Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who would play Gerry Lingren in a movie about his life?

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The real great story would have been if Lindgren had just stayed missing. The Russian angle is good...kidnapped by the Russkies and sent to a gulag...or become a spy for the KGB.

Getting serious: It is amazing what a big deal the USSR-US duals were. Along with Lindgren, another memorable runner was Debbie Heald's great mile race in 1972. Still one of the most exciting races on youtube.

Comment

Nice job jhc68....great creativity and fun in your post!

Whenever Gerry Lindgren is brought up I always have to throw my (boring by now) 2 cents....yes, I saw his amazing win against the Russians in 1964...it was and, 45 years later, still is my most exciting T & F moment. The cold war hype of those days was the under current of the 12 lap standing ovation--goose bumps!

Comment

Re: Who would play Gerry Lingren in a movie about his life?

A young Woody Allen would have been perfect.

Comment

Good call, Brian!

Either Woody Allen or Burt Lancaster... no middle-ground choices would work.

Comment

For those of you who remember him.... Wally Cox.l

Comment

Re: Who would play Gerry Lingren in a movie about his life?

Originally posted by marknhj
              Originally posted by williamwindhamjr
              Morton Downey jr is the first actor that comes to mind for me.
              Really? That's quite an unusual choice...
              Presumably, he meant Robert, not the late Morton.

Comment

Mini Me (Verne Troyer) would be a good choice.

Seriously, Gerry was one of the all time great US distance runners.

Comment

How about Robin Williams

Comment

Hugh Dancy, currently in "Adam" about a guy with Asperger's syndrome.

Comment

A young Gerry Lindgren would be best for the part of Gerry Lindgren but there is no one like him. I think his ups and downs throughout his life after running could be portrayed to be of great interest also. I also feel that the current Gerry is the real thing. He knows too much about his running. Have any of you read Gerry Lindgren's "Book on Running" by the Shadow of Gerry Lindgren with a forward and also an endorsement by Coach Tracy B. Walters? The book was published by Gerry the Jogger in 2005. Gerry, who has posted on Letsrun for many years now, now uses the alias "gerrythejanitor" and can be reached at [email protected]. (Both Gerry and Bob Schul have posted about their Compton 1964 race on the six page Letsrun thread entitled "Whatever happened to Bruce Kidd, Canadian Phenom" started by Steve Hoag on 1-10-07.} Gerry's book has few times listed and he did not have a record of when he ran many of those times but that has been rectified. Again, I feel that only a young Gerry Lindgren can play Gerry and, yet, there never will be another person like him.

Comment

Working...
                      X