Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Brian
    Originally posted by Texas
    Edwards having the better 200m NCAA career isn't the topic however. Who had the better 1976 Olympics, Hasley Crawford or Valery Borzov? Who was the faster sprinter? Who is better Richard Thompson or Asafa Powell? Who had the better 2008 Olympic final?

I don't think the world ever came close to seeing Edward's true potential at either the 100 or 200, as word was back then that he was allergic to practicing his starts. :]

No denying the sheer talent, though.
    Edwards was a great sprinter, if you recall he was ranked second in the world in the 100 in 1978. Too lazy to check out his 200 ranking. Nobody is saying he wasn't a great sprinter. The deal is so was Leroy Burrell. There is no doubt Burrell was the better 100 man, not even debatable. Burrell's 19.61w in beating MJ should send a message. That tells me that "if" he'd taken the deuce seriously, he'd had been a major force there. He would have made an impact. Yes I do see him doing things Edwards didn't do in the event. Obviously that's just guess work based on one lone race so ..........

Comment

The Burrell 19.61w is totally meaningless, given that the wind was so strong that the gauge couldn't even measure it. He was good enough to get some decent World Ranking spots, but his entire body of work doesn't suggest to me that he would have been among the event's all-time greats had he spent more time at it.

Comment

don't forget he had history's greatest 200 coach - a man who coached 3 different men to 3 succesive og gold & all in nigh-on wr shape

i have little doubt tellez couda turned leroy into a 19.8 guy if leroy was interested

Comment

Originally posted by gh
          The Burrell 19.61w is totally meaningless, given that the wind was so strong that the gauge couldn't even measure it. He was good enough to get some decent World Ranking spots, but his entire body of work doesn't suggest to me that he would have been among the event's all-time greats had he spent more time at it.
          The guy did run a 19.61 and he did beat MJ. He also had 9.85 jets. I'
          m guessing that if the 200m had been on his list of things to do he's running 19.85ish stuff. Just a gut feeling.

Comment

Originally posted by eldrick
            don't forget he had history's greatest 200 coach - a man who coached 3 different men to 3 succesive og gold & all in nigh-on wr shape

i have little doubt tellez couda turned leroy into a 19.8 guy if leroy was interested
            I think 19.85 sounds about right.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas
              Originally posted by eldrick

I think 19.85 sounds about right.
              not bad, makes one wonder what Tellez could have acomplished with Clancy had Clancy been born 10 years later.
              ... nothing really ever changes my friend, new lines for old, new lines for old.

Comment

Eugene, June 19; wind +2.5
                1. Mike Marsh (SMTC) 19.97w
                2. Carl Lewis (SMTC) 20.07w
                3. Jason Hendrix (Blinn) 20.35w
                4. Leroy Burrell (SMTC) 20.35w
                5. Floyd Heard (SMTC) 20.47w
                6. Chris Nelloms (OhSt) 20.49w
                7. Bryan Bridgewater (SMTC) 20.51w
                8. David Oaks (Ok) 20.78w
                New Orleans, June 28; wind +1.0
                31 contestants, 8 finalists