Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Liquori vs. Ryun in Cross Country?

Does anyone know if Marty Liquori and Jim Ryun ever competed in the same cross country race and who finished ahead? Perhaps the NCAA Championships some year? I'm curious because it seems that although both were great milers, Ryun was more of a speed guy and Liquori was more of a distance guy.

I doubt they ever met in cross country. The only time they might have would have been at the NCAA champs. Ryun's cross country eligibility period would have been 1965-1969, Liquori's would have been 1967-1971.

Liquori won the IC4A freshmen race in '67, but I don't think frosh were eligible in cross country that year, and only became eligible for track in the spring of '68.

Both were on the '68 Olympic team, so I'm fairly certain they redshirted. That leaves only '69, and I see no mention of Liquori running cross country that year (as per the New York Times, which would have been a good source as both the IC4A and NCAA meets were held at Van Cortlandt Park that year).

As far as I know for certain, Liquori competed in CC only in '67 as a frosh and '71 as a senior (as prep for his 1972 Olympic campaign).

Comment

Originally posted by dj
      I doubt they ever met in cross country. The only time they might have would have been at the NCAA champs. Ryun's cross country eligibility period would have been 1965-1969, Liquori's would have been 1967-1971.

Liquori won the IC4A freshmen race in '67, but I don't think frosh were eligible in cross country that year, and only became eligible for track in the spring of '68.

Both were on the '68 Olympic team, so I'm fairly certain they redshirted. That leaves only '69, and I see no mention of Liquori running cross country that year (as per the New York Times, which would have been a good source as both the IC4A and NCAA meets were held at Van Cortlandt Park that year).

As far as I know for certain, Liquori competed in CC only in '67 as a frosh and '71 as a senior (as prep for his 1972 Olympic campaign).
      It was long time ago, but didn't Ryun give up cross country after a year or so because it was thought to be hurting his back because of his scoliosis?

Pat Palmer

Comment

Liquori was a top ~15 guy in the '71 NCAA xc. Maybe it was '70?

Comment

9th in '70, 30th in '71

Comment

Did either one of them ever meet Bill Brasky? If they did, I would have to give the edge to Brasky. He stood about 8 feet 2 inches and went about 420. Not ideal for a cross country runner, but he knew the woods pretty good.
            "Who's Kidding Who?"

Comment

Originally posted by mrbowie
              Did either one of them ever meet Bill Brasky? If they did, I would have to give the edge to Brasky. He stood about 8 feet 2 inches and went about 420. Not ideal for a cross country runner, but he knew the woods pretty good.
              Brasky had a 17ft stride. I know, I measured it in a cc race in Minnesota in the dead of winter with 2 ft of snow on the ground.
              ... nothing really ever changes my friend, new lines for old, new lines for old.

Comment

What about Stacy vs. Jen, first in rodeo, then gymnastics. I would bet my bottom dollar that some track and field filbert out there could find some tables that would accurately compare each discipline to the billionth of a point.
                "Who's Kidding Who?"

Comment

Then, in Da Bearss mode, we could compare Usain with a hurricane, ala Ditka. Let's get it on, bro.
                  "Who's Kidding Who?"

Comment

Originally posted by dj

Both were on the '68 Olympic team, so I'm fairly certain they redshirted. .
                    I don't think that anyone ever redshirted in those days, except for medical reasons. There was a strong stigma against those who did not graduate with their class.

Comment

Originally posted by malmo
                      Originally posted by dj

I don't think that anyone ever redshirted in those days, except for medical reasons. There was a strong stigma against those who did not graduate with their class.
                      Ryun and Liquori both redshirted in the fall of 1968 for the sake of training for and running in the Olympics. Granted, it wasn't common, but it did happen for both of them that season.

Comment

Originally posted by dj
                        Originally posted by dj

Ryun and Liquori both redshirted in the fall of 1968 for the sake of training for and running in the Olympics. Granted, it wasn't common, but it did happen for both of them that season.
                        Especially since the Olympics were in late October that year.

Comment

Originally posted by dj
                          Originally posted by dj

So did Lindgren. And he didn't start in the fall after his HS year becuase of the '64 Games, so it was that he was class of '64 in high school but ran in the '69 NCAA, 6 versions later.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                            So did Lindgren.
                            Almost certainly one of the reasons that Mike Ryan had such an easy win in the '68 NCAA race (11.2 seconds in front of Steve Stageberg).

Comment

Four post-'60 runners won an NCAA CCC and a NCAA title at 1500/1M, that I can think of. O'Hara, Nyambui, Falcon, Kennedy,and I think Hacker. I never saw O'Hara(wr-i) but the others were obviously not what you'd consider top end "speed guys." (I think it's a safe assumption that Fernandez will make that group).

Wottle probably had the best NCAA CC record of "speed guy" with a #12,30. He's one of three(O'Shaughnessy,Murphy) that have run an OG's 800 semi and have been NCAA CC AA's.

Has any 800m major conference winner, ever won his Con. CC title?

Comment

Working...
                              X