Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rats123
    replied
    Interesting thread. Enjoyed reading it. Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Cannon
    replied
    Originally posted by Karma Tenzing Wangchuk View Post
    I remember your race with Carr. Vividly. I finished way back, in third, for Lowell. You were formidable. Dennis ran under 10 seconds for the 100 and under 50 for the 440 as well; the only one on our team who could challenge him at the shorter distances was our high jumper and hurdler Greg Heet (who became a decathlete at one point in college).
    Karma...enjoyed your post...and thanks for the compliment.

Leave a comment:

• Karma Tenzing Wangchuk
    replied
    Rick Carr. Like Dennis, a fierce competitor.

Leave a comment:

• Karma Tenzing Wangchuk
    replied
    I remember your race with Carr. Vividly. I finished way back, in third, for Lowell. You were formidable. Dennis ran under 10 seconds for the 100 and under 50 for the 440 as well; the only one on our team who could challenge him at the shorter distances was our high jumper and hurdler Greg Heet (who became a decathlete at one point in college).

Leave a comment:

• GeorgeEsqueda
    replied
    My name is George Esqueda and I ran for Fullerton H S under coach Degroot.
    I too was past by Dennis Carr the last final 200 meters in my 3 races against him and Bruce Bess. This is my first post to this website. I now live in the San Francisco Bay Area and follow track and Cross Country. I was also ran under Coach Jim Bush for both track and Cross Country. my email is [email protected].

Leave a comment:

• lovetorun
    replied
    Re: What ever happened to Dennis Carr?

Originally posted by G.Ahearn
    Found Dennis Carr on Facebook.
    https://www.facebook.com/dennism.carr.14?ref=ts&fref=ts
    Not much info . . . says he retired in '09 and enjoys poker, bowling, and fishing. A photo shows him in USC singlet with a baton.
    I sent him a message informing him of this message board and asked if he would post.
    Thanks...hope he responds.

Leave a comment:

• no one
    replied

GH - point taken, Nothing quite like HS

ancillary pt of view re: Dennis Carr - when he was 'on' his kick was something to behold

plus he has had a younger brother who ran about 4:03

Leave a comment:

• G.Ahearn
    replied

Found Dennis Carr on Facebook.
    https://www.facebook.com/dennism.carr.14?ref=ts&fref=ts
    Not much info . . . says he retired in '09 and enjoys poker, bowling, and fishing. A photo shows him in USC singlet with a baton.
    I sent him a message informing him of this message board and asked if he would post.

Leave a comment:

• DoubleRBar
    replied

Bobby's sister made the U.S. Olympic team in 1964. She was 8th in the 80 meter hurdles. I believe Bobby, if he had concentrated on track and field, could have been a world class long jumper. He was close to it in high school. He and Cordner Nelson went to the same high school.

Leave a comment:

• jhc68
    replied

Yeah, CIF-SS had a ton of great athletes back in the '60's and I competed against a lot of them including several future Olympians. But the only one who really left me in awe was Bobby Bonds... he was a freaking 18 year old superman.

Leave a comment:

• gh
    replied

my point is that viewed from the point of living through it at the time, if you were in Nome and somebody ran 10.4 for 100y (first Alaskan ever to break 10.5!) in 1965, your memories of the era would be just as warm and fuzzy as somebody from SoCal in the same year.

Viewed from a statistical point of view decades later, nothing can touch SoCal, of course, but that wasn't my point.

Leave a comment:

• G.Ahearn
    replied

GH-- maybe true, but not every high school kid--then or now-- could go to a "local" track meet and watch and collect autographs from Jim Ryun and Ron Clarke. Or go to a summer all-commers meet and watch Bob Seagren run an 880.

Leave a comment:

• no one
    replied

right - most. side note - Compton had another 6' 11 3/4 guy and a 6' 6 3/4"or 8 same yr as Reynaldo Sr yr. ... if memory serves

lots of guys @ 1:51.x, 9:10y,

50s in CIF-SS wasn't too shabby either

of course (per Hill) you add that to the adolescent hormones /adrenaline and bibbidi bobbodi boo ... magic

Leave a comment:

• dj
    replied

Originally posted by no one
    p.s. - all of those marks were up to '67
    Most of those marks were through '67.

Rey Brown's 7-3 was at the Oly Trials in mid-September '68.

Leave a comment:

• no one
    replied

p.s. - all of those marks were up to '67

Leave a comment:

Working...
X