Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What would Steve Prefonaine have acomplished if he had lived

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Originally posted by collector
    Don't think they called him "the shifter" till later in his career.

    He was still a relative unknown in 1972.
    Not to anyone who was in Durham when he ran there in 1971.

    Comment


    • #47
      Originally posted by tandfman
      Originally posted by collector
      Don't think they called him "the shifter" till later in his career.

      He was still a relative unknown in 1972.
      Not to anyone who was in Durham when he ran there in 1971.
      True but he was outkicked by two guys in the 10,000m in Munich.


      Also....if the field was going to fear a kick, they certainly had a guy who had a kick the year before in the field to concern themselves with.

      Comment


      • #48
        To all,

        What do you think Prefontaine would have done after his running career?

        a. Nike exec
        b. Coach
        c. Small business owner, e.g. " The Pad"
        d. Public Relations
        e. Politics
        f. Other

        I think he might have started with Nike, become tired of it after several years, and entered politics--perhaps eventually becoming a Congressman or even Govenor. Your thoughts??

        Comment


        • #49
          Given his die another day attitude toward all on and off the track, I believe "f" would be the appropriate answer.

          Comment


          • #50
            The fact that after all of these years people still debate about his talents is great though.

            Comment


            • #51
              Originally posted by jhc68
              "If someone thinks that a distance runner reaches his peak 2 or 3 years removed from college,well let me call the circus because they are hiring clowns for a good "

              There is no such thing as "a" distance runner. Typically, distance runners do keep improving up into late 20's and maybe beyond. On the other hand, we've seen runners who peak at 17. All speculation about Pre is in our imagination.

              Uhh, we've seen runners who are burned out at 17.

              There's a big difference.

              Comment


              • #52
                Originally posted by Brian
                Originally posted by jhc68
                "If someone thinks that a distance runner reaches his peak 2 or 3 years removed from college,well let me call the circus because they are hiring clowns for a good "

                There is no such thing as "a" distance runner. Typically, distance runners do keep improving up into late 20's and maybe beyond. On the other hand, we've seen runners who peak at 17. All speculation about Pre is in our imagination.

                Uhh, we've seen runners who are burned out at 17.

                Please define burned out. Do you mean a physical condition, or a change in motivation?

                Comment


                • #53
                  Originally posted by Helen S
                  Originally posted by Brian
                  Originally posted by jhc68
                  "If someone thinks that a distance runner reaches his peak 2 or 3 years removed from college,well let me call the circus because they are hiring clowns for a good "

                  There is no such thing as "a" distance runner. Typically, distance runners do keep improving up into late 20's and maybe beyond. On the other hand, we've seen runners who peak at 17. All speculation about Pre is in our imagination.

                  Uhh, we've seen runners who are burned out at 17.

                  Please define burned out. Do you mean a physical condition, or a change in motivation?


                  I was talking physical, as the two aren't separable. People sometimes forget the mind is part of the brain which is part of the body; fluctuations in physical status greatly affect intangibles like motivation (ask anyone who has the flu, or most women once a month how much their body during that time affects their mindset). As the body goes, so too does the mind. Physically speaking, most people that young drift away because they are tired of being hurt or not realizing their goals because they've been overtrained..."burned out" because the body has been misused regarding proper training. At that age, the motivation is usually still strong if the body is improving.

                  "Peaking" means one has hit the physical limit and couldn't improve even if greatly desired--a nonexistant condition at that age. Outside of later female maturation changes in the body (i.e., excessive widening of the hips; you were/are speaking strictly of distance runners here), no one training properly hits their physical peak at age 17.

                  Comment


                  • #54
                    Originally posted by Helen S
                    Originally posted by Brian
                    Originally posted by jhc68
                    "If someone thinks that a distance runner reaches his peak 2 or 3 years removed from college,well let me call the circus because they are hiring clowns for a good "

                    There is no such thing as "a" distance runner. Typically, distance runners do keep improving up into late 20's and maybe beyond. On the other hand, we've seen runners who peak at 17. All speculation about Pre is in our imagination.

                    Uhh, we've seen runners who are burned out at 17.

                    Please define burned out. Do you mean a physical condition, or a change in motivation?
                    Go to York H.S. in Elmhurst, Illinois and see some real examples.

                    Comment


                    • #55
                      York has been around for 70+ years. Their state distance champions have been:

                      1981AA Rick Schroer (12), Elmhurst (York) 4.15,40
                      1982AA Mark Jerger (12), Elmhurst (York) 4.15,17
                      1996AA Marius Bakken (12), Elmhurst (York) 4.12,40
                      1999AA Donald Sage (12), Elmhurst (York) 4.13,02
                      2000AA Donald Sage (12), Elmhurst (York) 4.07,58
                      2005AA Sean McNamara (12), Elmhurst (York) 4.13,95

                      1975AA Ron Craker, Elmhurst (York) 9.02,86
                      1996AA Marius Bakken (12), Elmhurst (York) 9.07,34
                      1999AA Donald Sage (11), Elmhurst (York) 9.02,78
                      2000AA Donald Sage (12), Elmhurst (York) 8.42,89
                      2005AA Sean McNamara (12), Elmhurst (York) 9.15,37

                      (Source: IHSA)

                      There is only one known grade-11 among the state champions (Sage), all the rest (save an unknown grade for Craker) have been grade-12 athletes.

                      By mentioning York, is your assertion that there could have been more athletes who could have run well (i.e.: win a state title) but burned out, or that the athletes listed burned out later?

                      Comment


                      • #56
                        Originally posted by EPelle
                        York has been around for 70+ years. Their state distance champions have been:

                        1981AA Rick Schroer (12), Elmhurst (York) 4.15,40
                        1982AA Mark Jerger (12), Elmhurst (York) 4.15,17
                        1996AA Marius Bakken (12), Elmhurst (York) 4.12,40
                        1999AA Donald Sage (12), Elmhurst (York) 4.13,02
                        2000AA Donald Sage (12), Elmhurst (York) 4.07,58
                        2005AA Sean McNamara (12), Elmhurst (York) 4.13,95

                        1975AA Ron Craker, Elmhurst (York) 9.02,86
                        1996AA Marius Bakken (12), Elmhurst (York) 9.07,34
                        1999AA Donald Sage (11), Elmhurst (York) 9.02,78
                        2000AA Donald Sage (12), Elmhurst (York) 8.42,89
                        2005AA Sean McNamara (12), Elmhurst (York) 9.15,37

                        (Source: IHSA)

                        There is only one known grade-11 among the state champions (Sage), all the rest (save an unknown grade for Craker) have been grade-12 athletes.

                        By mentioning York, is your assertion that there could have been more athletes who could have run well (i.e.: win a state title) but burned out, or that the athletes listed burned out later?
                        I mean that around these parts,

                        York Runner = Burned out runner.

                        But they usually do make it to graduation.

                        Comment


                        • #57
                          Ron Craker was an 11th grader in 1975. As a senior, he won the IL state cross country meet and ran an 8:51 two mile. Sophomore Tom Graves was the IL state two mile track champion in 1976 after Craker fell.

                          Craker attended Indiana University and qualified for the NCAA steeple as a freshman, running ~8:48.


                          Originally posted by EPelle
                          York has been around for 70+ years. Their state distance champions have been:

                          1981AA Rick Schroer (12), Elmhurst (York) 4.15,40
                          1982AA Mark Jerger (12), Elmhurst (York) 4.15,17
                          1996AA Marius Bakken (12), Elmhurst (York) 4.12,40
                          1999AA Donald Sage (12), Elmhurst (York) 4.13,02
                          2000AA Donald Sage (12), Elmhurst (York) 4.07,58
                          2005AA Sean McNamara (12), Elmhurst (York) 4.13,95

                          1975AA Ron Craker, Elmhurst (York) 9.02,86
                          1996AA Marius Bakken (12), Elmhurst (York) 9.07,34
                          1999AA Donald Sage (11), Elmhurst (York) 9.02,78
                          2000AA Donald Sage (12), Elmhurst (York) 8.42,89
                          2005AA Sean McNamara (12), Elmhurst (York) 9.15,37

                          (Source: IHSA)

                          There is only one known grade-11 among the state champions (Sage), all the rest (save an unknown grade for Craker) have been grade-12 athletes.

                          By mentioning York, is your assertion that there could have been more athletes who could have run well (i.e.: win a state title) but burned out, or that the athletes listed burned out later?

                          Comment


                          • #58
                            Originally posted by G.Ahearn
                            To all,

                            What do you think Prefontaine would have done after his running career?

                            a. Nike exec
                            b. Coach
                            c. Small business owner, e.g. " The Pad"
                            d. Public Relations
                            e. Politics
                            f. Other

                            I think he might have started with Nike, become tired of it after several years, and entered politics--perhaps eventually becoming a Congressman or even Govenor. Your thoughts??
                            Probably all of the above. The Nike money and his name could have allowed him to do almost anything he wanted in Oregon.

                            Comment


                            • #59
                              Originally posted by Dave
                              Originally posted by G.Ahearn
                              To all,

                              What do you think Prefontaine would have done after his running career?

                              a. Nike exec
                              b. Coach
                              c. Small business owner, e.g. " The Pad"
                              d. Public Relations
                              e. Politics
                              f. Other

                              I think he might have started with Nike, become tired of it after several years, and entered politics--perhaps eventually becoming a Congressman
                              or even Govenor. Your thoughts??
                              Probably all of the above. The Nike money and his name could have allowed him to do almost anything he wanted in Oregon.
                              Interesting Dave . . . I like your thinking. After all, why limit yourself?

                              Comment


                              • #60
                                Originally posted by gh
                                The last time I ever talked to Pre was in San Diego in February of '75, just a couple of months before he died. Based on our conversation that night, I can fashion a not-too-far-fetched scenario whereby he would be out of running by '76, let alone '80.
                                From Kenny Moore's Sports Illustrated article "A Final Drive to the Finish" (covering Prefontaine's last meet and death):

                                Pre (describing an 8:36 two-mile in Modesto): "I was lethargic. I still am. I feel like quitting training. Maybe I want to devote my energies to something positive, something I can see bearing fruit."

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X