Michael Carter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michael Carter

Atheletes are bigger and stronger now why 30 years later he still has the National High school record 81-3 ? The best throw this year was 72 not even close. I have watched his record throw on You tube and he doesnt even spin and throw he just does the basic step turn and throw. He also threw 75 and 77 so he wasnt the Bob Beaman of the shot. I just cant believe 30 years later and no one is even close .

Carter was good.

Comment

Originally posted by dukehjsteve
      Carter was good.
      Ya think?

Comment

Re: Michael Carter

Originally posted by puddys12
        He also threw 75 and 77 so he wasnt the Bob Beaman of the shot.
        But 77 is a long way off 81-3. How many other examples can you give of shot putters whose second best result of a season is 4 feet below their best?
        Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

But 77 is a long way off 81-3. How many other examples can you give of shot putters whose second best result of a season is 4 feet below their best?

It is a long way but 30 years later nobody is even throwing close to 77.

Comment

Originally posted by puddys12
            It is a long way but 30 years later nobody is even throwing close to 77.
            I'm not saying he wasn't good. Obviously he was very much so, but even so, 81 is looking like a fluke.

Comment

he used 12 pounds compared to 16 for seniors

a bit of basic physics estimates the same kinetic energy applied to a 16lb shot as it takes to throw 12lb, 81'3"

= ~ 81'3" * (12/16)^0.5 = 21.45m

which is not bad, but not 22m+

if anyone has the time, coud they do a list of all-time list of 19y/20y oles throwing the senior ( 16lb ) shot so we have a comparative idea ?

pavvka ?

Comment

looking at all-time list for juniors with 6kg shot

http://tinyurl.com/daxwzo

& looking up what they did with senior shot in same year as their best junior throw yields best throw by edis ( wjr holder with 6kg shot ) of

19.95m

( obviously some juniors may have not bothered with 6kg shot & threw the senior one instead, so there maybe a bigger throw - ?barnes ?ulf ?werner may have thrown a 20++ at aged 19y ? )

it does appear carter woud have ~ 1.5m of clear daylight between him & any other junior in history based on that basic conversion

that is awesome

Comment

The world junior record with the senior shot is 20.39 by Janus Robberts.

Comment

Originally posted by Powell
                    The world junior record with the senior shot is 20.39 by Janus Robberts.
                    How is that possible when Carter himself threw 67-9 (20.65)? Certainly he did not turn 20 in the year he graduated from HS!

Terry Albritton threw (21.05) 69-3/4, but that was indoors.

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
                      How is that possible when Carter himself threw 67-9 (20.65)?
                      It was 30 years ago, but I vaguely recall that that record may have been disallowed because he taped his fingers together.

http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/ ... /index.htm

When he throws, he likes to tape the index and ring fingers of his throwing hand for a better grip, a habit he got into after spraining his hand last year. But that kind of wrap isn't allowed in international competition.

Comment

Does anyone remember an article in (I believe) Track and Field News from about 30 years ago comparing 12 lb shot performance and 16 lb shot performance?

The article, as I remember it, concluded that, generally, the best guys with the 12 did not turn out to be the best guys with the 16, with some exceptions.

With all due respect to Eldrick's analyisis, could there be some other factor in play? Or was it just a statistical anomaly specific to the sample (throwers up until 1977 or so who had 12 lb and 16 lb marks)? Or am I remembering the article incorrectly?

Comment

You simply cannot call Carter's 81'3" a "fluke." It may be a fluke when a guy cans a full-court heave in basketball, or a guy scores a hole-in-one in golf, but putting a correctly weighted 12 pound ball an accurately measured 81'3" on a level surface is not a fluke. He just flat-out did it.

Comment

You simply cannot call Carter's 81'3" a "fluke." It may be a fluke when a guy cans a full-court heave in basketball, or a guy scores a hole-in-one in golf, but putting a correctly weighted 12 pound ball an accurately measured 81'3" on a level surface is not a fluke. He just flat-out did it.
                            I could not agree more. Even though the objective criteria are similar, there was, however, something flukey about Beamon's jump (even considering alt), which there was not the same feeling about MJ's 19.32. Flo-jo's 10.49, however, . . . :roll:

Comment

Originally posted by Marlow
                              I could not agree more. Even though the objective criteria are similar, there was, however, something flukey about Beamon's jump (even considering alt), which there was not the same feeling about MJ's 19.32. Flo-jo's 10.49, however, . . . :roll:
                              And the countless 10's of thousands of high school shot putters throwing a combination of millions of throws and Carter is the only fluker...or is that flukey? I pole vaulted 25 ft. once and that i agree was a fluke because my 2nd best is 9'6".
                              phsstt!

Comment

Working...
                              X