Mens'World Champs. 3 straight medalist companions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mens'World Champs. 3 straight medalist companions

In only 3 mens individual events have the same 3 guys stepped on to the medal stand in 3 or more straight World Championship. In one of these 3 WCs, it happened 4 times in a row ! And it also happened 4 times in a row in one of the relays.

You can of course research it ( I did ! ) but see what you can do just from knowledge or intuition.

Hint: 2 field events, 1 running event, plus the 1 relay. Name the guys/teams, years, place, etc.

Re: Mens'World Champs. 3 straight medalist companions

First guesses - Sergey Bubka, Ivan Pedroso...?

Comment

Also Tomas Dvorak in the decathlon ('97, '99, '01)

Comment

Ignore those replies.... I misread the question (I think!).

Comment

Jon, Jon, Jon, read the question... need PAIRS of guys that got on the medal stand 3 or 4 straight WC's.

Comment

I should have made it more clear. The TITLE for the thread says companions, so to repeat, 2 guys that both finished in the top 3 , in the same consecutive WC's, 3 or 4 times. Sorry.

Comment

>Jon, Jon, Jon, read the question... need PAIRS of guys that got on the medal
              >stand 3 or 4 straight WC's.

Ahhh.....

The part where you said "same 3 guys" in your first post threw me off (again! lol!).

Add this to the list of "reasons why this forum should have an edit function"

Comment

Well the one relay is USA & JAM 4x4 ('97, '99, '01, '03); each time, both teams were in the gold & bronze medal positions respectively!

The track event is men's 10,000m (Geb & Tergat, '95, '97, '99).

The men's field event with 4 straight WCs is the men's PV (Bubka & Tarasov, '91, '93, '95, '97).

And the other men's field event is the HJ (Sotomayor & Partyka, '93, '95, '97).

Comment

Comment

correct all 3 times Jon, all we need is one running event. Good work. Poor Tarasov, he had to look at Bubka on the top step all 4 times, as did Jamaica. In the HJ, Soto was above Partyka all 3 times, but Kemp beat them both in '95.

Whoever gets the last one will not get a confirmation from me as I'm going off line until later today.

Comment

>I misundestood the question as well, but if we are to be strict with the 4x400m
                      >relay, only Antonio Pettigrew of the US along with Greg Houghton & Danny
                      >McFarlane of Jamaica stood on the podium together at the same time (1997, 1999
                      >& 2001) as they were the only common members of the relay teams during this
                      >period.

And of course Robert Esmie, Glenroy Gilbert & Bruny Surin were all
                      >companions on the same Canadian 4x100m team in 1993(B), 1995(G) & 1997(G).

Good points Roberoo. The relay teams were just a throw in to the basic question about individuals, but nice added info about the 3 same Canadians stepping up there, thank you.

Comment

>correct all 3 times Jon, all we need is one running event.

I mentioned it already - men's 10,000m with Geb and Tergat!

Comment

>>correct all 3 times Jon, all we need is one running event.

I mentioned
                          >it already - men's 10,000m with Geb and Tergat!

and right you are Jon ! I read your answer too quickly, you are the complete champ here,so go to the top step and get your blue ribbon.
                          Notice that here too, Geb got first all 3 times so poor Tergat was looking up all 3 timess.

Comment

Great trivia question! Keep them coming!!

Comment

Working...
                            X