Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• then n' now

So there sits grandpa drinking a beer and reading Field & Stream when his grandson Timmy asks..."where did you get all those trophies and medals grandpa?" Grandpa smiles and says.."I won them running track :lol: " your grandpa was fast in his younger days. That got a.."how fast were you?'...from Timmy. Grandpa.."I ran a 9.3 100 yard dash :lol: "

A few weeks later....

Timmy...hey grandpa, Johnny (older brother) told me you ran a 9.6 100 yard dash. Didn't you tell me a 9.3?
    Grandpa....well it was a dirt track and the wind was in my face and it was 1958. On one of these super duper tracks today and maybe a 1.5 helping wind that 9.6 would be a 9.3. I was just doing the conversion :lol:
    Timmy...gotcha :lol:

Re: then n' now

or maybe it went something like this:

So there sits grandpa drinking a beer and reading Field & Stream when his grandson

Timmy asks..."where did you get all those trophies and medals grandpa?"

Grandpa says.."I won them running track, your grandpa was fast in his younger days."

Timmy: "how fast were you?'...
    Grandpa.."I ran a 9.6 100 yard dash"

(a few hours later)

Timmy...hey grandpa, Johnny (older brother) told me you ran those 9.6 100 yard dashs on a dirt track, ... Is that true?

Grandpa....well of course it certainly was a dirt track back in 1958 and the wind was in my face a few times too. This was all long before your father was born.

Timmy: .. Wow, I run on dirt all the time and when I went and ran on the new rubber track over at the college I run way faster, I feel like Im flying.. ... I bet you would have run a 9.2 on these rubber tracks..

Granpa: Well Timmy maybe a 9.4 but lets not get carried away, I never took it all that seriously with all the farm chores we had to do back in Kansas. Of course even if they had rubber like that back then the officals would never have allowed us to run on such a fast surface, it would have been viewed as cheating the record books. I was good but there were alot of guys faster than me, I liked hunting and fishing alot more. Now show me how fast you can fetch grandpa a cold one and Ill tell you a story about a Texas guy bigger and faster than grandpa that they called the Sugar Land Express.
    ... nothing really ever changes my friend, new lines for old, new lines for old.

Comment

Hahahahahaha :lol: '

Then there's....

Timmy....so you saw Jim Brown play?
      Grandpa...many times! He was the best ever?

Timmy...weren't the players smaller and slower in his day?
      Grandpa...well your dad is bigger than me and you're bigger than your dad. People are getting bigger and faster. There were no 300 pounders in Browns day, today there isn't a pro team without a half dozen or so 300 pounders. Same with speed. Few 4.4 guys back then, now every team has a slew of them.

Timmy...why didn't you go to college and run?
      Grandpa...I had to get a job, help support the family. Running was something I did for fun. After high school it was time to get serious. Wanna coke?

Timmy...no thanks, we have a fast guy at my school named Uzekial McKinley he took second at the state meet last year and ran a 10.42. I wonder what he would have ran back in your day?
      Grandpa....well I'll be damn!

Timmy...what?
      Grandpa....I ran against a Jeremiah McKinley who attended Bishop (cross town rival) he was a 9.5 guy. Beat me like a drum :cry: I wonder if they are related? Notice most those trophies and medals are for second place?

Timmy...I'll ask Uzekial, maybe our grandpa's....hahahaha!!!!! What do you think of Usain Bolt?
      Grandpa...back in the 50's there was another Jamaican who was real tall like Bolt and was one of the world's greatest 400 meter men. His name was Arthur Wint. I see Bolt as being like a Wint in that he has an amazing stride. A 400 meter man who has speed to go with that abnormal stride. A rather unique combination in the 100 meters. We have never seen a 6-5 guy excell at that distance. It's his stride.

Timmy...how would these guys today do back in 1958?
      Grandpa...speed is speed, you either have it or you don't. It's a gift. Bolt or Tyson Gay the best American would be doing what they are doing today. They are winners and will always be winners. The only difference would be in their times. Times mean nothing however unless you're winning. You compete to win not run some time. So you have a girlfriend?

Timmy...a few :lol:
      Grandpa...then there are somethings that never change....haha!!!!!

Comment

And if they talk about the 440/400, Grandpa can tell Timmy that it was uphill on both sides of the track. :wink:

I picture Bob and Ray doing the above conversations.

Comment

Originally posted by Halfmiler2
          And if they talk about the 440/400, Grandpa can tell Timmy that it was uphill on both sides of the track. :wink:

I picture Bob and Ray doing the above conversations.
          yeah, today' s generation is so honest and talented, it is that dasterdly lieing grandpa in the family that causes all the problems, and he was slow and small too.
          ... nothing really ever changes my friend, new lines for old, new lines for old.

Comment

Working...
          X