Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your favorite technician in your favorite event

As a former high jumper, coach and life time fan of the event, I have developed very refined tastes with regard to technical proficiency.

Probably my favorite flop technician of all time had to be Igor Paklin. I have never seen such a smooth run up by any hochsprunger. He always used his arms well and was excellent in the turn. Because of his run up he was able to just crush the plant and take most of his forward momentum vertically, but with enough horizontal velocity to sail clear of the bar. His layout was impeccable. Unlike most jumpers, he allowed his drive leg to stay in position even while clearing the bar. I believe this enabled him to take more of the vertical force with him. He gathered well at the plant and still was able to use his lead arm in the right trajectory when clearing the bar. Although not as fast as most jumpers of his time, because of his technical expertise in many areas, he is still =3rd all time (2.41m) even though his jump was 24 years ago.

Enough about me. Who is your favorite technician in your favorite event? Even if it's a distance runner, was there something about his stride or the timing of his finishing kick that you loved watching?
    If you're ever walking down the beach and you see a girl dressed in a bikini made out of seashells, and you pick her up and hold her to your ear, you can hear her scream.

Wilson Kipketer, thats they way to run. His form so quiet, even after a opening 1:17 600, he was still smooth as silk in a brutal, brutal event. A mystic. Look

http://www.atletika-behy.cz/images/kipketer.jpg
    phsstt!

Comment

Originally posted by SQUACKEE
      Wilson Kipketer, thats they way to run. His form so quiet, even after a opening 1:17 600, he was still smooth as silk
      That's because 1:17 isn't such a big deal for a 1:41 runner.
      Było smaszno, a jaszmije smukwijne...

Comment

Originally posted by Powell
        Wilson Kipketer, thats they way to run. His form so quiet, even after a opening 1:17 600, he was still smooth as silk
        True dat but nobody made it look easier and the last 200 can get rather ugly for most mortals.
        phsstt!

Comment

Greatest straddle high-jump technician was Yaschencko. Better than Brumel and miles ahead of anyone else. Yash's positions on take off and at bar clearance were stunning. He was the ultimate example of Soviet/East European straddle methods.

Conversely, I'd nominate Matzdorf as the WR holder with the ugliest technique.

And I always loved to see the magnificent Ralph Boston long jump.

And Edwards TJumping. Matchless. He would hold his extensions on each jump for impossible time spans and then quickly be in position to maintain perfect balance and speed into the next phase.

Comment

When I was running in college, I thought Ron Clarke had such beautiful form in running. He was so smooth and never appeared to be working very hard. I felt that way when I saw him break the world record in the 5,000 in Los Angeles.

Comment

Originally posted by Double R Bar
              When I was running in college, I thought Ron Clarke had such beautiful form in running. He was so smooth and never appeared to be working very hard. I felt that way when I saw him break the world record in the 5,000 in Los Angeles.
              I saw him attempt a new indoor world record in Oakland and your right, he was amazingly smooth.
              phsstt!

Comment

Scott Huffman

Comment

Jonathon Edwards already mentioned but Shelia Hudson also was one of the most compact, efficient TJer I have ever watched. I believe if she had the size of the European jumpers she would have been in their class.

Comment

For the hurdles, I would say Renaldo Nehemiah. What a great hurdler and making it look so easy.

Comment

loved Brumel, but liked Rolf Beilschmidt even more. And thought Rosi Ackermann was about in the same class.

Comment

Tommie SMITH was born to kill the 400...
                        Certainly the first sub-43" in history had he...
                        A pure marvel technically.

Comment

stefka kostadinova is the ultimate jumper for me
                          i deserve extra credit

Comment

Originally posted by Powell
                            At 1.42,6 pace 3/4 through an 800m race, however, it isn't exactly cruising around the track with ease. That's still motoring and keeping fine form.

Comment

For sheer elegance in the Straddle HJ I'll go with Dumas but for efficiency it has to be Yashchenko.

In the Flop I'll take Kostadinova among the women and Holm among the recent male jumpers. His beautifully balanced, fast run always impressed me + the lightning quick take-off.

In the 800 it's Ereng and Kipketer.

Javelin, it's Janis Lusis. What a combination of strength, grace and extreme athleticism.

Comment

Working...
                              X