X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brian
    replied
    Re: Greatest Cover/Downhill Mile/Coe workout

>Coe's 800 workout was on the road, so don't get >too excited.

Actually, on Rivelin Road, which is a slight downhill. Which completes the thread.

Leave a comment:

• Bruce Kritzler
    replied

Coe's 800 workout was on the road, so don't get too excited.

Leave a comment:

• Class Clown
    replied

This just in: WADA has banned IMHO... cases against Coe and Ovett pending :-)

Leave a comment:

• buckeye II
    replied

I'm going from memory, so please correct me. Wasn't Coe's final rep at sub 1:50? Also, didn't the same 'last lap' give details of Ovett doing something along the lines of 6 X 200 in sub :23 with short rest? These workouts always had me wondering the 'chicken/egg' dilemma. Were they able to do these workouts because they were so talented or were they so talented because they did these workouts? Obviously a combination IMHO.

Leave a comment:

• 5k Guy
    replied

<<<< "Last Lap" reports a recent Seb Coe workout, 6 x 1:52-1:53 with 60 seconds' rest. >>>>

Webb / Lunn / Robison / Jennings would all be done after 2. Far too close to their 800m personal bests.

I'd be willing to bet we don't have a US runner who could do 3 under 1:53, especially not with just 60 secs. (Krum might get 3 but no more).

Coe was so crazy good its not even funny.

Leave a comment:

• Rob
    replied

Leave a comment:

• bf
    replied

Someone, in some Rocky Mountain state, should put on the ultimate downhill mile race - maximum drop, so that runners can barely manage their speed, with final time something like 2:53(i.e., faster than MJ's 43.18 pace). Just for fun. It would make for great tv - people falling from too much speed, or centrifugal force on curved road. Question is, if it became popular on tv, would it kill the audience for track miles in 3:49?

Leave a comment:

• misterp
    started a topic Greatest Cover/Downhill Mile/Coe workout

Greatest Cover/Downhill Mile/Coe workout

We're moving, which means repacking old boxes that haven't been opened in years and moving them to a new basement. During which, I discovered a late entrant to the "best TF&N cover" contest of a few weeks ago. May 1982: "Rono Outsplashes Salazar." The cover photo shows Salazar leading Rono and Adrian Royle by a stride, in the rain, in a Oregon match race organized by Salazar. Rono won by a tenth, 27:29.9 to 27:30, with Royle 17 seconds back. The issue also has a good J. Hendershot interview with Rono, a story on Salazar and Dick Beardsley both running under 2:09 in Boston, and a report that Steve Scott set the world downhill mile record, running 3:31:25 in an Aukland road race. "Last Lap" reports a recent Seb Coe workout, 6 x 1:52-1:53 with 60 seconds' rest.

Those were the days. Wouldn't it be nice to have a US 10K/marathoner today like Salazar or Beardsley, or a miler like Scott, or anyone who could attempt Coe's workouts?

Who knows what's the downhill mile record today?
Working...
X