Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Per Andersen
    Seton Hall Andy Stanfield
    Seton Hall did have Calvin Dill, who in 1977 ran..10.28/20.58...he is their school record holder.

Comment

Elliot Quow Rutgers

Comment

Originally posted by dukehjsteve
        Elliot Quow Rutgers
        Rutgers did have a guy named Robert Kerr back in the late 60's who was running 9.5. While he didn't compare to Quow he was someone of note.

I think I need to drop.."World Class"...and go with..."someone of note". Kerr does hold the school record in the 100yds at Rutgers.

Comment

Occidental: (no personal or academic affiliation) - just remembered Steve Haas, Dixon Farmer and Ron Whitney - thought I'd mosey on into their alma mater - google is my friend

Paste

Steve Haas '63-One of the most versatile all-around runners in history ... of 9.4, 20.7, 46.9 and 1:47.6

Vincent Reel '35-World ranking in low hurdles...23.4...

Bill Parker '50-World ranked quarter-miler...46.9

Walt McKibben '51-All-time world list in 220...21.3 (20.6 straightaway)

Dennis Bambauer '58 - World ranked in the 440

Jack Lawrence '59-…22.9 in 220 low hurdles.

Doug Smith '61- 9.4 and 20.5 (straight away)

Ron Whitney '64-Olympic record in 400 intermediate hurdles...two time AAU champion...NCAA silver medalist...many national teams…16 times under 50.0… world ranked eleven consecutive years.

Hugh Brown '71-defeated Olympic champion and world record holder Lee Evans…45.6 400 meters and 44.5 relay leg.

must be more hidden in the vaults of many schools

Comment

The Loneliness of the Short Distance Runner

Did SIU ever have anyone in Ivory Crockett's league?

Gerald Tinker, Kent State

Elbert Dubenion, Bluffton

Comment

Roger Sayers Omaha

Comment

Originally posted by no one
                Occidental: (no personal or academic affiliation) - just remembered Steve Haas, Dixon Farmer and Ron Whitney - thought I'd mosey on into their alma mater - google is my friend

Paste

Steve Haas '63-One of the most versatile all-around runners in history ... of 9.4, 20.7, 46.9 and 1:47.6

Vincent Reel '35-World ranking in low hurdles...23.4...

Bill Parker '50-World ranked quarter-miler...46.9

Walt McKibben '51-All-time world list in 220...21.3 (20.6 straightaway)

Dennis Bambauer '58 - World ranked in the 440

Jack Lawrence '59-…22.9 in 220 low hurdles.

Doug Smith '61- 9.4 and 20.5 (straight away)

Ron Whitney '64-Olympic record in 400 intermediate hurdles...two time AAU champion...NCAA silver medalist...many national teams…16 times under 50.0… world ranked eleven consecutive years.

Hugh Brown '71-defeated Olympic champion and world record holder Lee Evans…45.6 400 meters and 44.5 relay leg.

must be more hidden in the vaults of many schools
                Now that Haas and Smith have been brought up, there goes Chuck Smith. I'm learning a few things here, that's always a good thing.

Comment

Re: The Loneliness of the Short Distance Runner

Originally posted by bijanc
                  Did SIU ever have anyone in Ivory Crockett's league?

Gerald Tinker, Kent State

Elbert Dubenion, Bluffton
                  SIU also had Mike Kee. No not on a lever with Crockett but he did have enought success to be considered someone of merit. There was also Michael Franks a 400m cat with 10.2? ability.

Kent State had Olympian Thomas Jefferson. There was also Orin Richburg and Bobby Cruse.

For years it was always..."Golden Wheels" Elbert Dubenion the AFL's fastest man. On the back of his rookie football card it mentions his 9.8 speed. 9.8? He had to have ran faster than that. What was his PR anyway?

Comment

Michael Kee

I didn't know Michael Kee went to SIU. I remember when he was a schoolboy sprint champ in the Greater Boston Area in the mid-70's. I believe my cousin said Kee attended Cambridge Rindge and Latin. Became a security guard (had the speed to chase a perp, too).

Comment

Re: Michael Kee

I didn't know Michael Kee went to SIU. I remember when he was a schoolboy sprint champ in the Greater Boston Area in the mid-70's. I believe my cousin said Kee attended Cambridge Rindge and Latin. Became a security guard (had the speed to chase a perp, too).
                      This from the Southern Ill site...

Mike Kee (1976-78) was also a three-time All-American placing in the outdoor 100M three-straight years from 1976 to 78. He also won an amazing nine MVC titles in events including the outdoor 100M (1976-78), the outdoor 200M (1976-78), the indoor 55M (1976, 78) and the indoor 300M (1978). He still ranks among the school's career leaders in various categories

Comment

Saluki Star

That's good to hear, even in retrospect. He was blowing by Eastern Mass. kids as a prep. I remember asking my cousin, a Dual County League indoor sprint champ, if he had encountered Kee at any state meets, and being told that was an entirely different echelon. Funny I didn't hear or read of his NCAA exploits, I followed TAF News in my school library, and big college meets on the tube and through SI (Sports Ilustr., not Southern Illin.- for the humor prone)

Gotta be some other "lonely sprinter" candidates though, given how many colleges there are.

Comment

Re: Saluki Star

That's good to hear, even in retrospect. He was blowing by Eastern Mass. kids as a prep. I remember asking my cousin, a Dual County League indoor sprint champ, if he had encountered Kee at any state meets, and being told that was an entirely different echelon. Funny I didn't hear or read of his NCAA exploits, I followed TAF News in my school library, and big college meets on the tube and through SI (Sports Ilustr., not Southern Illin.- for the humor prone)

Gotta be some other "lonely sprinter" candidates though, given how many colleges there are.
                          I first became aware of Kee from his indoor exploits.

I can only think of Ira Murchison at Western Michigan but have a feeling there is somebody else.

Comment

Originally posted by Texas

I can only think of Ira Murchison at Western Michigan but have a feeling there is somebody else.
                            Tom Randolph

Comment

Originally posted by dj
                              Originally posted by Texas

Tom Randolph
                              That's right, I knew I was forgetting somebody there. Thanx!

Comment

How about:

Ed Hammonds, Memphis State

Kevin Little, Drake

Comment

Working...
                                X