Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SoCal USATF official Al Minturn dies in Reno

This is all I know -- from Andy Hecker in Ventura, Calif. He addressed this to Jill Geer of the USATF media staff:

I trust you are aware of the passing of Al Minturn, Southern California USATF Official, at the Reno Convention. Amongst all your other duties, is the necessary press release of that fact--which was relayed to me via several phone messages. I haven't heard his cause of death, only that he died in his hotel room overnight.

Minturn was not just an official, he was THE official. When you look at the USATF website, the picture of the back a heavy set official starting a 1500 meter race at Mt. SAC (the Join USATF sidebar) that shows up in so much USATF publicity IS Al Minturn.

He traveled to meets all over the country, to the extent that officials in Pennsylvania, Illinois and several other Associations thought he was a local official.

Locally, he was Vice-Chair of Training for the Southern California USATF Officials, meaning he was personally responsible for the annual training of all the officials in this Association.

While this association does not have the high tech available to, particularly the nearby Pacific Association, Al was the keeper of a lot of the unique tools used to put on many meets. For example, the Los Angeles High School Cross Country program depends on Al's materials and know how to set up their meets.

I'm just getting these details from other officiating friends still in shock. At 72, he was still one of the younger and more energetic people in Official's circles.
    K E N

Photo of Al:

K E N
Working...
X