Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What was Butch Reynolds doing when...

during the 1989 season just before he would race he would grab a jar from his bag, scoop his finger in the jar and then proceed to rub it throughout his mouth. I think this was the Zurich race but I am sure he did it throughout the season. Can't remember him doing it in Seoul though.

I have always wondered what this was. Supplements? Bicarb? Something to keep his mouth from getting dry? So strange.

Never seen any other athlete do it. Just copying my VHS tapes to DVD and was watching the '89 season and wondered.

Any ideas?

I recall somebody from my college team talking about guys on his HS team doing something that might be it: liniment (!). A smelling-salts kind of effect.

Comment

A million years ago when I ran high school Cross Country, we had something called "Atomic Balm", which was used not only for sore muscles, but also a small amount inside the mouth to help ward off cotton mouth while running.

Comment

Originally posted by dukehjsteve
        A million years ago when I ran high school Cross Country, we had something called "Atomic Balm", which was used not only for sore muscles, but also a small amount inside the mouth to help ward off cotton mouth while running.
        then 2 million years ago when I ran HS we had something called water that was used for this purpose.
        ... nothing really ever changes my friend, new lines for old, new lines for old.

Comment

I like the idea of using smelling salts or similar. I always thought if weightlifters we doing it then maybe sprinters should be. I think I would like to see Usain run on the smelling salts

Comment

I'm thinking of adding some smelling salts to my morning coffee.

Comment

Originally posted by paulthefan
              then 2 million years ago when I ran HS we had something called water that was used for this purpose.
              Very funny.
              "Who's Kidding Who?"

Comment

paulthe fan, had water even been invented when you were in high school ? Had schools been started then ?

Comment

paulthe fan, had water even been invented when you were in high school ? Had schools been started then ?
                  We did have schools, but they were far more like makeshift barracks with a large fan and a few lights. The lights were not really needed since the windows would pour in alot of light. We started the morning at 7am with prayer, a psalm reading and by the time of HS the pledge. I seem to recall more than a few kids being let out early to help back on their family farms right after noon time. There were no water fountains in the halls if that is what you mean, but we did have a very large water well that we would pump to spill out water where we would all drink with our faces in the stream. I never saw a kid come into school without shoes, I probably saw one unruly fellow during my entire school experience and we all read by the 2nd grade whether our parents were able to read or not. We had about 25 kids per classroom but Im convinced that those teachers could have handled 30 of us and got the job done.
                  ... nothing really ever changes my friend, new lines for old, new lines for old.

Comment

Still available, along with the slightly milder sister product, Cramergesic. Their packaging hasn't changed a lick: http://www.cramersportsmed.com/products ... 60&path=AT

Cramer Chemical was founder and based in my little hometown. It was started by two brothers, one of whom was KU pole vaulter. For all intents and purposes, they founded the athletic training industry. http://www.cramersportsmed.com/aboutUs.jsp?path=at

Comment

Originally posted by Zat0pek
                      Still available, along with the slightly milder sister product, Cramergesic. Their packaging hasn't changed a lick: http://www.cramersportsmed.com/products ... 60&path=AT

Cramer Chemical was founder and based in my little hometown. It was started by two brothers, one of whom was KU pole vaulter. For all intents and purposes, they founded the athletic training industry. http://www.cramersportsmed.com/aboutUs.jsp?path=at
                      Good stuff, Emil.. Shows that I had not just imagined it all, from 50 years ago !

Comment

Originally posted by Zat0pek

The website says "Medium penetrating warmth." They must have toned down the ingredients a lot in the 45+ years since I last used it. I had a trainer in college put some of that stuff on a strained gluteal once and I thought my rear end was on fire!

Comment

Originally posted by paulthefan
                          We did have schools, but they were far more like makeshift barracks with a large fan and a few lights. The lights were not really needed since the windows would pour in alot of light. We started the morning at 7am with prayer, a psalm reading and by the time of HS the pledge. I seem to recall more than a few kids being let out early to help back on their family farms right after noon time. There were no water fountains in the halls if that is what you mean, but we did have a very large water well that we would pump to spill out water where we would all drink with our faces in the stream. I never saw a kid come into school without shoes, I probably saw one unruly fellow during my entire school experience and we all read by the 2nd grade whether our parents were able to read or not. We had about 25 kids per classroom but Im convinced that those teachers could have handled 30 of us and got the job done.
                          Did you write with wooden quills with exchangeable tips, with inkwells in the desks? We did.

We also had prayers. For about 10% of class, those were prayers they did not believe in, but had to participate and felt confused.

We also had kids that did not read in the second grade (or fifth), quite a few of them. We also had kids with lice and scabies. We also had teachers that would beat the kids to a bloody pulp.

Just pointing out that those "good old days" were not necessarily that great and what may be good for a goose is not necessarily good for the gander.
                          "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                          by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

The concept of being unable to read at anything beyond first grade is incomprehensible to me. In my part of the world (at least in my era back with the dinosaurs), if you didn't read, you didn't leave first grade.

Comment

Working...
                            X