Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Most world records by a single athlete in one day?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most world records by a single athlete in one day?

Isi's two WR vaults got me thinking - which athlete has set the most world records in one day? Could be multiple jumps or throws in one competition, splits in a distance race, or relays. I figure some astute statistician might have this figure on hand. Thanks...

Re: Most world records by a single athlete in one day?

Originally posted by joeltetreault
    Isi's two WR vaults got me thinking - which athlete has set the most world records in one day? Could be multiple jumps or throws in one competition, splits in a distance race, or relays. I figure some astute statistician might have this figure on hand. Thanks...
    In part, would depend on how you define things. If it is to break the existing WR when the day/competition began, then Karl Hans Riehm must be considered. I recall that in the mid seventies he had six hammer throws in a series that all broke the "existing" WR.

Comment

Maybe the obvious answer is the right answer ? Some guy in Ann Arbor....

Comment

Yes, but only three of his throws were better than any before, including his own that day. Several other throwers have also done three WR's in one day, sequentially.

Comment

Now, this is indeed raising a good question: in ONE event, what's the most WR's set in one day by one person ? Pretty obviously it will be on the Field, not the Track. Is it the "three" that tandfman mentions, or is there a four ? ( I don't know. )

Comment

I don't know of a four. If I did, I'd have mentioned it.

Comment

Riehm is the only one to have a series where all 6 of his throws (or jumps) exceeded what was the WR coming in.

I don't believe there's a 4-WR day in one event. I saw Mac Wilkins do his 3, and then there's the something-rotten-in-Italy Andrei trio. Probably others, but none that jump instantly into my mind.

Comment

Parry O'Brien had one meet where he equalled the WR (his own) and then broke it twice.

Comment

In the horizontal jumps, Saneyev bested the previous TJ WR at least twice in the Mexico City OG finals, while Gentile and Prudencio also briefly held the WR during the same competition. Did Saneyev have other jumps that day that were better than Szmidt's official record (which Gentile had bettered the previous day) ?

Remarkable what great talent, adrenaline, and high altitude can produce. Has any other single event produced more WR performances?

Comment

Originally posted by jhc68
                    In the horizontal jumps, Saneyev bested the previous TJ WR at least twice in the Mexico City OG finals, while Gentile and Prudencio also briefly held the WR during the same competition. Did Saneyev have other jumps that day that were better than Szmidt's official record (which Gentile had bettered the previous day) ?

Remarkable what great talent, adrenaline, and high altitude can produce. Has any other single event produced more WR performances?
                    I checked this one out myself. At least as far as besting any prior efforts of his own, he had "only" the 2.

Comment

Originally posted by jhc68

Jumps in the final better than Schmidt's WR when the Games began. In addition to the new WRs by Gentile, Saneyev, Prudencio and then Saneyev again. Add jumps of 55'111/4" and 56'31/4" by Prudencio. Wind aided jumps of 56'2' by Walker and 56"03/4" by Dudkin. Qualification round on Oct. 16 with Gentile setting a new WR of 56"11/4" and final on Oct. 17. The wind readings have been questioned in other threads.

Comment

As far as I've researched, only Sanyev and Edwards can claim 2 WRs in the same event (jumps). Anyone else?

Comment

Nurmi's splits in his 30:06.2 featured four other WRs (4 miles, 5 miles, 6 miles and half hour), though I'm not sure how many of those were ratified as such.

Comment

Originally posted by rumbleyoungmanrumble
                            As far as I've researched, only Sanyev and Edwards can claim 2 WRs in the same event (jumps). Anyone else?
                            Yes, still with the TJ, Adhemar F da Silva in 1952. 4 jumps over the existing WR.

Comment

Originally posted by Per Andersen
                              Originally posted by rumbleyoungmanrumble
                              Yes, still with the TJ, Adhemar F da Silva in 1952. 4 jumps over the existing WR.
                              For sure, he had 2 WR's at the OG's, on his 2nd and 5th jumps. W/o looking it up, what are the other 2 in 1952 to which you refer ?

Comment

Working...
                              X