X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gh
    replied
    Originally posted by Texas
    As you might know he was also a footballer. He'd play defensive back for the Giants and then the Cowboys. Not much of an NFL career.
    Average length of an NFL career is about 3.5 years. He lasted 5. I think "not much of career" is a bit dismissive.

Leave a comment:

• dj
    replied
    Originally posted by dukehjsteve
    Originally posted by dj
    Originally posted by BillVol
    Interesting to look through the results. I wonder if Billy Hardin, LSU hurdler, was related to Slats?
    Son. One of only a few father-son U.S. track Olympian combos. Maybe the only father-son U.S. combo?

I'm forgetting the answer to the old trivia question.
    The Ablowiches.. not both Olympians but I think the Dad was.
    Yes, Dad Ed was on the '32 gold-medal 4x4.

Leave a comment:

• dukehjsteve
    replied
    Originally posted by dj
    Interesting to look through the results. I wonder if Billy Hardin, LSU hurdler, was related to Slats?
    Son. One of only a few father-son U.S. track Olympian combos. Maybe the only father-son U.S. combo?

The Ablowiches.. not both Olympians but I think the Dad was.

Leave a comment:

• dj
    replied

Leave a comment:

• BillVol
    replied
    http://www.secsports.com/index.php?s=&c ... le_id=1697

Went to the SEC site where they have the results at link above. Wow, a three-way tie in the 100y. Guess that meet was not FAT or photo finish.

Leave a comment:

• Texas
    replied
    Texas, did Richmond Flowers ever run sprints or relays (other than shuttle hurdle)?
    Here he is winning the SEC 100 yarder

1964 - Jim Webster, UT 9.6
    1965 - Marcus Rhoden, MSU 10.2
    1966 - Jim Wester, UT 9.5; Sammy Grezaffi, LSU 9.5
    1967 - Richmond Flowers, UT 9.8; Carroll Thrift, UT 9.8; Carl Hight, LSU 9.8
    1968 - Jim Green, UK 9.6; Carl Hight, LSU 9.6; Chick McGeehan, UT 9.6; Gary Wagner, UT 9.6
    1969 - Gary Wagner, UT 9.4

Leave a comment:

• BillVol
    replied
    http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/classic/ ... s_Richmond

I've linked that before here. No mention of him spriting, but it seems like I recall a picture of him with a relay team.

Texas, duke: Thanks for the info. I remember III playing for Duke.

Leave a comment:

• dukehjsteve
    replied
    Originally posted by Texas
    Texas, did Richmond Flowers ever run sprints or relays (other than shuttle hurdle)?
    Flowers has a 9.4 100 yard PR, so it appears he ran the 100. I have little doubts he also ran on that Vols 4x1 team. Don't know anything about him doing anything in the 100 or the relay however other than that PR.

As you might know he was also a footballer. He'd play defensive back for the Giants and then the Cowboys. Not much of an NFL career.
    And his son ( Richmond Flowers III )played football at Duke ( probably not good enough to play for Tenn). Do not think III ran Track though.

Leave a comment:

• Texas
    replied
    Flowers has a 9.4 100 yard PR, so it appears he ran the 100. I have little doubts he also ran on that Vols 4x1 team. Don't know anything about him doing anything in the 100 or the relay however other than that PR.

Leave a comment:

• BillVol
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Texas
    replied
    Don't forget Jeff Phillips for Tennessee. And Mike Miller...
    Tennessee would look like this...

Lamar Preyor
    Ricci Gardner
    Reggie Jones
    Terry Scott
    Sam Graddy
    Willie Gault
    Harlan Davis
    Leonard Scott
    Jeff Phillips
    Mike Miller
    Justin Gatlin
    Evander wells
    Rubin Williams

Yep...impressive!

Leave a comment:

• BillVol
    replied
    Don't forget Jeff Phillips for Tennessee. And Mike Miller...

Leave a comment:

• billthedog
    replied
    SC: Foy Draper (Olympic gold medalist)

Cal: Bob Kiesel (Olympic gold medalist), George Anderson (now discredited, I guess, 9.2 at Fresno), Arnold Nutting

Leave a comment:

• Texas
    replied
    Originally posted by paulthefan
    of all the guys that I have seen and I have seen alot on that list, one that stands out in my mind as being one of the most aesthetically perfect runners was Willie Gault. He was was too smooth to float. One close on that scale was Dwayne Evans.
    Ever see Ben Vaughn run?

Leave a comment:

• Texas
    replied
    Originally posted by bambam
    Texas, by your usual twisted logic of historical rationalization, how can you list Howard Drew for USC from 1914 and his 9.6 speed, and leave off OJ Simpson, who ran 9.4? After all, the only thing that matters is the person's PR in your overall historical rankings. Drew just doesn't cut it. I've seen videos of him running and he simply floats down the track, similar to Henry Carr, but we've heard enough about this and how those old guys ran on dirt tracks, and it just doesn't cut it ... got it, bro?
    Howard Drew was an Olympian and a WR holder, so he accomplished more than O.J.did in the individual sprints. He was one of the best in the world during his era, that can't be said about Simpson. I do look at who accomplished what. What I don't do is think some cat from 1936 can run with these guys today. Keep in mind back in the day there simply weren't as many sprinters. It was easier to be a winner due to the lack of competition.

I don't just look at PR's or I'd have a guy like Francis "9.2" Baldwin superior to Jesse "9.4" Owens. I have no doubts all things being equal Owens was the better sprinter.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X