• Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by eldrick
    Originally posted by Texas
    How many years has he ran the 100m? Oh yeah...1
    irrelevant

it matters not a jot if he has run it for 1y or 10y

the fact is that he is the 9.69wr holder & og champ

to claim he is not a 100m guy is the most ridiculous statement ever posted here
    He's not a 100m guy. He'll be the first to tell you that. He's a sprinter who runs the 100/200 and has and will run the 400m. I didn't make all that clear above?

Comment

• Originally posted by Texas
      He's not a 100m guy
      again repeating the same ridiculous nonsense

He'll be the first to tell you that
      find a link to him stating that after peking

Comment

He's not a 100m guy
        again repeating the same ridiculous nonsense

He'll be the first to tell you that
        find a link to him stating that after peking
        A guy who started off running the 200/400 and has had as more success as a 200m sprinter sees himself as a 100m man.....right! Only you woud think that.

Comment

• please explain to all of us the ridiculous statement how the 9.69wr holder is not a 100 guy ???

Comment

please explain to all of us the ridiculous statement how the 9.69wr holder is not a 100 guy ???
            I thought I already did, about a dozen times. You actually do lack comprehension skills don't you? Alright.....pay attention..

Speed comes in many guises, we have the Mel Penders/Houston McTears who are more 60/100m. We have guys like Bob Hayes who could set records in the 60/100/200. A guy like Derrick Atkins is pretty much a 100m guy only. Then we have the "long sprinters'" those guys who are more 200/400 with some 100m success. Herb McKenley, Tommie Smith, MJ, Xavier Carter and Usain Bolt would be in that group.

Ok, getting it now? Usain Bolt is not a 100m guy. He is a multi talented sprinter who runs the 100.

Comment

• Hey, Texas, eldrick - how 'bout those Red Sox, eh?

Comment

• Originally posted by bambam
                Hey, Texas, eldrick - how 'bout those Red Sox, eh?
                Never really got into baseball. I did however have some old baseball cards one of my grandpa's gave me. When I was around 15/16 or so and trying to prove how grown up I was, I dumped all my comic books and football/baseball cards. Who needs Babe Ruth, Walter Johnson and Lou Gehrig anyway? Yep I still cry at night over it. I also had the first Fantastic Four comic which is worth some serious $$$$$$$$$$$$$...today. :cry:

Comment

• Originally posted by bambam
                  Hey, Texas, eldrick - how 'bout those Red Sox, eh?
                  :lol:

Texas and eldrick...sitting in a tree...
                  The fool has said...there is no God. Psa 14

Comment

Ok, getting it now? Usain Bolt is not a 100m guy. He is a multi talented sprinter who runs the 100.
                    Well he most certainly is not at this time a 400 guy. His 200 is to me far more impressive than his 100, given the gap between him and the rest of history [with the exception of Johnson].........with a favorable wind in Beijing, not -0.9, he'd have run 19.20. That's enough for now to say he's a 200 guy, meaning it is his better event.

Comment

• Did you have to encourage them, skiboo?

Comment

• It isn't Gaza. :lol:

Comment

• Originally posted by skiboo

Well he most certainly is not at this time a 400 guy. His 200 is to me far more impressive than his 100, given the gap between him and the rest of history [with the exception of Johnson].........with a favorable wind in Beijing, not -0.9, he'd have run 19.20. That's enough for now to say he's a 200 guy, meaning it is his better event.
                          exactly

his 400 as of present is derisory

to have serious clout & get into category of also "world class at 400", you have to be running <45

his categories possibly :

a) 100m
                          b) 200m
                          c) 100/200
                          d) 200/400
                          e) 100/200/400

now

it isn't a) because of 19.30

it isn't b) because of 9.69

it isn't d) because he has a derisory 400 time - mj, lashawn & tommie are only guys who have satisfied criteria of <20 / < 45, with honorable mention to everett & tyree

it isn't e) because of derisory 400 time - on clockings, only x-man has possible right to this club with 10.00/19.63/44.53, but needs 0.01s better over 100m

that leaves him only with c)

he is not "multitalented" - a nebulous, meaningless term ( is he world class at 110h ??? ) - the clock says he is a plain, ole simple 100/200 guy ( just better than any other ) - like tyson, dix & countless others

Comment

• Originally posted by skiboo

Bolt started his sprint career as a 200/400 guy. He wasn't a 100m sprinter until 2008. My song and dance is that he trained as a long sprinter early on, meaning he built his speed endurance up to a level a 100/200 guy never obtains. Think what he would do to Tyson Gay in a 400m right now. Think how badly he'd beat Mo Greene or Donovan Bailey in a 400m. Next season he plans on running the 400m, now how many 100m record holders have ever tried that? He could have ran on Jamaica's 4x4 team, what 100m sprinter has ever done that?

If he does run the 400m in 2010, he will run a sub 44.50. Now how many sub10.00 sprinters have accomplished that?

paste..

Performing for Jamaica in his first Caribbean regional event, Bolt clocked a personal best of 48.28 s in the 400 metres in the 2001 CARIFTA Games, winning a silver medal. The 200 m also yielded a silver as Bolt finished in 21.81 s.

He made his first appearance on the world stage at the 2001 IAAF World Youth Championships in Debrecen, Hungary. Running in the 200 m event, he failed to qualify for the finals, but he still set a new personal best of 21.73 s. Bolt still did not take athletics or himself too seriously, however, and he took his mischievousness to new heights by hiding in the back of a van when he was supposed to be preparing for the 200 m finals at the CARIFTA Trials. He was detained by the police for his practical joke, and there was an outcry from the local community, which blamed coach McNeil for the incident.[11] However, the controversy subsided, and both McNeil and Bolt went to the CARIFTA Games, where Bolt set championship records in the 200 m and 400 m with times of 21.12 s and 47.33 s, respectively. He continued to set records with 20.61 s and 47.12 s finishes at the Central American and Caribbean Junior Championships.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That's not a 100m man. Who thinks of Tommie Smith as a 100m man? I'm betting nobody. He did run a 9.3/10.1 and was world ranked in all three sprints in 1966 a feat never accomplished before or since. Tommie was a...multi talented...sprinter, as is Usain Bolt.

Fastest Americans in 1966

100 y

George Anderson USA 9.3
                            Charles Greene USA 9.3
                            Tommie Smith USA 9.3
                            Jim Hines USA 9.3

100 m

Tommie Smith USA 10.1
                            Bill Gaines USA 10.2
                            Charles Greene USA 10.2

200 m

Tommie Smith USA 19.9 *
                            Richard Stebbins USA 20.4 *
                            Bernie Rivers USA 20.4 *
                            Jim Hines USA 20.4 *

400 m

Theron Lewis USA 44.9 *
                            Lee Evans USA 45.2 *
                            Tommie Smith USA 45.3

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Came across this....

The amount of room for improvement Bolt has. (an enormous amount of room)

This is a guy who is 21 years old, and to be honest, doesn't really even know wtf he is doing yet, especially not in the 100m (which he is the world record holder in, lol).

Not only is he not at all at his physical prime yet, but he is nowhere near being as technically perfected as some of the other top runners.

This is a guy who is going to get physically faster as he approaches his physical prime, which is still a good 4 years away, and is going to get a LOT better in the technique aspect of running, as he gets coached by top trainers after all the eyebrows he'll raise in the olympics this year.

I REALLY do not see the 19.32 as a problem at all. Physically speaking, his best event should be the 200m, and the 400m. The 100m should actually be hist 3rd best event, he should be considerably better at both the 200m and the 400m, as far as how solid his world records in the 200 and 400 will be compared to his world record in the 100 (which I think people will break fairly easily both throughout his career, as well as afterwards, unlike in the 200 and 400, where I think it will be an obscenely long amount of time before they break his 200/400 records once he sets them).

And yes, I definitely understand that the 19.32 200m world record is a MUCH much much stronger world record than the 9.72 100m world record. The 19.32 is like a 9.5x in the 100, not a 9.7x. This is fairly obv given that 9.8 is broken all the time, left and right, whereas nobody has ever broken 19.6 in the 200, ever, other than Michael's 19.32.

Comment

Bolt started his sprint career as a 200/400 guy. He wasn't a 100m sprinter until 2008. My song and dance is that he trained as a long sprinter early on, meaning he built his speed endurance up to a level a 100/200 guy never obtains. Think what he would do to Tyson Gay in a 400m right now
                              unfortunately for this "theory", tyson was a far quicker 200 guy than bolt until '08

the "long sprinting" of bolt got him precisely 1 silver medal in 3y since athens

as for running a 400m, i doubt tyson woud give a damn

He could have ran on Jamaica's 4x4 team, what 100m sprinter has ever done that?
                              they must have an extremely poor squad if a 45+ guy can get on it

it'd never happen if he was an american & trying to get on their squad

If he does run the 400m in 2010, he will run a sub 44.50.
                              pure speculation

he possibly will, but this is fantasy for now

This is a guy who is 21 years old, and to be honest, doesn't really even know wtf he is doing yet, especially not in the 100m (which he is the world record holder in, lol)
                              he certainly knows enough about it to win gold & wr

Not only is he not at all at his physical prime yet, but he is nowhere near being as technically perfected as some of the other top runners.
                              apart from a fractional improvement in his start, there is nothing technically to improve

The 100m should actually be hist 3rd best event, he should be considerably better at both the 200m and the 400m, as far as how solid his world records in the 200 and 400 will be compared to his world record in the 100 (which I think people will break fairly easily both throughout his career...)
                              it shoud be, but he's now proven it is arguably his best event

no situation remains static - his hasn't

& if bolt gets it together, he will run <9.6 & no one is beating that for years

as far as how solid his world records in the 200 and 400 will be compared to his world record in the 100
                              eh ???

when did bolt set the 400wr ???

And yes, I definitely understand that the 19.32 200m world record is a MUCH much much stronger world record than the 9.72 100m world record.
                              not by much

simply double a 100m time gives ~ 200m time

his 9.72 -> ~ 19.44, which is not far off 19.32

his 9.69 easing down, more like 9.65 -> ~ 19.30

his 100/200 times are similar quality

Comment

He could have ran on Jamaica's 4x4 team, what 100m sprinter has ever done that?
                                they must have an extremely poor squad if a 45+ guy can get on it

it'd never happen if he was an american & trying to get on their squad
                                Allen Johnson, anyone? And he wasn't even trying to get on the team.

Comment

Working...
                                X