• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kuha
    replied
    Originally posted by bad hammy
    Originally posted by dukehjsteve
    If only he had stayed out of politics so I could have continued to like him....
    Easily ignored. That has nothing to do with appreciating him as an athlete.
    Exactly. I disagree with the politician basically 100%, but that doesn't affect my admiration for the athlete one bit.

Leave a comment:

• bad hammy
    replied
    Originally posted by dukehjsteve
    Easily ignored. That has nothing to do with appreciating him as an athlete.

Leave a comment:

• dukehjsteve
    replied

Leave a comment:

• lovetorun
    replied
    Kuha and I always feel compelled to jump in on these threads praising Jim Ryun. I agree that he was the most talented middle distance runner ever from the USA, and maybe the world.

I became an avid Ryun fan after watching him sprint easily away from another exceptional kicker, Roscoe Divine of Oregon in the NCAA mile in Provo, 1967. To me Ryun was poetry in motion when fully into his kick...and no one could stay with him in his prime. Too bad his years of Prime were so few.

Leave a comment:

• lonewolf
    replied
    Originally posted by Texas
    What's with Kansas?

Jim Ryun
    Barry Sanders
    Wes Santee
    Gale Sayers
    Glenn Cunningham
    Maurice Greene

They were all born in Kansas.
    On reflection, Ryun, Sanders, Santee and Cunningham, were all from SOUTHERN Kansas within 50 miles of Oklahoma. Cant explain Sayers and Greene

Leave a comment:

• lonewolf
    replied
    I dunno, it is not like Kansas has ideal track weather year round. Ryun was a great natural talent but also worked at it.

I remember sitting in front of the fireplace in a Shakeys Pizza on more than one cold, windy, blowing snow evening, scarfing down pizza ,looking out the window and here comes Ryun, instantly recognizable by his head movement, ambling along at a good clip. This was about four miles from his home and apparently on his workout route

Leave a comment:

• EPelle
    replied
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kaGDIKoh-g8

Leave a comment:

• Double R Bar
    replied
    I agree with eldrick's post on Ryun. I was lucky enough to be able to see Ryun run several times in his career. He made three Olympic teams and even though he "only" got the silver medal, I think he had the most talent of any miler I ever saw in the U.S.

Leave a comment:

• kuha
    replied
    Originally posted by lonewolf
    I was living in Wichita when Ryun was at East HS and was privileged to witness many of his near solo, head bobbing sub 4 miles on dirt/cinders. I don't know where to find them but I recollect he was sub-22 in an infrequent 220y.
    You were lucky, indeed. The 3:58.3 race is on Youtube; I wish some of the others were, too...

Leave a comment:

• Texas
    replied
    What's with Kansas?

Jim Ryun
    Barry Sanders
    Wes Santee
    Gale Sayers
    Glenn Cunningham
    Maurice Greene

They were all born in Kansas.

Leave a comment:

• lonewolf
    replied
    I was living in Wichita when Ryun was at East HS and was privileged to witness many of his near solo, head bobbing sub 4 miles on dirt/cinders. I don't know where to find them but I recollect he was sub-22 in an infrequent 220y.

Leave a comment:

• puddys12
    replied
    Oh i forgot he also has the under 20 outdoor 800 record 1.44.9. I shake my head when you consider it was 43 years ago........

Leave a comment:

• eldrick
    replied
    Re: Jim Ryun

Originally posted by puddys12
    When you put that in perspective and think what would he of done in todays conditions he truly was a legend
    his 3'33.1 on dirt run off a ridiculously pedestrian initial 300m woud probably been worth today, if run on synthetic with even pace to the bell, ~ 3'28 & possibly even into the 3'27s & i'm fairly sure his 1'44.9 off -ve splits wouda been somewhere in the 1'42s on synthetic off standard 1 - 2s +ve differential, as his secondary event !!!

he is probably the greatest 1500 talent that has ever been produced ( considering he did the 3'33.1 at 20y & the 1'44.9 at 19y ! )

on modern tracks & just good medical care, he presumably wouda peaked somewhere in his mid-20s in the 3'24/3'25s & 1'40/1'41

the only guy i think in history who i think couda given developed, healthy mid-20s ryun wouda been kipketer over 800 - i'd see him easily beating hicham in wabbit-led 1500s on the circuit

Leave a comment:

• bad hammy
    replied

Originally posted by kuha
    He remains the greatest American miler, by far, in history.
    Without a doubt.

Oh, and the indoor Jr. record has been broken.

Leave a comment:

• kuha
    replied

Originally posted by puddys12
    I know he fell short when he got older.......
    Don't need to go there. He accomplished an astonishing amount--he just happened to do it at an early age. He remains the greatest American miler, by far, in history.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X