Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• trivia about WR holder

Since we're in a bit of quiz/trivia mode on the non-T&F forum, here's another one, but that is T&F-related.

Of all the current individual World Records in standard Oly events, which is(are) held by a person that was not recruited* out of High School and was a walk-on for his university T&F team?

*note that many walk-ons are actually recruited and told they won't get an athletic scholie but do get other aid or support. In this instance, that did not occur.

Re: trivia about WR holder

Originally posted by richxx87
    Since we're in a bit of quiz/trivia mode on the non-T&F forum, here's another one, but that is T&F-related.

Of all the current individual World Records in standard Oly events, which is(are) held by a person that was not recruited* out of High School and was a walk-on for his university T&F team?

*note that many walk-ons are actually recruited and told they won't get an athletic scholie but do get other aid or support. In this instance, that did not occur.
    Kevin Young?

Comment

Mike Powell? For some reason, I remember him being a HJer before he was a LJer...

Comment

I'm with Cooter on this one. Note that there are only three US men who hold individual records in standard OG events, Michael Johnson being the one not yet mentioned and I remember his being a top high schooler so he can't be it. My recollection of the other two is less clear, but I think Powell is right.

Comment

Dan Lincoln, an AR record-holder, was a walk-on at Arkansas.

Comment

WELL DONE STEVE!

Kevin Young is correct. He went to Jordan HS in Watts (L. A.) and was a so-so prospect with a 37.54 in the 300h, lost in the shuffle, not on the medal podium, the same year that George Porter was running wild and setting national records (35.32) and being chased by Hawthorne's Mike Graham (35.56). Young applied and was accepted at UCLA as a regular student, and then simply tried out for the track team like people used to do a hundred years ago. John Smith looked at his long legs and put him on the 12-step program and the rest is history.

Cooter mentioned Powell. He was a star jumper in HS (all 3), highly recruited, and very good B-ball player, and took a scholie from UC Irvine with every intention to do both. Eventually transferred to UCLA (on scholie) and focused on the LJ.

BTW... Graham (the runner-up to Porter throughout HS) still holds what national HS record?

Comment

BTW... Graham (the runner-up to Porter throughout HS) still holds what national HS record?
              4x400 & Sprint Medley??
              If you're ever walking down the beach and you see a girl dressed in a bikini made out of seashells, and you pick her up and hold her to your ear, you can hear her scream.

Comment

HSR for Hawthorne's 3:07.40. Ran lead-off.

Comment

Dietmar and DJ are both correct. His relay mates in both relays were Mike Marsh, Henry Thomas and a half-miler named Sean Kelley. For the epic 4x4 record, Thomas ran a scorching 44.5 anchor to beat Roy Martin and his Dallas-Roosevelt squad in their own backyard (I think it was the 1985 TX relays ).

Comment

Working...
                  X