• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Texas
    Originally posted by bambam
    Not sure I can post a pure all-time 100 but all-time sprinters starting 8 final field would be:

Bob Hayes
    Usain Bolt
    Maurice Greene
    Carl Lewis
    Bobby Morrow
    Valery Borzov
    Jesse Owens
    ??? - part of me wants to say Harry Hutchens
    Jesse Owens is better than Asafa Powell?
    Asafa Powell has won exactly how many major international titles at 100 metres? I believe in the Track & Field News philosophy - head-to-head competition and titles won are most important.
    So Lindy Remigino is superior to Steve Williams? Hasley Crawford is superior to Ato Boldon?

You do realize that Jesse Owens lost a lot and other than Metcalfe and Peacock he had little competition.

We totally ignore...

1 9.69 ±0.0 Usain Bolt
    2 9.72 +1.7 Usain Bolt
    2 9.72 +0.2 Asafa Powell
    4 9.74 +1.7 Asafa Powell
    5 9.76 +1.8 Usain Bolt
    6 9.77 +1.6 Asafa Powell
    6 9.77 +1.5 Asafa Powell
    6 9.77 +1.0 Asafa Powell
    6 9.77 +1.6 Tyson Gay
    6 9.77 -1.3 Usain Bolt
    6 9.77 +0.9 Asafa Powell
    12 9.78 ±0.0 Asafa Powell
    I don't ignore the times at all. I just think they are the least important variable in the equation. and you think it is the only variable. Obviously I don't think Lindy Remigino is one of the greatest ever - you didn't see me mention him, did you?

As to Powell's problems in the 03 QF, well, that's part of sport and he hasn't dealt with it well at major championships since. The idea is to come thru at major events. Why do we laud Al Oerter so? Because that's exactly what he did.

Comment

Not sure I can post a pure all-time 100 but all-time sprinters starting 8 final field would be:

Bob Hayes
      Usain Bolt
      Maurice Greene
      Carl Lewis
      Bobby Morrow
      Valery Borzov
      Jesse Owens
      ??? - part of me wants to say Harry Hutchens
      Jesse Owens is better than Asafa Powell?
      Asafa Powell has won exactly how many major international titles at 100 metres? I believe in the Track & Field News philosophy - head-to-head competition and titles won are most important.
      So Lindy Remigino is superior to Steve Williams? Hasley Crawford is superior to Ato Boldon?

You do realize that Jesse Owens lost a lot and other than Metcalfe and Peacock he had little competition.

We totally ignore...

1 9.69 ±0.0 Usain Bolt
      2 9.72 +1.7 Usain Bolt
      2 9.72 +0.2 Asafa Powell
      4 9.74 +1.7 Asafa Powell
      5 9.76 +1.8 Usain Bolt
      6 9.77 +1.6 Asafa Powell
      6 9.77 +1.5 Asafa Powell
      6 9.77 +1.0 Asafa Powell
      6 9.77 +1.6 Tyson Gay
      6 9.77 -1.3 Usain Bolt
      6 9.77 +0.9 Asafa Powell
      12 9.78 ±0.0 Asafa Powell
      I don't ignore the times at all. I just think they are the least important variable in the equation. and you think it is the only variable. Obviously I don't think Lindy Remigino is one of the greatest ever - you didn't see me mention him, did you?

As to Powell's problems in the 03 QF, well, that's part of sport and he hasn't dealt with it well at major championships since. The idea is to come thru at major events. Why do we laud Al Oerter so? Because that's exactly what he did.
      Ok here we go...

Zach is the fastest high schooler in Wyoming. He's never lost a race. Four times he's won the Wyoming State 100m. His PR...10.52!

Morris runs for Roosevelt in Dallas Texas. He's never won the Texas State 100m. Twice he did take second. His PR...10.40!

Now who's the superior sprinter there?

Comment

Texas, don't be silly. I'd hardly compare the Wyoming State Championship to the Texas State Championship. And I don't mess with that stuff anyway. I only look at major international championships, and Asafa Powell has not done well at that level. He's a great sprinter. Fernando Mamede was a great distance runner too, had a lot of great times, but nobody mentions him with Nurmi, Zatopek, Viren, Geb

Comment

[Ok here we go...

Zach is the fastest high schooler in Wyoming. He's never lost a race. Four times he's won the Wyoming State 100m. His PR...10.52!

Morris runs for Roosevelt in Dallas Texas. He's never won the Texas State 100m. Twice he did take second. His PR...10.40!

That is a tough call. A Wyoming sprinter will not have the warm long season training conditions of a Texas sprinter, he also will not be running against the stiffer competition which often brings out more in a kid.

Id guess that a .12 differential is not enough to suggest that Zach has less talent than Morris. We will need to wait until they reach the college level and each has access to comparable training and competition.
          ... nothing really ever changes my friend, new lines for old, new lines for old.

Comment

Texas, don't be silly. I'd hardly compare the Wyoming State Championship to the Texas State Championship. And I don't mess with that stuff anyway. I only look at major international championships, and Asafa Powell has not done well at that level. He's a great sprinter. Fernando Mamede was a great distance runner too, had a lot of great times, but nobody mentions him with Nurmi, Zatopek, Viren, Geb
            The point was...

It's all about the...competition. Who was Jesse Owens beating back in the 30's? Martinus Osendarp from Holland ran a 10.5 to take the bronze at the 36 Games. Four finalists couldn't beak a 10.5.

Comment

Originally posted by paulthefan
              [Ok here we go...

That is a tough call. A Wyoming sprinter will not have the warm long season training conditions of a Texas sprinter, he also will not be running against the stiffer competition which often brings out more in a kid.

Id guess that a .12 differential is not enough to suggest that Zach has less talent than Morris. We will need to wait until they reach the college level and each has access to comparable training and competition.
              Nothing tough about it. If a kid is winning Texas State he's a far superior sprinter to some kid winning Wyoming State. Key word.......competition.

Comment

Nothing tough about it. If a kid is winning Texas State he's a far superior sprinter to some kid winning Wyoming State. Key word.......competition.
                I won't hold the above mistake against you, reasonable people can disagree on that one...now get off the sofa and put Carr on that list before you further embarass yourself.

Ill go with:

Jesse Owens, Henry Carr, Tommie Smith, MJ.
                ... nothing really ever changes my friend, new lines for old, new lines for old.

Comment

Working...
                X