Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Most precise measurement ever!

From the 1905 Academic Athletic League Spring Meet (Bay Area forerunner to the California State Meet) at http://www.dyestatcal.com/ATHLETICS/TRACK/aal.htm

" HJ - Channing Hall (Oakland) 6-2 34-100ths"

Re: Most precise measurement ever!

Originally posted by jhc68
    " HJ - Channing Hall (Oakland) 6-2 34-100ths"
    It's merely a conversion from 4 cubits and .26 span!

Comment

very strange

it looks like they were measuring to 1/3", but inexplicably rounded up to 34/100" instead of just keeping it at 1/3" - the human eye can't actually see gradations of 1/100" on a ruler or measuring tape & you cant actually mark it on a ruler with early 20th century technology ( you have to use some sort of electron microscope aided tech to do it & then it has to be imprinted with a laser - discovery science channel :P )

Comment

Almost certainly this was measured with a surveyor's rod, which breaks feet into hundredths. A 6.195 feet measurement would equal 6 feet, 2.34 inches.

This is similar to the Norman Dole pole vault world record set in 1904 in Berkeley. Dole's mark was most commonly listed as 12 feet, 1 32/100 inches, but on a surveyor's rod that would be 12.11 feet.

Comment

Thanks, dj... I posted this just for amusement's sake but since you know what you are talking about I actually learned something!

Another great measurement was one I read many years ago. Describing an 800 meter race in Europe (which must have been translated into English by a news service hack somewhere along the line) my local paper reported that the winner was 6' 6 3/4" ahead of the runner-up! Me being a high jumper I immediately recognized the conversion of 2 meters, but I wondered what other readers must have thought about that phrase.

Comment

Thanks, dj... I posted this just for amusement's sake but since you know what you are talking about I actually learned something!

Another great measurement was one I read many years ago. Describing an 800 meter race in Europe (which must have been translated into English by a news service hack somewhere along the line) my local paper reported that the winner was 6' 6 3/4" ahead of the runner-up! Me being a high jumper I immediately recognized the conversion of 2 meters, but I wondered what other readers must have thought about that phrase.
            FABULOUS! Makes one wonder if it was a person or computer that dropped that in.

Comment

Also, overlooked by all of us so far is how impressive the jump was if the measurement was anywhere close to correct: six-two and 1/3 (1.89m) by a high school kid in 1905... Good Lord, that would win most HS dual meets 104 years later! And I assume he was using an eastern cut-off or some other scissors variation technique.

Any track historians ever heard of this kid - Channing Hall - in any competitions past high school? What was the WR at that time? St.Louis OG's the year before was won at 5-eleven and 7/8. (1.80m). Is there a source for WR's , AR's or HSR's (such as they were) for that era?

Comment

What was the WR at that time? St.Louis OG's the year before was won at 5-eleven and 7/8. (1.80m). Is there a source for WR's , AR's or HSR's (such as they were) for that era?
                A source? THE source is the IAAF's WR Progression book. The record then was 1.97 (6-5 5/8) by the USA's Michael Sweeney, set in 1895 (not to be broken till 1912), so 1.94 is being to look a little 'odd' to say the least.

edit - oh, he's legit1 I just found several google hits that feature him like this:

http://books.google.com/books?id=UbMRAA ... &ct=result

Comment

As far as I can tell (courtesy Jack Shepard's research), Hall was #2 on the high school ATL. He trailed only John Spraker of Berkley School in New York City, who jumped 6-2 1/2 in 1899 (Princeton Interscholastics, May 6).

Hall finished 2nd in the national AAU in 1905 (6-1, Portland, Ore., Aug. 5), and in 1906 jumped 6-3, what I show as his PR. I don't find show him in my records beyond that, but I could probably find more with some digging.

amended to show 1905!

Comment

Originally posted by dj
                    Hall finished 2nd in the national AAU in 2005
                    Now THERE'S longevity!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
                      A source? THE source is the IAAF's WR Progression book. The record then was 1.97 (6-5 5/8) by the USA's Michael Sweeney, set in 1895 (not to be broken till 1912), so 1.94 is being to look a little 'odd' to say the least.
                      Where does 1.94 come into the discussion?

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
                        Originally posted by dj
                        Hall finished 2nd in the national AAU in 2005
                        Now THERE'S longevity!!!
                        Oops! Usually I make the mistake in the other direction.

Comment

Originally posted by dj
                          Where does 1.94 come into the discussion?
                          That's my question too.
                          I suppose in 1906 it's unlikely that Channing Hall used the simple scissors technique since both Byrd Page in the late 1880's and Sweeney (Eastern Cut-off) in the mid 1890's both had used techniques that were superior to the Scissors.

Comment

I always liked the old technique labels: Eastern Cut-Off, Western Roll. They sound so elegant compared to Straddle and Flop!

Comment

I always liked the old technique labels: Eastern Cut-Off, Western Roll. They sound so elegant compared to Straddle and Flop!
                              Yeah, but the newer ones sound kinkier! :wink:

Comment

Working...
                              X