• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Guerrouj vs Ryun at 19

Originally posted by lonewolf
    Originally posted by 3
    http://wn.com/Jim_Ryun
    I was living in Wichita in the 1960s and took my eight year old son to see that HS 3:58.3 race, Shocker Stadium, Wichita, KS 1965. I just called my son after viewing the video. He says he remembers the race and the light poles all the way around the track but did not recognize the significance of the event at the time. Eleven years later, he became a 4:02 miler himself.
    I don't remember there was anyone as close to Ryun at the finish as shown on the video..There was a kid from Salina, KS, Charlie????, that was touted to challenge Ryun that season. I don't know what Charlie ran that year but it was no contest.
    Note the packed stands...
    I've said before that that would really have been a wonderful race to have seen in person. I love the way the scrum of officials at the end just erupts as Ryun crosses the line--they all knew he was (way) under 4 minutes and everyone was celebrating. According to the JR Story, his splits were 58.3, 2:00.8, and 3:02.6. It looked as if Mike Petterson hung on for second--something in the low 4:10s? Whatever his time was, he ran it the hard way, that's for sure--he was near 2:01 at the half and absolutely wobbling down the homestretch.

One last thing. In the video, the track looks relatively pristine. Interesting to compare to the photo on p. 109 of the JR Story, which shows that it was considerably rougher...

Comment

Re: Guerrouj vs Ryun at 19

Originally posted by kuha
      [One last thing. In the video, the track looks relatively pristine. Interesting to compare to the photo on p. 109 of the JR Story, which shows that it was considerably rougher...
      It was a typically rough, dusty cinder track. I was not officiating. I was sitting about 10 feet past the finish line about half way up the stands.

Comment

Working...
      X