Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 20.13..forever?

Will anyone ever break Roy Martin's HS 200m record? Will anyone break MJ's "American Record" 19.32? I 'm starting to have doubts.

Re: 20.13..forever?

Originally posted by Texas
    Will anyone ever break Roy Martin's HS 200m record? Will anyone break MJ's "American Record" 19.32? I 'm starting to have doubts.
    Yes, and yes.
    As more HSers approach 10.10, it will become more apparent that 20.13 is not sacrosanct.
    If MJ and Bolt can do it, so can others.

Comment

J-Mee Samuels HS times in the 100m prove that we still have some up and coming, home grown talent.
      If you're ever walking down the beach and you see a girl dressed in a bikini made out of seashells, and you pick her up and hold her to your ear, you can hear her scream.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
        As more HSers approach 10.10, it will become more apparent that 20.13 is not sacrosanct
        great point !

kids are getting bigger, stronger, longer stride, etc

however, 100m & 200m are not allowed to grow with them ( to 100.25m one year, 100.5m the next, 200.5m one year, 201m the next, etc ) - they've got to stay fixed at 100m & 200m forever

the increase size of the kids will get us there 1 day

Comment

As Zager and Evans would say,

" In the year 2525, (if Man is still alive)"

do you really think we'll have WR's of 9.69 and 19.30 ?!

Comment

Originally posted by dukehjsteve
            As Zager and Evans would say,

" In the year 2525, (if Man is still alive)"

do you really think we'll have WR's of 9.69 and 19.30 ?!
            If Usain Bolt carries his 08 form into this season I doubt we'll have WRs of 9.69 and 19.30 by year end!

Comment

Originally posted by Rog
              If Usain Bolt carries his 08 form into this season I doubt we'll have WRs of 9.69 and 19.30 by year end!
              I think there are many more historical precedents to believe that those will be Bolt's lifetime PRs, despite his age and further potential, so let's hope he is the exception.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
                Yes, and yes.
                As more HSers approach 10.10, it will become more apparent that 20.13 is not sacrosanct.
                If MJ and Bolt can do it, so can others.
                Actually we haven't seen anything to give the impression that Martin's 20.13 is going down anytime soon. I also don't see anyone really close to breaking 19.32 as far as Americans go. Talking normal humanoids and not some 6-5 alien.

I don't look at 100m guys as much as I look at 400m guys who come down to the 200m as having the best shot at breaking 200m records. Martin had that 400 ability as we saw in those great 4x4 legs he ran. Obviously MJ could scoot a 400m. When Bolt ran his 19.30 what did we hear..."will he run the 4x4?" Now it's..."can he break the 400m record also?"

Comment

Actually we haven't seen anything to give the impression that Martin's 20.13 is going down anytime soon.
                  It may not happen anytime soon. But it will happen. The question was whether the record would last forever. Forever is a long time.

Comment

I don't look at 100m guys as much as I look at 400m guys who come down to the 200m as having the best shot at breaking 200m records
                    seeing as the ratio of 100/200 guys to 200/400 ones ( looking at any elite 200 lists ) must be something in the region of 3 or 4 to 1, i'd suggest convenional wisdom is right & look towards the 100 guys

in retrospect, dix was in shape to challenge the record after he ran 20.37WJRi
                    - that musta been at the very least 0.2s better outdoors ( & perhaps nearer 0.3s ) & checking his stats, i just found he came pretty close !

he ran 20.18 ( +1.0 ) at sacramento in june - i'd imagine if he'd carried on running 200s on the euro circuit that year that he wouda gotten it

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman
                      Actually we haven't seen anything to give the impression that Martin's 20.13 is going down anytime soon.
                      It may not happen anytime soon. But it will happen. The question was whether the record would last forever. Forever is a long time.
                      Come on bro Did you really think I thought...

Comment

The only "forever" HS record IMO is Carter's 81' + .

Comment

Originally posted by eldrick
                          I don't look at 100m guys as much as I look at 400m guys who come down to the 200m as having the best shot at breaking 200m records
                          seeing as the ratio of 100/200 guys to 200/400 ones ( looking at any elite 200 lists ) must be something in the region of 3 or 4 to 1, i'd suggest convenional wisdom is right & look towards the 100 guys

in retrospect, dix was in shape to challenge the record after he ran 20.37WJRi
                          - that musta been at the very least 0.2s better outdoors ( & perhaps nearer 0.3s ) & checking his stats, i just found he came pretty close !

he ran 20.18 ( +1.0 ) at sacramento in june - i'd imagine if he'd carried on running 200s on the euro circuit that year that he wouda gotten it
                          Did I not say...200m records?

Henry Carr
                          Tommie Smith
                          Pietro Mennea
                          MJ
                          Usain Bolt

....all those WR holders also had 400m ability. Bolt started off as a 400/200 guy, Smith and MJ were also 400 WR holders and Carr and Mennea ran on Olympic 4x4 teams. Yes I know all of them also had good 100m speed. None but Bolt were known as 100m men however (just recently)

Yes the average 100/200 guy is superior to a 400 guy coming down to the 200m. It's when we find a guy with both 100m speed ..and...400m ability, that we see 200m records fall.

Look at Cal's top HS 200m sprinter Bryshon Nellum. He's a 400/200 guy. Who holds the European 200m record?

Comment

you are not going to start that ridiculous 400 nonsense again ?!

go look up top 10 or even 20 all-time 200 guys & then list their respective 100 & 400 pbs & work from there

alternatively, go ask any elite sprint coach out there to produce an elite 200m guy & they have choice of 2 to work on :

- a 10.00s guy

or

- a 45.00s guy

who are they going to choose ?

Comment

Originally posted by eldrick
                              you are not going to start that ridiculous 400 nonsense again ?!

go look up top 10 or even 20 all-time 200 guys & then list their respective 100 & 400 pbs & work from there

alternatively, go ask any elite sprint coach out there to produce an elite 200m guy & they have choice of 2 to work on :

- a 10.00s guy

or

- a 45.00s guy

who are they going to choose ?
                              "Still"...not getting it are you? Tommie Smith beat Jimmy Hines like a drum in the 200m....why? Henry Carr was superior to Bob Hayes in the 200m...why? MJ was superior to Frankie Fredericks, Mo Greene and Ato Boldon in the 200m....why? The top 200m high schooler of all time was a 4x4 monster. Cali's top HS 200m man was a 400 meter state champion. John Regis was a superior 200m man to Linford Christie...why?

How did Kenteris win his Olympic/World 200m titles? He ran people down. He started off s a 400m man.

It's like this...

Those sprinters with good 100m speed..AND...400m ability do have an edge over faster 100m sprinter ...WITHOUT...400m ability in a 200m.

"Speed endurance"..is the 200m. Now who has more of that a guy who runs the 100/200 or a guy who runs the 200/400?

Remember when Obea Moore and Calvin Harrison decided to contest the Cali 200m at state? How did they beat all those faster sprinters? How about when 400m ace Adolph Plummer ran the 200m at the nationals? All he did was beat Jimmy Hines.....how?

Comment

Working...
                              X