Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If I did a Big10 Championships....

..thread, you wouldn't believe all the old timers that would be mentioned. Has Northwestern ever had a sprinter to compare with Jim Golliday? How about Michigan and Eddie Tolan? Look at the Fighting Illini prior to 1968... Herb McKenley, Willie Williams and Trenton Jackson. Who have they had since? Is there another Ohio State Buckeye who compares to Jesse Owens? Well actually there has been in long jumpers Chris Sanders and Joe Greene and sprinter Chris Nelloms. Jesse would however still be on that 4x1 relay and I'm sure there are those who think his 36 marks are actually superior to those that came much later. Is Nate Adams "still" the fastest Purdue Boilermaker? A Big10 Championships would bring back golden oldies like DeHart Hubbard and not so golden oldies Herb Washington and Marshal Dill. Remember Lloyd LaBeach actually started off at Wisconsin.

Re: If I did a Big10 Championships....

Originally posted by Texas
    Is there another Ohio State Buckeye who compares to Jesse Owens? Well actually there has been in long jumpers Chris Sanders and Joe Greene . . ..
    And Paul Warfield.

Comment

Re: If I did a Big10 Championships....

Originally posted by tandfman
      Originally posted by Texas
      Is there another Ohio State Buckeye who compares to Jesse Owens? Well actually there has been in long jumpers Chris Sanders and Joe Greene . . ..
      And Paul Warfield.
      Paul Warfield was no Jesse Owens. He was a 26-0 jumper.

Comment

Of course he was no Jesse Owens. But considering the difference in era, he was as good as Sanders.

Comment

Warfield was good enough to rank No. 4 in the world!

Comment

Well he was not a Big 10'er back then, but there is Penn State's Barney Ewell.

Comment

Big 10 has had notable success in the Olympic LJ; Owens was only the third of four gold medalists in the event.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                Big 10 has had notable success in the Olympic LJ; Owens was only the third of four gold medalists in the event.
                Only one of the others was noted in the opening message.

Comment

yes, that was a subtle "name them" hint

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman
                    Of course he was no Jesse Owens. But considering the difference in era, he was as good as Sanders.
                    You actually have to keep athletes in their era. If we look at school records, national records, world records and all time lists, there is no special treatment because of era. If we look at the all time list for Buckeye long jumpers you won't find Paul Warfield listed above Owens ,Sanders and Greene. It simply doesn't work that way. We have to go by what was actually accomplished. Does Jimmy Brown average over 5 yards a carry in todays NFL? What would Barry Sanders do against those NFL defenses of 1964, a time when we still hard slow white defensive backs and 260 pound defensive linemen? Imagine Jerome Bettis is 1948?

I keep index cards of all those schools that meet a certain criteria. I can't have a 26-0er over guys jumping 26-10. I can't have 10.2 hand timed guys over 10.20 guys. I have to go with what was actually accomplished. Too many here ignore one very important aspect of all this, that being the competitive level. Just how many great tracksters were there once upon a time?

Comment

Working...
                    X