X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Texas
    • May 2006

USA Sprint Factories

Would you believe a school that would have a sub10.00 guy not on their all time 4x1 relay? Try...TCU! A school that has seen six former Horned Frogs run a sub10.00. Some countries can't..hmm...most countries can't say that. How about...

Jon Drummond
    Percival Spenser
    Darvis Patton
    Ray Stewart
    Michael Frater
    Kim Collins

There was also...Phil Epps, Lindel Frater and Donovan Powell. All sub 10.20.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If we go back in history then it's all USC, with Olympians...

Howard Drew....first Afro American to hold a sprint WR, 1914.
    Charles Paddock...WR holder
    Frank Wykoff...WR holder
    Mel Patton...WR holder
    Lennox Miller
    Don Quarrie

There was also....James Sanford, Clancy Edwards, James Gilkes, Payton Jordan and the fastest Trojan ever time wise.........Jeff Laynes???????? Yep, his 10.01 is the fastest time ever ran by a Trojan sprinter. Hard to believe but true. No sub10.00 Trojan!

O.J.Simpson was a legit 9.4 guy but doesn't really deserve mention here.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Houston like all old former SWC schools has no ancient history in sprintdom. Same can be said about the SEC. We pick all those schools up in the 70's. The Cougars had the great Carl Lewis and Leroy Burrell, there was Oly 200m champ Joe DeLoach and Kirk Baptiste. Can't ignore NCAA Champ Sam Washington. Will mention Stanley Floyd when Auburn is talked about. He was more successful there.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~

Arizona State is a school you just don't think of when sprinting is mentioned, yet they need to be. Olympians Henry Carr, Dwayne Evans, Ron Brown, now add Travis Williams, Marcus Brunson, Jerry Bright, Charles Wells and J.D.Hill. This isn't about the 400 meters but I will mention it here because I think most aren't aware of the prowess this school has shown there. Try Olympians...Ron Freeman, Ulis Williams and Herm Frazier. Now add Maurice"43.1r" Peoples.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

UTEP had a national caliber sprinter back in it's Texas Western days. That was Clyde Glosson a 9.2/20.5 guy. That also had the Williams brothers Zeak and Terry. Since then we've seen Chris "USA National Champ" Garpenborg, Harrington "NCAA Champ" Jackson, Erroll Stewart, Steve Williams, Howard Williams, Mike Fray, Jerome Deal, Oba Thompson, Olapade Adeniken and Churandy Martina. Steve Williams being more successful as a San Diego State Aztec. Which is not a USA sprint factory..ha!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~

UCLA has had it's great sprinters starting with Panama's Lloyd LaBeach back in the 40's. He was one of the world's best. Then there was Hal Busby and Warren "NCAA Champ" Edmonson. Both 9.3 guys. There was Tom Jones a 200m NCAA champ and Olympic silver medalist in the 200m Millard Hampton. Of course the big Bruin studs were Ato Boldon and Mike Marsh. Henry Thomas also deserves mention. Like ASU, UCLA had a slew quartermilers, won't mention them however since they are well known.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~

Cliff Outlin a 9.3 cat was the first Auburn Tiger to make a splash on the national scene. Then here came Harvey Glance the first SEC sprinter to make an Olympic final. Now add...Coby Miller and Marc Burns. Stanley Floyd was the top ranked sprinter in 1980 despite not running in the Olympics.

Clemson is another school where...sprinters??? Oh hell yes! Try...Desai Williams, James Trapp, Michael Green, Dwight Thomas, Travis "NCAA Record Holder" Padgett and Olympic 200m champ Shawn Crawford.

Tennessee's first great sprinter was a cat who should be better known, he was around 6-4 and would be world ranked fourth in 1974, his name...Reggie Jones. The Vol's also had Leonard Scott, Olympian Sam Graddy, hurdler/sprinter Willie Gault, Terry "NCAA Champ" Scott and of course Justin Gatlin.

The Gators of Florida can brag about Bernard Williams, Aaron Armstrong, John Capel and Dennis Mitchell. Willie Perry?

Cal is another school where it's pretty much "back in the day" with the great Hal Davis and Leamon King. They did have Olympians Eddie Hart and Atlee Mahorn the Canadian. There was also Isacc Curtis a 9.3 guy who like Graddy, Gault, Ron Brown,Travis Williams, Henry Carr, J.D.Hill and James Trapp ended up in the NFL.

Forrest Beatty was a great multi talented high school star who never clicked at the collegiate level for some reason.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~

Arkansas, Florida State, LSU and South Carolina have "finally" started showing some serious sprint prowess. It's about time!

Won't mention the SWAC/MEAC and those HBCU schools. Their days of recruiting talented sprinters appear pretty much over. What a shame. No more...Bob Hayes, Jimmy Hines, Stone Johnson, Steve Riddick, Jeff Williams, George Anderson We do see the once in awhile Jason Smoots out of North Carolina Central, but rare.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~

Can't leave this topic without once again returning to San Jose and "Speed City". As we know there is no track program at SJS anymore. If that's not a major bummer, I don't know what is. Here it is the list of sprinters that were "Speed City" from the late 50's to the early 70's.

Ray Norton...WR holder/Olympian
    Dennis Johnson....WR holder/Olympian
    Bobby Poynter
    Tommie Smith...multi WR holder/Olympian
    Lee Evans...WR holder/Olympian
    Wayne Herman...9.4
    Ben Griffin...9.4
    Sam Davis...9.4
    Kirk Clayton...9.3
    Ronnie Ray Smith...WR holder/Olympian
    Bill Gaines...9.3
    John Carlos...WR holder/Olympian
    Vince Breddell
    Ken Thomas....10.0
    Ron Whitaker...10.0
  • bambam
    • Oct 2005
    • Durham, NC

Texas, by your usual twisted logic of historical rationalization, how can you list Howard Drew for USC from 1914 and his 9.6 speed, and leave off OJ Simpson, who ran 9.4? After all, the only thing that matters is the person's PR in your overall historical rankings. Drew just doesn't cut it. I've seen videos of him running and he simply floats down the track, similar to Henry Carr, but we've heard enough about this and how those old guys ran on dirt tracks, and it just doesn't cut it ... got it, bro?

Comment

• paulthefan
      • Oct 2005
      • Location, Location.

of all the guys that I have seen and I have seen alot on that list, one that stands out in my mind as being one of the most aesthetically perfect runners was Willie Gault. He was was too smooth to float. One close on that scale was Dwayne Evans.
      ... nothing really ever changes my friend, new lines for old, new lines for old.

Comment

• Texas
        • May 2006

Originally posted by bambam
        Texas, by your usual twisted logic of historical rationalization, how can you list Howard Drew for USC from 1914 and his 9.6 speed, and leave off OJ Simpson, who ran 9.4? After all, the only thing that matters is the person's PR in your overall historical rankings. Drew just doesn't cut it. I've seen videos of him running and he simply floats down the track, similar to Henry Carr, but we've heard enough about this and how those old guys ran on dirt tracks, and it just doesn't cut it ... got it, bro?
        Howard Drew was an Olympian and a WR holder, so he accomplished more than O.J.did in the individual sprints. He was one of the best in the world during his era, that can't be said about Simpson. I do look at who accomplished what. What I don't do is think some cat from 1936 can run with these guys today. Keep in mind back in the day there simply weren't as many sprinters. It was easier to be a winner due to the lack of competition.

I don't just look at PR's or I'd have a guy like Francis "9.2" Baldwin superior to Jesse "9.4" Owens. I have no doubts all things being equal Owens was the better sprinter.

Comment

• Texas
          • May 2006

Originally posted by paulthefan
          of all the guys that I have seen and I have seen alot on that list, one that stands out in my mind as being one of the most aesthetically perfect runners was Willie Gault. He was was too smooth to float. One close on that scale was Dwayne Evans.
          Ever see Ben Vaughn run?

Comment

• billthedog
            • Oct 2005

SC: Foy Draper (Olympic gold medalist)

Cal: Bob Kiesel (Olympic gold medalist), George Anderson (now discredited, I guess, 9.2 at Fresno), Arnold Nutting

Comment

• BillVol
              • Oct 2005
              • Chattanooga

Don't forget Jeff Phillips for Tennessee. And Mike Miller...

Comment

• Texas
                • May 2006

Originally posted by BillVol
                Don't forget Jeff Phillips for Tennessee. And Mike Miller...
                Tennessee would look like this...

Lamar Preyor
                Ricci Gardner
                Reggie Jones
                Terry Scott
                Sam Graddy
                Willie Gault
                Harlan Davis
                Leonard Scott
                Jeff Phillips
                Mike Miller
                Justin Gatlin
                Evander wells
                Rubin Williams

Yep...impressive!

Comment

• BillVol
                  • Oct 2005
                  • Chattanooga

Texas, did Richmond Flowers ever run sprints or relays (other than shuttle hurdle)?

Comment

• Texas
                    • May 2006

Texas, did Richmond Flowers ever run sprints or relays (other than shuttle hurdle)?
                    Flowers has a 9.4 100 yard PR, so it appears he ran the 100. I have little doubts he also ran on that Vols 4x1 team. Don't know anything about him doing anything in the 100 or the relay however other than that PR.

As you might know he was also a footballer. He'd play defensive back for the Giants and then the Cowboys. Not much of an NFL career.

Comment

• dukehjsteve
                      • Oct 2005
                      • Fishers, IN

Originally posted by Texas
                      Flowers has a 9.4 100 yard PR, so it appears he ran the 100. I have little doubts he also ran on that Vols 4x1 team. Don't know anything about him doing anything in the 100 or the relay however other than that PR.

As you might know he was also a footballer. He'd play defensive back for the Giants and then the Cowboys. Not much of an NFL career.
                      And his son ( Richmond Flowers III )played football at Duke ( probably not good enough to play for Tenn). Do not think III ran Track though.

Comment

• BillVol
                        • Oct 2005
                        • Chattanooga

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/classic/ ... s_Richmond

I've linked that before here. No mention of him spriting, but it seems like I recall a picture of him with a relay team.

Texas, duke: Thanks for the info. I remember III playing for Duke.

Comment

• Texas
                          • May 2006

Here he is winning the SEC 100 yarder

1964 - Jim Webster, UT 9.6
                          1965 - Marcus Rhoden, MSU 10.2
                          1966 - Jim Wester, UT 9.5; Sammy Grezaffi, LSU 9.5
                          1967 - Richmond Flowers, UT 9.8; Carroll Thrift, UT 9.8; Carl Hight, LSU 9.8
                          1968 - Jim Green, UK 9.6; Carl Hight, LSU 9.6; Chick McGeehan, UT 9.6; Gary Wagner, UT 9.6
                          1969 - Gary Wagner, UT 9.4

Comment

• BillVol
                            • Oct 2005
                            • Chattanooga

http://www.secsports.com/index.php?s=&c ... le_id=1697

Went to the SEC site where they have the results at link above. Wow, a three-way tie in the 100y. Guess that meet was not FAT or photo finish.

Interesting to look through the results. I wonder if Billy Hardin, LSU hurdler, was related to Slats?

Comment

• dj
                              Administrator
                              • Oct 2005

Interesting to look through the results. I wonder if Billy Hardin, LSU hurdler, was related to Slats?
                              Son. One of only a few father-son U.S. track Olympian combos. Maybe the only father-son U.S. combo?

I'm forgetting the answer to the old trivia question.

Comment

Working...
                              X