Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Who is Pete Romero?

Originally posted by DrJay
    Front page article. Never heard of his 8:42 HS 2 mile.
    There was no 8: 42 2 mile from Peter at Reedley High. The 8:53 was a time trial and the 8:54 was his recorded mark. I witnessed Peter's runner-up 2-mile to Ralph Games )9:05 as a Jr. and state meet win as a Sr. 9:00:1. I went with him and coach Cameron Ostrand to S.F. Cowpalace 2-mile where he sort of lost contact with Marty L. in the two but recovered and made a furious rush in the last two laps to barely miss catching Marty.

Used to run morning runs along the trails and vineyards and special distance fun runs with Peter and his buddies at Reedley--I was a teacher and newbie runner that the guys on the xc and track team adopted and let run with them.

Peter ("conejo") was a very companionable modest, and indefatigable guy on the road or track--relentless as a pacer. He always praised his teammates, worked his butt off and loved to joke and b.s. to and from meets. He ran an amazing steeplechase at Bakersfield--(9:10 I believe) in his first effort--that was a meet where Ryun ran a 3:51 I believe.

I think he went to UTEP and then went on to coach at Clovis, CA.

A fond memory of a righteous running friend.

jimE

I have not researched anything here, just relied on memory, so do what I may have coming...

Comment

Originally posted by jamese1045
      Peter at Reedley High. .
      There was an SI article, circa 1967 I think, about the top HS track athletes in the country. It had a picture of Pete running in the vineyards.
      SI said that for those who question the US's dominance in the Oly. can forget it.
      Funny thing is that Marty in '68 was the only one that made an Oly. team. I don't think any of the others had any running sucess beyond college. So much for the SI prognosticators.

Comment

Originally posted by runforlife
        Originally posted by jamese1045
        Peter at Reedley High. .
        There was an SI article, circa 1967 I think, about the top HS track athletes in the country. It had a picture of Pete running in the vineyards.
        SI said that for those who question the US's dominance in the Oly. can forget it.
        Funny thing is that Marty in '68 was the only one that made an Oly. team. I don't think any of the others had any running sucess beyond college. So much for the SI prognosticators.
        I remember that photo! Haven't seen it since '67, but your description above caused some rusty old synapses to spark...thanks!

Comment

It's a nice photo on page 37 of the June 26, 1967 issue of SI. Find it by going to http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/ ... /index.htm
          and clicking on the "view this issue" button.

Same issue, page 59, has a cool article about the NCAA finals at BYU and the USC 4x110 relay record that still stands (as much as a yard-distance relay stands at all!)

Comment

who is pete romero?

I am Pete Romero, and am resending my previous message, because I wrote w/o my glasses and in a hurry and then later realized I made a bunch of errrors. I survived a near death bout with "resulin," a pill prescribed to me for my diabetes condition. in 1999. This medication did a great deal of damage to my liver, however, during my illness and recuperation I realized how blessed I was to have the genes to run, to have had great coaching, and a will to win. The writer, ( like some of the the arm chair QB's who have been emailing regarding my running career,) , failed to do his homework. The time given by the paper was incorrect.

More info:
            -My triple runs at Reedley High in 1967 were NOT paced!
            -At the high school national meet in 1967 I won the two mile and also placed 5th in the mile behind Marty Liquori.
            -Unlike the great coach, Cam Ostrand, that I had at Reedley High, at UTEP the distance runners had no coach. Wayne Vandenburg, the track coach was a great recruiter, but the runners were on their own.
            -At UTEP I anchored a four mile relay that upset Jim Ryan's Kansas team at Drake Relays in 1969. For that I received a AAU All American certificate.
            -I was on a winning NCAA two-mile relay team in 1971.
            -I was also a member of the NCAA Cross Country champions in 1969.

Comment

Thank you for your comments!

Comment

Working...
              X