Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Couple of Olympic Champions

Today (Monday) we celebrate two Olympic champions. One would be 110 years old today if he were still alive. The second would be 103 years old today if he were still with us.

The first man won two Olympic gold medals in Paris. He did not run on any relays. He was born and he died in Illinois. He is still the only man to win an individual gold medal and a multi-event gold medal in the same Olympic Games.

The second athlete went to Georgia Tech and won his gold medal in the Netherlands. He set a world record in the Olympic Trials. The Olympic final had six Olympic champions competing!

Who are our two Olympic champions with birthdays today?

I've got one, not the other:

Harold Osborn, HJ and Dec in '24

Comment

Doh!

Finally dawned on me who the other person is.

Comment

Good job dj. Happy birthday today to Harold Osborn. He was born in 1899 and won the decathlon and the high jump in the 1924 Paris Olympic Games. He was the only person to do that in the same Olympics (win an individual event and a multi-event).

Now, who is the other birthday athlete?

Comment

Ed Hamm in lj

Comment

Very good, dukehjsteve. It is Ed Hamm. Ed Hamm was born in 1906 (Teddy Roosevelt was the president) and Ed won the long jump at the 1928 Olympics in Amsterdam. His winning jump of 25' 4 1/2" (7.73) beat the man who would later clear 26' (the first to ever do that): Silvio Cator of Haiti. Happy birthday Ed Hamm.

Comment

I hate to spoil everyone's fun with these, but on Olympedia, if you use it, and if you don't, you should, there is an "On This Day" feature which lists any Olympic event held on that day, all Olympians born or died on that day. Makes this fairly easy usually. But its a handy feature if you need it.

Comment

Originally posted by bambam
                I hate to spoil everyone's fun with these, but on Olympedia, if you use it, and if you don't, you should, there is an "On This Day" feature which lists any Olympic event held on that day, all Olympians born or died on that day. Makes this fairly easy usually. But its a handy feature if you need it.
                That would be cheating. We are all pretty much on our honor to not look up answers. If I have a good idea as to an answer, I sometimes will look it up, but just to confirm before I proclaim my knowledge, nothing more than that. Hopefully others do the same, no more.

Comment

Tilastopaja also has a birthday database.

Comment

Working...
                  X