Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hey, marknhj... what do you know about Michael Campbell?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• marknhj
    replied
    Easy answer - I've never heard of him. A quick look in my records shows an indoor mark of 2.03m (6' 8") in 1969.

Do you have a link to the claim of 7' 5"? A barefaced lie, unless he meant pole vaulting. He wasn't an Olympian and I'd be pretty surprised if he represented GB in athletics for 14 years...

Leave a comment:

• Conor Dary
    replied
    Pretty funny. The guy is supposedly going to all the grand prix meets, and fitting a few Test cricket matches in between. He probably also scored the winning goal in the World Cup.

Some people sure are delusional.

By the way, did you see the photos of all my gold medals?

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied
    Was not an Olympian.

His bio reminds me of a famous poseur of 30-odd years ago. West Indian, think his name was Donald Weekes. Even Jack Bauer wouldn't have been able to handle him.

Leave a comment:

• Hey, marknhj... what do you know about Michael Campbell?

I've seen photos of Michael Campbell that claim to be practice clearances of 7' 5" straddling way back when the WR was Brumel's 7' 5 3/4". Also, claims that he was the UK national record holder, but the best documented marks I've found for him are in the 6' 8" to 6' 10" range.

Do you know anything about him? His website paints a larger than life renaissance man sort of image of him: engineer, author, adventurer, photographer and as for athletics:

"His full life also included more than a normal involvement in athletics. He was an Olympic athlete, holder of the British record for High Jump, and travelled all over Europe representing his country in international meets for 14 years. He was proclaimed one of the best cricketers of his generation and represented England while still at school. While a student he represented British Universities in cricket, tennis, golf, table tennis, squash, and track and field athletics as well as being the university chess champion."

Is this story one to be believed?
Working...
X