Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• weighty ?

I WON 8 STRAIGHT US NATIONAL titles in a row but it took me 12 years. MALE. WHO?

Re: weighty ?

Hey 'ole satcheroo, you made it too easy when you inserted the name "weighty', 'cuz then it obviously had to be one of the throws, and would have to be some event that had some sort of interregnum. And voila... it's BOB BACKUS in the 56 lb. weight throw which took a vacation in the early 60's, came back in 64 and then faded into history. Backus won in 64 as well as 7 years straight, with some years with no contest in the early 60's.

Next question....

Comment

who hold s 56 WT RECORD for INDIA,ANDORRA,SOUTH POLE,CHILE ,CHINA; US, WORLD ? Do we have any WHALES OUT there who threw it?

Comment

CAN BE WIND AIDED ha ha

Comment

O.K. Satch. The South Pole is serious stuff for Norskies. So who was the first real athlete on the Pole? There is even a faint Hobart connection.

Comment

Per, was Roald Amundsen a trackster, or was one of his 3 companions ? ( Or maybe he was the grandfather or great-grandfather of Egil Danielsen, Vebjoern Rodal, or Trine Hattestad ? )

Comment

The first real athlete at the South Pole was Olav Bjaaland who was with Amundsen at the pole on Dec 14, 1911. Bjaaland was a champion skier who met Amundsen by chance in Chamonix and casually told Amundsen he would like to go with him on his next expedition.

As for the Scott party which arrived a month late, Captain Oates once played cricket and even had his obit in Wisden. (The Brits will know what that is.)

Comment

India- HULK SINGH , ANDORRA RICARDO MONTALBAN ,S. POLE - IM PENGUIN,jr Chile -h.o.t.PEPPERS ,CHINA - HO THRU DUNG , US / WORLD ? PROBABLY BOB BACKUS when he threw 44.85 in 1957 AAU.

Comment

garry ? dan ? ben ?

Comment

Bob? Carol? Ted? Alice?

Comment

John Boy? Jim Bob? Mary Ellen?

Comment

DOES any one know is BACKUS STILL withus ,what college did he attend other trivia for my book .

Comment

>DOES any one know is BACKUS STILL withus ,what college did he attend other
                          >trivia for my book .

Bob went to Tufts. He died on 6/30, 2003 I think. I googled this.... there was no date on it so I assume the 6/30 was last year ( 2003). Said he was age 72. I'll take a closer look and see if they gase his birthdate, then the year of death can be calculated.

Comment

checked it. He died in 1999.

Comment

>The first real athlete at the South Pole was Olav Bjaaland.

Yes, indeed Conor Dary, it was Bjaaland and he also lit the Olympic torch in Morgedal, Norway which is considered the birthplace of modern skiing. This was before the Winter Olympics in Oslo in 1952.
                              Amundsen was a very good skier but not in Bjaaland's class.
                              The faint Hobart connection I was alluding to was that Hobart, Tasmania was where Amundsen's ship "Fram" made its first land fall after returning from Antarctica. I thought SATCH would appreciate that since he is on such an Aussie kick right now.

Comment

Working...
                              X