Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What ever happened to Dennis Carr?

In October , 1961 I ran against Dennis Carr in a high school cross-country race...and I led all the way (silly 1.8 mile distance back then) until the final 200 meters when he easily kicked past me.

He then went on to run a 4:08.7 mile, graduate to USC, place second to Wade Bell in the 1967 NCAA 800m and then kind of disappeared...I lost track of him.

Anyone know what happened? With his speed (saw him run a 22.1 220 in H.S.) and nice flowing stride I thought Carr could have gone well under 4:00.0 in the mile.

I'm not positive, but I think Dennis Carr made an appearance at the California state high school championships a few years ago. I believe he was presenting some awards at that meet. There sure were some great high school runners from Whittier/La Habra in the early 1960's. Whittier is in Los Angeles County while La Habra is in Orange County.

Comment

Yes, especially La Habra under Coach Wilson...they won cross-country virtually every year in their league and Bruce Bess was the best runner to come out of all those good runners that ran for Coach Wilson.

Comment

Is Coach Wilson still alive? Did he coach at La Habra High?

Comment

Don't know if Coach Wilson is still alive..but, yes, he coached at La Habra High School and they won the league cross-country 7 out of the 10 years in the 1960's.

Comment

I did some research and found out Willie Wilson died of cancer several years ago. I understand when Bruce Bess graduated from La Habra High in 1962, Coach Wilson went with him to USC as the distance coach.

I still don't know where Dennis Carr is today. I'm working on it. Where did you go to high school when you ran cross country against him?

Comment

He was at Lowell H.S. and I ran at Tustin High School. Lowell H. S. no longer exists....the Fullerton School District closed it and their students then went to LaHabra or Fullerton.

Comment

Yikes, no more Lowell HS? Also the home of the great multi-eventer and high jumper, Greg Heet. Heet beat me on misses in the Tustin-Lowell dual meet when we both cleared 5' 11 3/4" as 10 graders. Then he thumped me badly for the next two years!

You ran in that meet didn't you lovestorun?
                Good to hear from you, LC!

Comment

Was Lowell High School in La Habra? I wonder what they did with the school after it closed.

Comment

When I googled Dennis Carr's Lowell H. S. the source said Whittier ...but I always thought it was in the La Habra/Fullerton area.

Comment

Yes, I think Whittier is correct. Whittier use to have Sierra High (before it closed). Remember Richard Joyce? He went to Sierra High in Whittier. Whittier High School had a 440 man who won the state championship. Do you remember him? I think the city of Whittier has a few other high schools: California High, La Serna High, and maybe more.

Comment

Originally posted by Double R Bar
                        Yes, I think Whittier is correct. Whittier use to have Sierra High (before it closed). Remember Richard Joyce? He went to Sierra High in Whittier. Whittier High School had a 440 man who won the state championship. Do you remember him? I think the city of Whittier has a few other high schools: California High, La Serna High, and maybe more.
                        Mike Newton was a 440 runner in about '69 or '70. I think there was another one, ___ Sims?

Comment

Yes, Mike Newton won the California State Meet in 1967 (440) and Bill Sims was second in 1969 (440). Both went to Whittier High. Of course you know which former First Lady taught at Whittier High.

Comment

Originally posted by Double R Bar
                            Yes, Mike Newton won the California State Meet in 1967 (440) and Bill Sims was second in 1969 (440). Both went to Whittier High. Of course you know which former First Lady taught at Whittier High.
                            One would guess Pat Nixon.

Comment

One would be correct. She was Pat Ryan at Whittier High and taught typing there.

Comment

Working...
                              X