• Show
Clear All

Carl Lewis.

Comment

Re: Best Athlete of All Time

Originally posted by bad hammy
      Pre-injury Bo Jackson. Discuss . . .
      You might need to give a resume

I assume you are talking multi sport athletes here. Was Jackson a track star in college? Just looked at his wiki page and it is weak in that area

Originally posted by Someone at wikipedia
      Jackson qualified for the 100 yard dash in his freshman and sophomore years. He considered joining the USA Olympic team, but sprinting would not gain him the financial security of the MLB or NFL, nor would he have sufficient time to train, given his other commitments.

Comment

Daisy, the merits of this Bo guy gets discussed here every 6 mths or so.

Here's what I found with a bit of searching:
        ran 10.39
        and 6.18m for 55m
        http://mb.trackandfieldnews.com/discuss ... php?t=9131

A 9.5 in HS (?)
        http://mb.trackandfieldnews.com/discuss ... p?p=515480

Supposedly did a Decath at some point:
        http://mb.trackandfieldnews.com/discuss ... hp?t=19163
        Jackson claimed two state decathlon championships.
        http://espn.go.com/sportscentury/features/00016045.html

Actually found genuine evidence of this:
        1982-Vincent Jackson, McAdory, 8,304
        1981-Vincent Jackson, McAdory, 8,340

(not sure what's going on with those scoring tables - in 1978 winner did 9026. By 1984 marks a back down in 6400 range)

http://www.ahsaa.com/Sports/TrackField/ ... fault.aspx

Including a 149’ discus at HS
        http://www.letsrun.com/forum/flat_read. ... ad=2326704

Comment

Originally posted by AS
          Daisy, the merits of this Bo guy gets discussed here every 6 months
          Americans tend to be highly vulnerable to marketing hype and somewhat limited in their exposure to world sport! Jackson had short and successful careers in football and baseball, but his averages were exceeded by numerous other players, and were certainly helped by only being around for about four years at pro level. Athletically he could hit a baseball (so can a lot of people), run fast (so can a lot of people), make cuts while running fast (so can a lot of people).

He's "legend" here is mainly a result of once running over the obnoxious Brain Bosworth on a spectacular night of Monday Night Football, and a Nike ad campaign. Although he certainly was a great athlete, it's ludicrous to consider him the greatest athlete ever when his athletic skills were confined to a few areas, for a few years, and brute force played a significant role in his success....

Comment

Whom ever holds the current Decathlon record HAS to be the best right behind Babe Ruth, to be that fat and hung over and full of hot dogs and still be the best?! :shock:
            phsstt!

Comment

Originally posted by TrackDaddy
              If athlete means the ability to run and jump.

Carl Lewis.

Bar none.
              When I spoke to Carl at the Watts games a number of years ago he admitted to me that he could never really dunk a basketball. He also struggled in the old "Superstars" competition if I recall... Shouldn't that sorta disqualify him?

If supremely fast and technically brilliant define "greatest athlete" then he has a case. But I think any discussion of "greatest athlete" should include some combination of running speed, throwing, jumping high, strength, and the ability to change direction.

Lest we not forget coming up big when the pressure is on i.e. clutch performances

I don't know who the best is, but Bo Jackson has to be considered...

Also, in any definition of "best athlete" methinks the athlete has to be earth based... though I respect their talent, no swimmers.

I believe Jim Thorpe probably wouldn't make any professional team (or Olympic team) from 1985 to the present. Great in his era, (the greatest, actually) but I think Jim Brown would have pummeled him in virtually any athletic contest.

Comment

Originally posted by AS
                Daisy, the merits of this Bo guy gets discussed here every 6 mths or so.
                My apologies, i guess i tune it out.

Comment

The GAOAT

Jimmy Brown
                  Jackie Robinson
                  Jacke Joyner-Kersee
                  Carl Lewis
                  Jim Thorpe

Comment

Seems we need to distinguish between "most versatile" and "most outrageously supreme in their chosen sporting endeavour".

The former doesn't qualify you to be called the greatest... the latter might.

So criteria that lend credence to someone's claim to the latter:
                    - undefeated or close too
                    - performance levels dramatically above all other competitors at time
                    - some durability of one's achievements in light of subsequent careers
                    - competing in a sport/event that considerable numbers of people play
                    - longevity?

From world of track and field I'd be pretty comfortable with
                    - Jesse Owens (that LJ record lastest a hell of a long time)
                    - JJK (records still pretty unapproachable
                    - Bubka (although OG record let's him down a bit)

Comment

Originally posted by AS

From world of track and field I'd be pretty comfortable with
                      - Jesse Owens (that LJ record lastest a hell of a long time)
                      In my mind, CL ranks clearly ahead of Owens: He did everything Owens did, did
                      so in a much more developed sport, and had a tremendous longevity---including
                      four consequtive OG golds and one of the longest winning streaks in history.
                      (Owens may or may not have had a similar longevity, had he remained active
                      longer; however, he might just as well have been through in 1937/1938.
                      Likely, he would have been somewhere between the extremes.)

Four golds in one OG, (non-altitude) WRs galore, total domination of the long
                      jump, ...---CL matches Owens. Notably, if CL's 30' jump was indeed 30' or,
                      even, > 8.95 (and actually measured ...), it would be older than Owens'
                      WR---and still counting. Even disregarding 30', CL would have had the
                      non-altitude WR for some ten years, followed by the number two spot for an
                      additional 17 years and counting. Factor in that Owens record(s) may have been
                      artificially long lived as a result of WWII, and, IMO, CL comes out equal or
                      better.

Comment

Ali, Jordon, Bo Jackson and Deion Sanders have to be considered in "the greatest" discussion. If Carl Lewis is included, you'd have to include Jesse Owens and even Usain Bolt. Although he hasn't long jumped (yet) you'd have to agree that with his athleticism, he could probably succeed in that, or maybe even the triple and high jump. I could see Usain seriously competitve in a decathlon. For me, "the greatest" would have to be a multi-sport ability athlete, or one who remained on top well past their prime . That said, here's a name that'll cause a stir....Terrell Owens.
                        ....I'll duck now.

Comment

Originally posted by balzonia
                          When I spoke to Carl at the Watts games a number of years ago he admitted to me that he could never really dunk a basketball.....
                          I call bullshit on that. If I at 5-9¼, with 11-flat speed and 21-foot long jumping credentials (and with tiny hands) could dunk......

I'd be blown away if he couldn't dunk on an 11-foot basket.

Comment

Originally posted by gh
                            Originally posted by balzonia
                            When I spoke to Carl at the Watts games a number of years ago he admitted to me that he could never really dunk a basketball.....
                            I call bullshit on that. If I at 5-9¼, with 11-flat speed and 21-foot long jumping credentials (and with tiny hands) could dunk......

I'd be blown away if he couldn't dunk on an 11-foot basket.
                            Holm has made the same claim about himself. Presumably, other
                            factors than raw jumping ability play in. (Not that neither, in my
                            understanding, denied being able to do so, had they trained specifically
                            for basket ball.)

Comment

I've got to put up another vote for Roman Sebrle as best athlete.

It seems unfathomable that Holm would have been unable to dunk, though I have heard that before. Perhaps holding onto the ball messes up his rhythm, but he would 100% be able to dunk from a good alley-oop pass. If I at 18, when I was 6'2 175lbs with speed in the mid 11s, a 6' high jump, and less than a 20foot long jump, could dunk (only from a pass), then Carl Lewis could dunk.

Comment

My pick is Pelè, with Ali a close second.
                                Among women JJK, with Babe and Chudina tied for a close second.
                                "A beautiful theory killed by an ugly fact."
                                by Thomas Henry Huxley

Comment

Working...
                                X