Clear All

• kuha
    replied
    Thank you for your comments!

Leave a comment:

• pete romero
    replied
    who is pete romero?

I am Pete Romero, and am resending my previous message, because I wrote w/o my glasses and in a hurry and then later realized I made a bunch of errrors. I survived a near death bout with "resulin," a pill prescribed to me for my diabetes condition. in 1999. This medication did a great deal of damage to my liver, however, during my illness and recuperation I realized how blessed I was to have the genes to run, to have had great coaching, and a will to win. The writer, ( like some of the the arm chair QB's who have been emailing regarding my running career,) , failed to do his homework. The time given by the paper was incorrect.

More info:
    -My triple runs at Reedley High in 1967 were NOT paced!
    -At the high school national meet in 1967 I won the two mile and also placed 5th in the mile behind Marty Liquori.
    -Unlike the great coach, Cam Ostrand, that I had at Reedley High, at UTEP the distance runners had no coach. Wayne Vandenburg, the track coach was a great recruiter, but the runners were on their own.
    -At UTEP I anchored a four mile relay that upset Jim Ryan's Kansas team at Drake Relays in 1969. For that I received a AAU All American certificate.
    -I was on a winning NCAA two-mile relay team in 1971.
    -I was also a member of the NCAA Cross Country champions in 1969.

Leave a comment:

• jhc68
    replied
    It's a nice photo on page 37 of the June 26, 1967 issue of SI. Find it by going to http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/ ... /index.htm
    and clicking on the "view this issue" button.

Same issue, page 59, has a cool article about the NCAA finals at BYU and the USC 4x110 relay record that still stands (as much as a yard-distance relay stands at all!)

Leave a comment:

• kuha
    replied
    Re: Who is Pete Romero?

Originally posted by runforlife
    Originally posted by jamese1045
    Peter at Reedley High. .
    There was an SI article, circa 1967 I think, about the top HS track athletes in the country. It had a picture of Pete running in the vineyards.
    SI said that for those who question the US's dominance in the Oly. can forget it.
    Funny thing is that Marty in '68 was the only one that made an Oly. team. I don't think any of the others had any running sucess beyond college. So much for the SI prognosticators.
    I remember that photo! Haven't seen it since '67, but your description above caused some rusty old synapses to spark...thanks!

Leave a comment:

• runforlife
    replied

Originally posted by jamese1045
    Peter at Reedley High. .
    There was an SI article, circa 1967 I think, about the top HS track athletes in the country. It had a picture of Pete running in the vineyards.
    SI said that for those who question the US's dominance in the Oly. can forget it.
    Funny thing is that Marty in '68 was the only one that made an Oly. team. I don't think any of the others had any running sucess beyond college. So much for the SI prognosticators.

Leave a comment:

• jamese1045
    replied

Originally posted by DrJay
    Front page article. Never heard of his 8:42 HS 2 mile.
    There was no 8: 42 2 mile from Peter at Reedley High. The 8:53 was a time trial and the 8:54 was his recorded mark. I witnessed Peter's runner-up 2-mile to Ralph Games )9:05 as a Jr. and state meet win as a Sr. 9:00:1. I went with him and coach Cameron Ostrand to S.F. Cowpalace 2-mile where he sort of lost contact with Marty L. in the two but recovered and made a furious rush in the last two laps to barely miss catching Marty.

Used to run morning runs along the trails and vineyards and special distance fun runs with Peter and his buddies at Reedley--I was a teacher and newbie runner that the guys on the xc and track team adopted and let run with them.

Peter ("conejo") was a very companionable modest, and indefatigable guy on the road or track--relentless as a pacer. He always praised his teammates, worked his butt off and loved to joke and b.s. to and from meets. He ran an amazing steeplechase at Bakersfield--(9:10 I believe) in his first effort--that was a meet where Ryun ran a 3:51 I believe.

I think he went to UTEP and then went on to coach at Clovis, CA.

A fond memory of a righteous running friend.

jimE

I have not researched anything here, just relied on memory, so do what I may have coming...

Leave a comment:

• tc
    replied
    The interclass meet was 27 February at Reedley: 1:56.6, 4:15.0, 8:53.0. The 8:54.6 was in a dual meet against McLane (Fresno), also at Reedley, on 10 March. He had only two more sub-9:00s in 67, on 21 March and 4 April.

Leave a comment:

• no one
    replied
    Eastbay -

Was he as smooth a runner as I recall - one of those ultra efficient guys?

Leave a comment:

• EastBayprepoftheweek67
    replied
    Originally posted by dj
    Originally posted by no one
    my 'impression' of the triple cited was that it was time trials - all the more impressive.
    I'm sure you're right. An intrasquad meet at Reedley probably didn't produce any competition for Romero, although it is possible the runs were handicapped in some way, or perhaps paced.

One can certainly imagine the 2M being run against the school's 2MR B team.
    Dave, I doubt Romero needed any pacing.

The first of two times I recall running against him, he just started at his pace and kept at it. Unfortunately for me, I tried to stay with him. It was at an all-comers high school 2 mile race at Edwards Stadium, Berkeley, December, 1966, which had been announced as a qualifying race to get into the San Fancisco Examiner's upcoming "Gerry Lindgren" Invitational HS 2 Mile at its indoors meet in early 1967. At Edwards, Romero ran his first lap in 65 secs, and I was tucked in right behind him. He ran his first 660 in 1:37, and I was tucked in right behind him. He ran his next 220 in whatever, and I was tuckered out and not anywhere near him. He got an invitation to run against Liquori, where he came second in a great battle to the finish in 9:06.

My next race against him was the HS Distance Medley Relay at the West Coast Relays in Fresno, in May, '67. I have no idea what pace he ran his mile leg, I just knew he was way behind me when I began the last leg for my school. I knew I was too far behind to win, but I hoped to hold him off. The announcer, however, kept me informed that my hope was probably not going to be. Romero finally roared by me, with the announcer's and the enthusiastic Fresno fans' help, in the last lap, and went on to either catch everyone else, or fall just short - I can't recall my team's finish place, let alone the team winner.

I never met him personally. I read about his intramural triple mile-2 mile-880 in T&FN. I heard the rumors about his prodigious training – 3 times a day at a time when I couldn't fit in two a day. It was said he had access to his high school locker room for a mid day training session. I didn't have a coach.

Still, he was in a different stratosphere than anyone else running high school two miles in Central and Northern California in 1967. A great high school racer.

Leave a comment:

• stillrunning
    replied
    Romero

I had posted the following, taken from various T&FN issues over on Let's Run on a parallel thread:
    http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read. ... ad=2852836
    Note one article says his GOAL was to run 8:42...

Some info from the '67 T&FN:
    Feb '67 - Article states Marty Liquori ran 9:06.2 in the Gerry Lindgren National Two Mile Championship race in the All Americas Invitational at the Cow Palace. Later in the article, notes that Romero ran the same time in that race; and that he later ran 4:13.6 in the Golden Gate Invitational in SF.
    March '67 - "Peter Romero of Reedley, CA (also the alma mater of former prep mile record holder Bob Seaman), made major news during an interclass meet... 3:40PM, ran two miles in a blistering 8:53.0 (first mile in 4:25); 4:15PM ran the 880 in 1:56.6; 5:20PM, ran a mile in 4:15.0, going through 880 in 2:05. Also during the same afternoon ran a leg for the senior class 440 relay team."
    "Romero, who trains up to 150 miles per week, also has an official 8:54.6 two mile, which came after the interclass meet. He's pointing for 8:42 for two miles.... A four-minute mile and sub 1:50 half are reasonable possibilities, judging from that single afternoon interclass meet."
    May '67 - HS List shows him with a 4:09.4 mile (4th) and 8:54.6, top two mile mark.
    July '67 - won GWI in 9:02.6 (Liquori won mile in 4:08.0).

Leave a comment:

• dj
    replied
    Originally posted by no one
    my 'impression' of the triple cited was that it was time trials - all the more impressive.
    I'm sure you're right. An intrasquad meet at Reedley probably didn't produce any competition for Romero, although it is possible the runs were handicapped in some way, or perhaps paced.

One can certainly imagine the 2M being run against the school's 2MR B team.

Leave a comment:

• no one
    replied
    my 'impression' of the triple cited was that it was time trials - all the more impressive. He really was somewhat of a boy wonder (I think 4:16 as a soph) - who ended up being more of a 880/mile guy. I also saw an article where he ran a 9:10.x indoor two mile barely losing to Liquori in an indoor 2. (same time), as a Sr.

Leave a comment:

• dj
    replied
    I found an LA Times story from March 8, 1967, which mentions a Romero triple win in Reedley HS's Interclass meet, earlier that week (no day or date mentioned).

Within less than three hours he ran 8:53.0, 1:58.6 and 4:15 (no tenths mentioned).

Obviously this was merely a practice meet. I wonder if somewhere along the line the 53 became 42 as a typo and never got corrected. Or possibly the writer has it wrong and the 8:42 is a college 2M.

Some more digging turns up the fact that Romero's HS PR 8:54.6 was actually 8:54.5.

Leave a comment:

• no one
    replied
    also - a lil huntin sez PRs of 4:04 and 1:50.0 while at utep and was pretty much the central cali's dominant distance runner his jr and sr yr.

pretty good range for hs

Leave a comment:

• no one
    replied
    ran on 1971 NCAA Indoor championship relay team in 4X880 for UTEP &:37.4

Leave a comment:

Working...
X