X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Daniel Foster
    replied
    Re: Best High School Facilities

In the mid-70s Laguna Beach High School - either through fundraisers or donations - put down all weather surfices in the high jump and pole vault areas and in the jump lanes. I am not saying this was unique - though it was costly. All of the local schools loved to compete on these surfaces. Recently, when visiting the States and Laguna, I noticed the school track had an entire all-weather track. Do many schools now have these surfaces? Here in Australia, many high schools still run on grass surfaces.

Leave a comment:

• Double R Bar
    replied
    Yes, it's almost the perfect place for the Oregon State Meet. Hard to beat Hayward Field.

Leave a comment:

• Brian
    replied
    Re: Best High School Facilities

Originally posted by Double R Bar
    I live in California and have seen a lot of high school track and field facilities. I realize this topic could go under "Current Events", but I decided to put it here because I want to know past and present. What is the best high school track and field facility you have ever seen?

Not a HS facility and I know I'm slightly off topic here, but what a kick the Oregon kids have with the state meet at Hayward Field every year.

Leave a comment:

• BillVol
    replied
    Here's another pic of the Marietta track. I thought it was nine lanes but looking at this picture, I think it's actually eight.

BTW, despite the gridion in this picture on the track field (which must be there for practice or for the band), MHS does not play football games here. They play at Northcutt Stadium next to their old high school building, which is tucked inside the heart of Marietta. Along with their new track, I think their football facility is the best I've ever seen.

http://www.bluedevil-football.com/northcutt_stadium.asp

Leave a comment:

• BillVol
    replied

This is the only pic I can find of the Marietta track. I don't think it had anything to do with the Olympics. MHS built a new school and they went all out with all of their facilities. They are the only high school in Cobb County located in the city limits of Marietta, a very proud little community, and the only high school administered by Marietta City Schools. The other high schools in Cobb County are administered by Cobb County Schools. So they spared little expense with this place.

Leave a comment:

• polevaultpower
    replied
    Originally posted by Double R Bar
    I don't know that I've ever heard of a high school with a water pit for the steeplechase. I've seen colleges that don't have that.
    Chief Sealth HS in Seattle has one. Of course it only gets used for JOs and the like. West Seattle Stadium has one too, though it's technically owned by the city parks department, not the high schools.

Leave a comment:

• dj
    replied
    Originally posted by BillVol
    Marietta High School in metro Atlanta has the nicest high school track I've ever seen. Nine lanes, Mondo, steeple pit, curb, drainage, nice stands and lighting. Nice field event areas with first-class PV and HJ pits. I don't think it is even five years old.
    Is it possible this is a remnant of the '96 OG and was built as a practice facility? I know there were several such tracks built in Atlanta for this purpose.

Leave a comment:

• Double R Bar
    replied
    I don't know that I've ever heard of a high school with a water pit for the steeplechase. I've seen colleges that don't have that.

Leave a comment:

• BillVol
    replied
    Marietta High School in metro Atlanta has the nicest high school track I've ever seen. Nine lanes, Mondo, steeple pit, curb, drainage, nice stands and lighting. Nice field event areas with first-class PV and HJ pits. I don't think it is even five years old.

Leave a comment:

• dukehjsteve
    replied
    Originally posted by MJR
    Originally posted by dukehjsteve
    Originally posted by MJR
    St Anthony's HS in Huntington, NY added a mondo track outdoors 2 yrs ago. This coming year, their 200 mondo indoor facility will open. Its a multi-sport complex to serve much of the PE dept too, so there are lots of locker rooms and class rooms as well. I think they're the only HS in NY w/ their own indoor facility. Should make it easier to remain the SI top HS program in NYS.
    Interesting info MJR, because although I have lived in Indiana for almost 40 years , I grew up in Huntington and went to Huntington HS. But are you sure St. Anthony's is in Huntington ? I thought it was in Smithtown. But maybe I'm mixed up. And if it is in Huntington, where exactly is it ?
    They moved the campus from the old Smithtown location in the mid 80s so they could go co-ed and have more space. They're on Wolf Hill Rd, just off the Northern St Parkway now. That old campus was torn down after rotting for about 15 years and sold to a developer who made it into some high priced condos or something of the sort. The new location was originally Holy Family HS. You can see the new place here: http://www.stanthonyshs.org/

Thanks mjr. So I was right, but you are right too ! What a deal that is !

Well familiar with Wolf Hill Road... my mother taught first grade at a public school on Wolf Hill Rd. for many years... Birchwood School. I just google mapped it, and it looks like it is right down the street from St. Anthony's.

Leave a comment:

• MJR
    replied
    300 or 400 hurdles must also suck w/ 3 turns to navigate.

Leave a comment:

• EPelle
    replied
    Unsure about the legality of the track (assume it has been properly measured). Grade-10 kid my first year of high school set our school record in 400m (48,4); and a grade-11 guy ran sr's in the 800m (1.55,2) and 1.600m (4.23,8) on same day on that track (could be due to our having had (and still have) a dirt track).

Leave a comment:

• dj
    replied
    Originally posted by EPelle
    I'd hate to be a left-handed power alley hitter in this park!

Leave a comment:

• jhc68
    replied
    A triangular track !!! That could only happen at a parochial school, but what fun it must be!!! Gotta be hell figuring out the staggers, though...

As for Carpinteria, it is also the home of the Russell Cup, the second oldest annual track meet in California behind only the Cal-Stanford dual meet.

Leave a comment:

• EPelle
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X