Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I found some more Dennis Carr information. I believe Carr started his freshman year at La Habra High School. Lowell High opened in the 1961 - 1962 school year, which would have been Carr's junior year. Because of the Lowell High attendance area, Carr moved to Lowell High from La Habra High School. I have heard stories from runners who knew him in high school that he was a very friendly and down-to-earth type of guy. I still don't know where he is today. To be continued.

Comment

Well, you might try Zabasearch. There are at least three (3) Dennis Carrs listed in Southern California (assuming that he stayed there) with birth-years in the correct range.

Comment

Thanks. I'll see what I can find.

Comment

Originally posted by Double R Bar
          I found some more Dennis Carr information. I believe Carr started his freshman year at La Habra High School. Lowell High opened in the 1961 - 1962 school year, which would have been Carr's junior year. Because of the Lowell High attendance area, Carr moved to Lowell High from La Habra High School. I have heard stories from runners who knew him in high school that he was a very friendly and down-to-earth type of guy. I still don't know where he is today. To be continued.
          Thanks Double R Bar....I remember now that he did start at La Habra and then go to Lowell when it opened...so he and Bruce Bess were teammates for one year .

And, yes, I can add my input that Dennis is a nice guy...after he out kicked me in the cc race he complimented me on the hard pace I set and said he was "lucky" to beat me.

Comment

This thread inspired a look at my "souvenir" program from the first HS meet I ever attended: the 1961 Southern Section Finals at Chaffey (Ontario CA) HS. There were a few notable events that day. Immediately following one of them, a 20.2 National Record 220, I see that Dennis Carr (a La Habra sophomore) won the Class C (younger, smaller than "varsity" athletes) 1320 in 3:11.0, easily beating a kid who had set a section record of 3:10.5 the previous week. Among Carr's other victims was future Olympian Tracy Smith (Arcadia HS), fourth in 3:14.7. About 10 minutes later, junior Bruce Bess won the Class A (varsity) mile in 4:15.1, a section record.

The following year, Carr (now at Lowell) and Bess ran in separate cross country divisions in the championship meets. Bess won the section mile title again (Carr was third just behind yet another future Olympian, Bob Day), but at the State Meet, seeded into separate races, Carr was in total control.

Lowell HS was located in La Habra.

Comment

I checked on Lowell High School and found out it was located in Whittier. A health services college now owns the property. Haven't found Dennis Carr yet.

Comment

I've no idea where municipal or unincorporated area boundaries (or zip codes) have been drawn or redrawn over the years, but at least some of these folks seem to have thought that their school was in La Habra.

http://www.e-yearbook.com/Lowell_High_S ... n_Yearbook

http://www.alumni.net/North_America/Uni ... gh_School/

Lowell was in the Fullerton School District, a different county (Orange) than the Whittier School District (L.A.), and its students originated at (and were later absorbed by) La Habra schools. No doubt the land is today included in Whittier's postal codes (and perhaps boundaries), but in 1961-70?

Comment

You may be correct. I found the Whittier reference on Wikipedia. Of course they are not always right.

Comment

Yes, I saw the Whittier reference also, but always thought it (Lowell H.S.) was in La Habra...

BTW, if, by any chance, Dennis Carr or anyone who knows him today reads this, I'd like to hear what Dennis is doing these days.

Comment

I double-checked city lines and found out that Lowell High School was in Whittier's city limits. It was not a part of the Whittier school system even though it was (and still is) in Whittier.

Comment

Originally posted by Double R Bar
                        Is Coach Wilson still alive? Did he coach at La Habra High?
                        I'm sorry to write that IF my memory is correct, Coach Wilson died from Cancer when I was working at T&FN--probably in the Spring of 1967.
                        none

Comment

Re: What ever happened to Dennis Carr?

I am new to the T&F online blog -- but am old to following and participating in track and cross country in the Whittier and Southern Section CIF. Are any of you still discussing Richard Joyce and other great runners of that area and era? Richard Joyce and I went to elementary and high school together -- Sierra HS in Whittier. He was an excellent student -- majored in engineering at USC. His father was a high school teacher and his family always emphasized academics. Richard's older brother,Gordon, was a superb football player and hurdler at California HS in Whittier. It's hard to explain to those in other regions of the country how incredible track and field was in Southern California high schools and colleges of the 1960s. Hope this topic is still of interest, even though I am long gone from California.

Comment

We haven't been discussing Richard Joyce lately, however I do remember how good he was. You are right about track and field in Southern California during the 1960's. What year did you graduate from Sierra High School? Did you know a Lew Jones there? I believe he must have graduated around 1963. He was also a good half miler, but of course not as fast as Joyce. Where is Joyce today?

I still haven't found Dennis Carr, but I'm not giving up yet.

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleRBar
                              still haven't found Dennis Carr, but I'm not giving up yet.
                              I have nothing to add about DC just that the name brings back memories. I grew up and live in the eastern midwest. When I first became interested in T&F I'd go to the HS library and read some scholastic magizine that listed the top HS track times in the country.
                              At the top was Dennis Carr! As a young teenager I was in awe of his times. It is one of those names I will never forget that gave me a lifetime entrance into the world of track.
                              Yes, I also am interested in his where abouts.

Comment

Jthelin replying to good post from loveto run

Why, yes, I know Lewis Jones very well. He was Sierra HS Class of 1963 -- classmate and good friends with my brother. Lewis was, indeed, a solid cross country runner and half miler. He went to nearby Whittier College where, in his senior year, joined by twin brothers (the Gove brothers, who graduated from Whittier's California HS in 1967) won, I believe, the NAIA distance relay. Lewis personified the work ethic of studies and training that made this era and area special in the 1960s. By the way (and I am long departed from LA and Whittier) a few years back Lewis tells me that there was a wonderful reunion of about75 Sierra HS track student athletes to honor long time wonderful coach Robert Dugard at coach Dugard's memorial service.

Any comments on last Sunday's big New York Times article about San Diego's class of 1966 sub 4 minute miler Tim Danielson? I actually was put off by the story because it devoted so much story to one individual's personal problems -- losing sight of track and field, esp the incredible talent of CIF Southern Section and CIF San Diego in the mid and late 1960s.

Thanks for responding. Hope the conversation grows and continues

Comment

Working...
                                X