Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nd Californian to HJ 7 feet?

After Charley Dumas in 1956, who was the second Californian to clear 7 feet? I'm sure one of you jump fans i.e. JHc68, Steve197 will know....

Re: 2nd Californian to HJ 7 feet?

Yes, it has to be Joe Faust, I would think. He was also the youngest to jump 7' at the time... at Stanford Stadium during the '60 Olympic Trials behind John Thomas's WR 7 3-3/4 jumping off the old rolled grass take off apron. The jump runways were close-cropped and tamped down grass, sort of like a putting green. It was cool. Who was the next California 7-footer? Bob Avant? then Lew Hoyt? Gene Johnson? Paul Stuber?

Comment

Those grass runways did seem slow, but they had a sort of spring back quality to them that is hard to describe. I PR'd there in the triple and matched my hj PR on the same day. The negative of competing there was that huge, mostly empty spooky stadium. It seemed even more cavernous than the LA Coliseum during dual meets.
      Who jumped 7-feet first between Lew Hoyt and Gene Johnson? Talk about opposites... Hoyt was so powerful and Johnson looked like he might blow away in the breeze!

Comment

Well, at least she got you motivated!!! I might have HIGH JUMPED 17 feet under those circumstances!!!
        The first time I competed at Stanford Stadium we traveled from there straight over to the old West Coast Relays in Fresno. Man, were those two fabulous venues for competing!

Comment

Keep going guys...it's fun just following your nostalgia of those "old days"! I remember Joe Faust--he was amazing...wasn't he fairly small, short? I remember him just running up and popping over with his finesse straddle.

Comment

>Keep going guys..
            That goes for me to. I love that story about oldvaulter's PR at Stanford. That California track circuit was really something in those days.
            Even now, after having been in California many times, I still associate names likes Fresno, Stockton, Bakersfield and Sanger with track.

Comment

Modesto, too. They used to have the California JC Championships at Modesto every year and it was a high quality meet. I had two team-mates from Santa Ana JC who got on the US-USSR dual meet sqaud (Eddie Caruthers and Fred Kuller). Except when the wind blew too hard, late spring evening meets at Fresno and Modesto produced near perfect conditions, great competition and enthusiastic, informed spectators. Everyone wanted to do well. At Fresno they used to give cool watches to winners... I was frustrated by getting 2nd places two years in a row and getting a belt buckle and a tie clip, respectively! Oh, well, I few years ago I found the tie clip in a trunk full of old track stuff, got it out and figured out it was actually useful all these years later :-)

Comment

Yes, that was what made Faust look so silky smooth and almost floating...both lead and trail legs straight!

And, old vaulter, I love your review of the classic T&F days of the California late 50's and early 60's...I personally attended Compton, Coliseum Relays and the great dual meets between USC and UCLA.

Comment

Working...
                X