Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Athlete of All Time

Collapse

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    I don't know anything about cricket, but you have to check out the stats on this guy Bradman! Dominant!

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by imaginative
      Originally posted by gh
      Originally posted by balzonia
      .....
      When I spoke to Carl at the Watts games a number of years ago he admitted to me that he could never really dunk a basketball.....
      I call bullshit on that. If I at 5-9¼, with 11-flat speed and 21-foot long jumping credentials (and with tiny hands) could dunk......

      I'd be blown away if he couldn't dunk on an 11-foot basket.
      Holm has made the same claim about himself. Presumably, other
      factors than raw jumping ability play in. (Not that neither, in my
      understanding, denied being able to do so, had they trained specifically
      for basket ball.)
      gh is right, it is a physical impossibility that Carl or Holm could not dunk a basket ball. Totally absurd. If they claimed this about themselves it is only because of some inate psychological desire to see themselves as unique track guys, wanting not to even sully themselves with the thought of measuring their athletic prowess with such a mundane, common, childish exercise as 'dunking a basketball". Lending credence to the crass game sullies their reputation as elite athletes and gives room to the juvenile instincts that raise bball to otherworldly heights.
      ... nothing really ever changes my friend, new lines for old, new lines for old.

      Comment


      • #33
        Originally posted by marknhj
        Americans tend to be highly vulnerable to marketing hype and somewhat limited in their exposure to world sport! Jackson had short and successful careers in football and baseball, but his averages were exceeded by numerous other players, and were certainly helped by only being around for about four years at pro level. Athletically he could hit a baseball (so can a lot of people), run fast (so can a lot of people), make cuts while running fast (so can a lot of people).

        He's "legend" here is mainly a result of once running over the obnoxious Brain Bosworth on a spectacular night of Monday Night Football, and a Nike ad campaign. Although he certainly was a great athlete, it's ludicrous to consider him the greatest athlete ever when his athletic skills were confined to a few areas, for a few years, and brute force played a significant role in his success....
        First let me say that I should have called this thread "The Greatest All Around Athlete of All Time" because that was what I was thinking when I started and tossed out Bo Jackson's name.

        As a candidate for the Greatest All Around Athlete of All Time I believe that a number of athletic criteria should be considered, including strength, speed, agility and what folks call 'hand to eye coordination'.

        Bo Jackson clearly had way-above-average capabilities in each of these areas as he demonstrated on the track, the gridiron and the ball field, and he also had an abundance of, for lack of a better term, flair. It is true (and a shame) that his career was cut short, but for those years he was arguably the greatest all around athlete of all time.

        Comment


        • #34
          Originally posted by paulthefan
          gh is right, it is a physical impossibility that Carl or Holm could not dunk a basket ball..
          I have taken the liberty to send an email directly to Holm (who publishes his
          address on his website). Since I have no personal connections, however, I
          cannot guarantee that he will answer.

          Comment


          • #35
            There was an SI article about Bubka meeting Michael Jordan in Chicago. Bubka could not dunk. If my memory is correct Jordan thought he had the physical tools to dunk, but not being a bball player ever before just didn't have the correct timing.......with work on timing/body position, he could dunk. Maybe the same is true for Carl and Holm.

            Edit: My memory is a little off but Bubka couldn't dunk
            http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/ ... /index.htm

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by gh
              Originally posted by balzonia
              .....
              When I spoke to Carl at the Watts games a number of years ago he admitted to me that he could never really dunk a basketball.....
              I call bullshit on that. If I at 5-9¼, with 11-flat speed and 21-foot long jumping credentials (and with tiny hands) could dunk......

              I'd be blown away if he couldn't dunk on an 11-foot basket.
              To provide some context:
              Over a 10 minute or so conversation where I told him how fun it was to watch him compete (and he was particularly gracious this day) I began to tongue in cheek mess around with him and asked him what would happen to the record books if the great basketball leapers had decided to focus on track (especially the jumps) and he laughed as he said something to the effect of "probably not much." He believed the skills are not necessarily comparable as he "could never really dunk." I believe him.

              It always stuck with me because I seem to recall watching Louise Ritter (I believe that's right) dunk a volleyball on TV many years ago during some profile. I'm sure someone else will remember that, as well. Both tremendous athletes who were physiologically wired a little differently.

              gh, take pride that you could do something CL couldn't!

              And so can Brittany Griner:
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UO-iH1UniSc

              :shock:

              Comment


              • #37
                The thread is so subjective it ain't funny. There is no clear cut individual who is on top. Obviously you take into account the different era's, now mine you each person from that particular era could have performed in any given era.

                But I would have to cast my vote for Carl, his longevity and accomplishments can be lined up with anyone.
                on the road

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by steve
                  There was an SI article about Bubka meeting Michael Jordan in Chicago. Bubka could not dunk. If my memory is correct Jordan thought he had the physical tools to dunk, but not being a bball player ever before just didn't have the correct timing.......with work on timing/body position, he could dunk. Maybe the same is true for Carl and Holm.

                  Edit: My memory is a little off but Bubka couldn't dunk
                  http://vault.sportsillustrated.cnn.com/ ... /index.htm
                  I sense this contradiction regarding inability to dunk but fleet of foot is not so unusual. I all the years i ran track and played football and basketball, I was noticeably faster than many of my teammates and yet many of them could clearly jump higher on the BB court or at the high jump pit. Go figure...

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    I am thinking Lewis, Holm et al could very likely pick up a basketball with two hands, jump up, and pretty easily push it down into the basket.

                    It might not be pretty but it would be pretty easy.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by Speedfirst
                      The thread is so subjective it ain't funny. There is no clear cut individual who is on top. Obviously you take into account the different era's, now mine you each person from that particular era could have performed in any given era.

                      But I would have to cast my vote for Carl, his longevity and accomplishments can be lined up with anyone.
                      Agreed on all points.

                      Comment

                      Working...
                      X