Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Capital To Gold Medal

Eddie Tolan was born in Colorado's capital and Jean Shiley was born in the capital of Pennsylvania. This athlete won an Olympic gold medal and was also born in the capital of a U.S. state. I don't want to make this too easy, so here are some hints: He ran fast. He competed in the Summer Olympic Games with the highest elevation. The state in which he was born touches the Atlantic Ocean. Who is this gold medal athlete, born in a capital?

It's got to be Mexico City. Here's a SWAG at Jim Hines, born in any one of 18 state capitals ! ( If those on the Gulf of Mexico count)

Comment

Hines was born in Arkansas, which does not touch the Atlantic.

Comment

That's right. Jimmy Hines was born in Arkansas. Arkansas is landlocked. Not a bad guess though.

Comment

Mel Pender

Comment

Slowcat, you might be slow, but you are good. Yes, it is Mel Pender. Mel was born in the capital of Georgia (Atlanta) and won a gold medal on our 4 X 100 relay team in Mexico City.

Now you know what Eddie Tolan, Jean Shiley, and Mel Pender have in common by their births. All were born in a state capital. Watch out, there might be more later.

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman
              Well, I am certainly aware that Arkansas does not touch the Atlantic, but how was I to know where Hines was born... I was just guessing that maybe he was born in Austin, since he went to Texas Southern ( or at least I think he did.) To repeat, it was a SWAG, nothing more. I for sure did not research birthplaces, that would clearly be outside " The Rules."

Comment

You have my permission to do as much research as you like. I wouldn't except anyone to know where Jimmy Hines was born (except maybe his parents). Guessing is just part of the game.

Comment

Originally posted by Double R Bar
                  You have my permission to do as much research as you like. I wouldn't except anyone to know where Jimmy Hines was born (except maybe his parents). Guessing is just part of the game.
                  NO NO NO.... using "research" to find answers totally RUINS Trivia on this Board ! Correct Garry ?!

Comment

Originally posted by dukehjsteve
                    Originally posted by Double R Bar
                    NO NO NO.... using "research" to find answers totally RUINS Trivia on this Board ! Correct Garry ?!
                    Research for something with this many clues must remain illegal!

If you know the '68 U.S. team, it doesn't take long to google "Mel Pender born." The third entry is:
                    Full name: Melvin "Mel" Pender, Jr. Gender: Male Height: 5'5" (165 cm) Weight: 150 lbs (68 kg) Born: October 31, 1937 in Atlanta, Georgia, . . .

Comment

Well, I am certainly aware that Arkansas does not touch the Atlantic, but how was I to know where Hines was born... I was just guessing that maybe he was born in Austin . . .
                      You thought that Texas touches the Atlantic? :roll:

Comment

Originally posted by dj
                        ...not to mention frowned upon. :?

cman

Comment

Well, I am certainly aware that Arkansas does not touch the Atlantic, but how was I to know where Hines was born... I was just guessing that maybe he was born in Austin . . .
                          You thought that Texas touches the Atlantic? :roll:
                          In a way, yes... is not The Caribbean "part" of the Atlantic ? But I suppose not... but I assure you I know the geography of the whole deal. So I was throwing Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi and Alabama into the Atlantic mix.

Comment

Originally posted by cullman
                            Originally posted by dj
                            ...not to mention frowned upon. :?

cman
                            Thank you for your support on this issue. Any dork can research answers.. especially with Google and similar sources. That's just pathetic, really ! The fun is pulling answers out of obscure trivia recesses of our Track dweeb brains, right ??!!

Comment

... is not The Caribbean "part" of the Atlantic ?
                              The Caribbean, perhaps. But the Gulf of Mexico? Technically, it may be, but I don't think anyone thinks of the Gulf states as touching the Atlantic (other than Florida, which has coasts on both the Atlantic and the Gulf).

Comment

Working...
                              X