Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R.I.P.-Steve Lurie

Steve Lurie, a former sportswriter, publicist, and longtime coach at the college and high school level, passed away earlier this month. Steve, a native of Long Island, spent most of his life in New Jersey, but had been living in Tucson, Arizona, in recent years. Among the many high school runners he helped along the way was Kenny Cormier, the 2004 Foot Locker X-Country Champion.

The following links provide more details on Steve's career and the Dyestat thread gives a good indication of the impact Steve had on so many lives. He will be missed.

http://www.talk.dyestat.com/showthread.php?t=99579

Bergen Record Obituary
    http://www.northjersey.com/obituaries/

Steve was also co-founder of the popular Five-Star running camp

http://www.5starxc.com/s.html

His friends remember him:

Steve was such a great guy, on all levels of the sport....Hadn't seen him much in recent years but knew he was keeping really busy in the sport in Arizona...

Some of my fond memories of Steve involved his all-out recruiting efforts for summer club teams and their duels with the Shore AC at the NJ AAU Championships, National AAU Relays, our annual club vs his club dual meet, etc etc...Great fun, great times......

One time he recruited the whole Richmond 4x800 team (featuring pink-socked Julian Spooner) for the National AAU Relays at Rutgers...

And a Steve-organized team was the last to beat Shore AC in the NJ AAU Outdoor Championships, which became the NJ TAC Champs which became the USATFNJ Champs....I believe the year was 1973....Shore AC has won every NJ team championship since, under each of the succeeding organizational designations...

Steve was also a terrific track writer and, I believe, at one time an officer (president perhaps???) of the national tennis writers assn...

Steve Lurie....definitely one of a kind....

They don't make 'em like Steve anymore....and likely never will....

RIP, good friend,

Elliott Denman...

We had the good fortune of having Steve as our Southwest regional editor one year, certainly the most underpaid person ever on DyeStat. Dave Devine, Donna and I also had the good fortune of seeing him last at the Nike Team Nationals regional meet in Tempe a couple of years ago. We had a delightful dinner and drinks by the fireplace at Claim Jumper with plenty of stories and beer.

John Dye

(Steve) and I go back to my high school days forty years ago when he got my name wrong the first time it appeared in the newspaper. It wasn't his fault but I used to kid him about it years later. He was a good man.

Ed Koch, USATF Treasurer

Wow. Steve was one of the great ones.

Marc Bloom

I liked steve a lot...worked at his camp

John Cook

... always the good ones, but they always leave us with great life lessons so we can carry on

Derek Alvez

Knew more about track & field at all levels of the sport then just about anyone I ever met. R.I. P. , Steve.

Comment

Working...
    X