because there was a wall in lanes 3456.

I believe St Francis Games was the last meet to run the 100yds and I remember running flat was a big deal I believe high school 168 record is 9.8h
          Dave Myer, Berner, Massapequa St Francis Games 1972

I am pretty sure a few AAU development meets thurs(?)nights ran it as a handicap event but I do not remember times.
          I think I ran an 10.7 to advance to semis in 1962 St Francis.
          Don't know how many more 9.8s were run in the Armory, but the first high school 9.8 was by Al Phillips of Montclair HS in New Jersey. He ran that at the NYU Interscholastics in 1958. Second in the race was current Seton Hall coach John Moon, of Linden HS (NJ).

Comment

Couldn't resist, Walt. The splinters comment made me do it!
            Now that I've been "age-outed" (again), I'll admit to having run my first race at the Armory roughly 50 years ago as a high school freshman(and got my splinter soon after) . But I still sometimes act like I'm 22-23 :wink:

One of my favorite memories was running the 1/4-leg on a DMR. Our team was lapped by the time I got the stick, so our anchor miler grabbed it from me after I had only run one lap. It was the fastest 440y split of my career!

Another was watching a "handicap" 500y (I believe that was the distance) at an AAU development meet. Adelphi's Kevin Price was running from scratch and was chasing what seemed like at least 15 other runners who were scattered all over the track. Frustrated by a runner from Essex County College who appeared to elbow him every time he tried to pass, Price stopped dead in his tracks on the last lap, ran across the infield and threw a punch at his tormentor as he entered the backstretch. Only quick action by the coaches, Ron Bazil(Adelphi) and Russ Rogers (Essex) prevented an all-out brawl from taking place between the two teams, Indoor running at its exciting best!

Comment

Working...
            X