Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sheffield in 2007 was absolutely vile. The start-lists were easily better than Crystal Palace but it was an absolute wash-out because of the weather and I was not happy considering I had travelled on a train for about six hours on the same day and everything in my pockets and my bag was wet.

In fact 2007 was a really shitty weather year. London Marathon was boiling hot, Glasgow and Sheffield were held in torrential rain and Manchester was really cold. I guess CP was the only meet with good weather!
    http://twitter.com/Trackside2011

Comment

I had to run the steeplechase at UW-Oshkosh when it was snowing and 30 degrees. Needless to say, the water jump was quite cold. They had do break out the ice before the race and refill the jump so there wasn't any iceburgs in there.
      http://www.tips4running.com

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman
        The first time I was ever in Seattle was in 1971 for the NCAA's. This was before it was easy to check 5-day weather forecasts on the Internet.
        I don't remember it being that cold. But then the '71 track season seemed like I attended a lot of cold meets. Of course who could forget the heat in Indpls. '88.

Comment

It wasn't THAT cold. We've all been at meets in colder weather. But it was a lot colder than I expected and I just didn't pack the right clothing.

Comment

Originally posted by runforlife
            [Of course who could forget the heat in Indpls. '88.
            I guess different folks have different internal thermostats. I don't remember Indy '88 as being especially hot but maybe I was acclimated to 100 plus days in Texas and Oklahoma.

Comment

Yes, Indy was very hot in 1988. I remember I had a cold and didn't feel great to start with, but coming from California, I thought the heat was almost unbearable. I think I remember New Orleans being even warmer in 1992. Weather-wise, Eugene is heaven for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Double R Bar
                Yes, Indy was very hot in 1988. I remember I had a cold and didn't feel great to start with, but coming from California, I thought the heat was almost unbearable. I think I remember New Orleans being even warmer in 1992.
                I think not. The first few days of Indy were hotter than anything we had during the New Orleans trials.

Comment

Yes, Indy was very hot in 1988. I remember I had a cold and didn't feel great to start with, but coming from California, I thought the heat was almost unbearable. I think I remember New Orleans being even warmer in 1992.
                  I think not. The first few days of Indy were hotter than anything we had during the New Orleans trials.
                  I remember one day at Indy in '88 that I had shorts on, and it was too hot to sit on the aluminum bleachers. One of the early days.

Comment

1991 Nationals in NYC a multiday heat wave with zero cloudcover and white concrete heatsink stadium seats made for an uncomfortable meet week.
                    No potable water and catsized restroom rats only added to the dance in the aisle party-hearty feeling at Downing that week.
                    Tom Hyland:
                    "squack and wineturtle get it"

Comment

Several of the meets mentioned here (Indy and New Orleans Trials) were definitely warmer than New York '91. I wouldn't argue about your opinion of the stadium, though. Mercifully, they've torn that down and replaced it with Icahn, which is an infinitely more comfortable place to watch a meet.

Comment

Gale force winds which blew the high jump mats etc away

Of course it was a headwind for the 100m and 200m, very painful that last 100 of the 2

Comment

First day of the decathlon in Helsinki 1983--constant cold rain. Of course that's true of any decathlon I try to watch in person.

Comment

Indy was definitely a lot worse than NO. Some of those 100+ were awful...

Comment

In February I competed at the IAAF permit meet in Auckland. There was extremely heavy rain throughout the entire meet, and the whole high jump fan was under 1cm of water. Its a memorable comp for me considering that I ended up going to a jumpoff in which we contested 10 heights! I was absolutely soaked and chilled to the bone by the end of it.

Comment

Footlocker Regionals in the early '90s in Charlotte. I had kids running in several races over about 3 hours. It was very rainy and it was cold. How bad? At one point I spent 10 minutes between races, in a Jiffy John. And I had no need to pee. Think about what that says about the weather.

Comment

Working...
                                X