Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

good points

he did get injured initially in '88 aged 21y when he broke his fibula with 20.07 prior to that ( likely wouda got into 200 team, but not going to win gold with deloach 19.75, King 19.79 )

however, apart from stomach bug in '92 ( not an injury ), next time he got an injury was '94 - 6y later

'96 - injury at tail-end of 200

then injuries in '98, '99 ( broke 400wr after recovery ), '00 ( pulled up in 200 trials but dominated 400 )

apart from that inexplicable fibula break aged 21y & injury in '94 aged 27y, his next injury was aged 29y in atlanta & injury years '98 - '00 aged 31y - 33y when he was pretty ole & beat-up

from '88 - '96 ( 21y - 29y ) he only had 1 injury year in '94, which isn't bad for anyone !

Comment

According to Michael Johnson USATF biography page:

In 1994 he focused on trying to break 10 seconds in the 100. He finished 8th in the US championship, injured.

According to the book "Michael Johnson Sprinter Deluxe"by Bert Rosenthal (page 45):

[after winning the Atlanta Olympic 400] "The celebrating didn't last long. Johnson had to get focused on the 200. After winning his first two heats, Michael was hurting. He had a sore left Achilles tendon, an ailing tendon behind his left knee and a sacroiliac joint that needed constant adjustment."

Comment

Steve Williams probably could have been one of the all time greats "if" he'd wanted to have ran the 400m. John Smith once said that and I agree. He was tailor made for the event. I was there in Fresno the night he beat Quarrie and Washington in a WR tying 9.1. It looked strange. It looked like everyone "behind" him was running faster..ha! Cat never gave the impression he was moving as fast as he was. Yep...stride.

MJ didn't have a stride. He also didn't have a start. I doubt he would have done anything at all in the 60. While I can see a 9.95ish if he'd been able to get serious (injuries) about the 100m, I don't see him dealing with the big dawgs in the event. He wasn't going to ever make an impact as a 100m man. He would have ran his 10.02/10.05/9.98 stuff taking thirds or worst. He was a long sprinter, that's were he belonged because that's where he could excell, and he did.

Speed comes in many guises, some are short sprinters while others excell in the longer sprints. MJ was a long sprinter.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas
          ....he was. Yep...stride.

MJ didn't have a stride......
          MJ only looked like he didn't have a stride because his turnover was so great. The guy was 6'2". He was one powerful hedge hog. He was a shuffler, a skater not a gracile galloper like Smith, Lewis or Wariner. That type has tremendous power and speed through the midsection and hips. It would not have surprized me if an MJ focused purely on the 100m would have been consistently under 10flat.
          ... nothing really ever changes my friend, new lines for old, new lines for old.

Comment

Originally posted by EPelle
            87 posts between the two of you in one 24-hour period. Who did piss the furthest, and was the wind measurement verified?
            The wind has been verified as gale force in the negative direction, but neither can smell it.

Comment

Originally posted by paulthefan

MJ only looked like he didn't have a stride because his turnover was so great. The guy was 6'2". He was one powerful hedge hog. He was a shuffler, a skater not a gracile galloper like Smith, Lewis or Wariner. That type has tremendous power and speed through the midsection and hips. It would not have surprized me if an MJ focused purely on the 100m would have been consistently under 10flat.
              I have no doubts about MJ running 9.95-10.00 on a consistant basis if he'd ran the 100m. I don't see him hanging with the top dawgs in the event however. No a 9.85ish wasn't going to happen. He wasn't going to be there with Bailey, Mitchell, Fredericks or Boldon. He wouldn't have made the 96 4x1 team. He probably would have made the USA trials final however. Yes I know he should have ran the 3rd leg puting Marsh on the second leg and setting Harden on the bench. I doubt the coaches would have thought of that since they couldn't figure out using Lewis on anchor.

Comment

Originally posted by paulthefan

MJ is NOT 6'2.

Comment

Originally posted by scratchman
                  MJ is NOT 6'2.
                  According to USATF he is 6'1"

Comment

Originally posted by Triplej
                    Originally posted by scratchman
                    MJ is NOT 6'2.
                    According to USATF he is 6'1"
                    I was around him a lot during his hey day.
                    He wasn't 6'1 either. I'm 5'11" and I know he wasnt 2"taller than me.
                    He MIGHT be 6'0.
                    ....MIGHT.
                    He has a long torso and short legs.

Comment

MJ vs. Bailey

Johnson moved better after he had a head of steam. The Bailey of '96 was a bolt (if Fredericks and Ato couldn't catch him, few people, ever, could have when he was that vintage).

Dunno what Bailey's stride frequency was, but during his GM 100 he looks as if he's running faster than anyone I've ever peeped on t.v. Some is due to great NBC camera angle & moving cam, some due to the fact he's closer to the ground than Tommie Smith, The King, Steve Williams and Usain Bolt.

Comment

Working...
                      X