Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who Am I ? # 4

In 1958, I was really trying to help my team win the NCAA, but we lost, although we did quite well. I did ok in my best event, I suppose, but I only got 8th in this other event. Who am I ? Hint: I was pretty good in my best event.

Re: Who Am I ? # 4

While looking up the places (not names) of the 6 '56 Gold Medalists to answer your other question on the '58 NCAA Championships, I found that Al Oerter finished 8th in the shot put at 54' 1/2" that year.

His school, Kansas, took second in the team score with 40 3/4. USC won with 48 6/7, Villanova was third with 33 3/4.

Oerter put the shot regularly for Kansas, reaching a best of 56' 11' that year.

Comment

EastBay, you surely, surely are today's top man. You got it. I guess was hoping he could get a point or two for the Jayhawks.

Comment

Eleven years later there was a similar story. Van Reenan won the DT but fared worse than expected in the SP, think he scored, but can't remember off the top of my head. Wazoo lost by a point to USC. Lingren had his usual good meet.

Comment

Working...
        X