• Show
Clear All

• Texas
    replied
    Re: Saluki Star

Originally posted by dj
    Originally posted by Texas
    Originally posted by bijanc
    That's good to hear, even in retrospect. He was blowing by Eastern Mass. kids as a prep. I remember asking my cousin, a Dual County League indoor sprint champ, if he had encountered Kee at any state meets, and being told that was an entirely different echelon. Funny I didn't hear or read of his NCAA exploits, I followed TAF News in my school library, and big college meets on the tube and through SI (Sports Ilustr., not Southern Illin.- for the humor prone)

Gotta be some other "lonely sprinter" candidates though, given how many colleges there are.
    I first became aware of Kee from his indoor exploits.

I can only think of Ira Murchison at Western Michigan but have a feeling there is somebody else.
    Tom Randolph
    That's right, I knew I was forgetting somebody there. Thanx!

Leave a comment:

• dj
    replied

Originally posted by Texas
    That's good to hear, even in retrospect. He was blowing by Eastern Mass. kids as a prep. I remember asking my cousin, a Dual County League indoor sprint champ, if he had encountered Kee at any state meets, and being told that was an entirely different echelon. Funny I didn't hear or read of his NCAA exploits, I followed TAF News in my school library, and big college meets on the tube and through SI (Sports Ilustr., not Southern Illin.- for the humor prone)

Gotta be some other "lonely sprinter" candidates though, given how many colleges there are.

I can only think of Ira Murchison at Western Michigan but have a feeling there is somebody else.
    Tom Randolph

Leave a comment:

• Texas
    replied

Leave a comment:

• bijanc
    replied
    Saluki Star

Leave a comment:

• Texas
    replied
    Re: Michael Kee

I didn't know Michael Kee went to SIU. I remember when he was a schoolboy sprint champ in the Greater Boston Area in the mid-70's. I believe my cousin said Kee attended Cambridge Rindge and Latin. Became a security guard (had the speed to chase a perp, too).
    This from the Southern Ill site...

Mike Kee (1976-78) was also a three-time All-American placing in the outdoor 100M three-straight years from 1976 to 78. He also won an amazing nine MVC titles in events including the outdoor 100M (1976-78), the outdoor 200M (1976-78), the indoor 55M (1976, 78) and the indoor 300M (1978). He still ranks among the school's career leaders in various categories

Leave a comment:

• bijanc
    replied
    Michael Kee

I didn't know Michael Kee went to SIU. I remember when he was a schoolboy sprint champ in the Greater Boston Area in the mid-70's. I believe my cousin said Kee attended Cambridge Rindge and Latin. Became a security guard (had the speed to chase a perp, too).

Leave a comment:

• Texas
    replied
    Re: The Loneliness of the Short Distance Runner

Did SIU ever have anyone in Ivory Crockett's league?

Gerald Tinker, Kent State

Elbert Dubenion, Bluffton
    SIU also had Mike Kee. No not on a lever with Crockett but he did have enought success to be considered someone of merit. There was also Michael Franks a 400m cat with 10.2? ability.

Kent State had Olympian Thomas Jefferson. There was also Orin Richburg and Bobby Cruse.

For years it was always..."Golden Wheels" Elbert Dubenion the AFL's fastest man. On the back of his rookie football card it mentions his 9.8 speed. 9.8? He had to have ran faster than that. What was his PR anyway?

Leave a comment:

• Texas
    replied
    Originally posted by no one
    Occidental: (no personal or academic affiliation) - just remembered Steve Haas, Dixon Farmer and Ron Whitney - thought I'd mosey on into their alma mater - google is my friend

Paste

Steve Haas '63-One of the most versatile all-around runners in history ... of 9.4, 20.7, 46.9 and 1:47.6

Vincent Reel '35-World ranking in low hurdles...23.4...

Bill Parker '50-World ranked quarter-miler...46.9

Walt McKibben '51-All-time world list in 220...21.3 (20.6 straightaway)

Dennis Bambauer '58 - World ranked in the 440

Jack Lawrence '59-…22.9 in 220 low hurdles.

Doug Smith '61- 9.4 and 20.5 (straight away)

Ron Whitney '64-Olympic record in 400 intermediate hurdles...two time AAU champion...NCAA silver medalist...many national teams…16 times under 50.0… world ranked eleven consecutive years.

Hugh Brown '71-defeated Olympic champion and world record holder Lee Evans…45.6 400 meters and 44.5 relay leg.

must be more hidden in the vaults of many schools
    Now that Haas and Smith have been brought up, there goes Chuck Smith. I'm learning a few things here, that's always a good thing.

Leave a comment:

• dukehjsteve
    replied
    Roger Sayers Omaha

Leave a comment:

• bijanc
    replied
    The Loneliness of the Short Distance Runner

Did SIU ever have anyone in Ivory Crockett's league?

Gerald Tinker, Kent State

Elbert Dubenion, Bluffton

Leave a comment:

• no one
    replied
    Occidental: (no personal or academic affiliation) - just remembered Steve Haas, Dixon Farmer and Ron Whitney - thought I'd mosey on into their alma mater - google is my friend

Paste

Steve Haas '63-One of the most versatile all-around runners in history ... of 9.4, 20.7, 46.9 and 1:47.6

Vincent Reel '35-World ranking in low hurdles...23.4...

Bill Parker '50-World ranked quarter-miler...46.9

Walt McKibben '51-All-time world list in 220...21.3 (20.6 straightaway)

Dennis Bambauer '58 - World ranked in the 440

Jack Lawrence '59-…22.9 in 220 low hurdles.

Doug Smith '61- 9.4 and 20.5 (straight away)

Ron Whitney '64-Olympic record in 400 intermediate hurdles...two time AAU champion...NCAA silver medalist...many national teams…16 times under 50.0… world ranked eleven consecutive years.

Hugh Brown '71-defeated Olympic champion and world record holder Lee Evans…45.6 400 meters and 44.5 relay leg.

must be more hidden in the vaults of many schools

Leave a comment:

• Texas
    replied
    Originally posted by dukehjsteve
    Elliot Quow Rutgers
    Rutgers did have a guy named Robert Kerr back in the late 60's who was running 9.5. While he didn't compare to Quow he was someone of note.

I think I need to drop.."World Class"...and go with..."someone of note". Kerr does hold the school record in the 100yds at Rutgers.

Leave a comment:

• dukehjsteve
    replied
    Elliot Quow Rutgers

Leave a comment:

• Texas
    replied
    Originally posted by Per Andersen
    Seton Hall Andy Stanfield
    Seton Hall did have Calvin Dill, who in 1977 ran..10.28/20.58...he is their school record holder.

Leave a comment:

• Texas
    replied
    Originally posted by dj
    Nobody here is old enough to remember the greatest of Penn sprinters. Haines was world ranked, and the only person ever to win four consecutive AAU indoor dash titles). But before the 1930s, Penn had a number of people who would have ranked among the top-10 in the world in a given year (counting them only during their undergraduate years):

100:
    Horry Lee '77-78-79 (IC4A champ each year)
    Ernie Ramsdell '94 (IC4A champ)
    Walt Tewksbury '98-99 (IC4A champ both times)
    Alvin Kraenzlein '99 (AAU 2nd, Canadian champ), '00 (IC4A champ ahead of Oly champ Jarvis)
    Thaddeus McClain '99 (IC4A 3rd), '00 (3rd IC4A)
    John Westney '02 (IC4A champion after 2 DQs to athletes who finished ahead)
    Nate Cartmell '04 (2 OG, 2 IC4A), '06 (1st IC4A), '07 (1st IC4A, 2nd AAA, 1st "Natl Collegiates"), '08 (4th OG, 1st IC4A)
    Dick Dear '05 (2nd Penn Relays)
    Jay Whitham '08 (3rd IC4A, finalist EnOly Trials)
    G.W. Minds '09 (3rd IC4A), '10 (3rd IC4A)
    Tex Ramsdell '10 (1st IC4A, 1st AAA)
    Don Lippincott '12 (3rd OlyGms), '13 (3rd IC4A)
    Jim Patterson '13 (1st IC4A)
    Boots Lever '23 (1st IC4A)

220 includes many of the same names, plus George Hill '24 (4th Oly Gms)
    I'm familiar with about half of those mentioned. Didn't know they were out of Penn. Got to scratch Haines, him being the only one I knew that went to Penn. Good stuff!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X