Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obsolete events you actually ran?

Lots of mentions lately about 220 straight aways and 220 hurldes and such like antique events. Who here is old enough to have really run such things?

In high school I nabbed a gold medal for a ridiculous shuttle hurdles relay race. It was 120 yards, high hurdles going one direction and lows going the other direction!

And I often ran 180 low hurdles races while lower division guys - we had B, C, and D "exponent" competitions back in the day - ran the 120 lows.

I was on the desparation list as a very deep alternate to run the standard meet ending relay: the 4x220. (Practiced exchanges, but fortunately for the team I never got pressed into an actual race.)

I'm sure Lovestorun - my HS team mate - ran lots of 660's and1320's in track and 1.8 mile x-country courses.

Anyone recall their pr's in those wierd events?

I believe we have had this discussion before, at least on the cross country issue. 40 years ago, York H.S.' CC course was 1.81 miles. Our course was 2.65 miles, etc. Back then PE departments found a place to run and ran a loop around. In Illinois the only race I can remember that was 3 miles was the state meet.

Personally I thought it was great. You got a little variety, without worrying so much about time.

Now, with the emphasis on 5k times, you end up with boring, pancake flat courses.

Comment

My USA high school still has a 1,8mi course for grade-9 and grade-10 athletes and a 5k course for the older kids. Prior to the 5k course, it was 2,9mi for a year. Why not just the standard three-mile?

I believe Half Moon Bay, a very popular Bay Area invitational, has a 2,3mi course. I believe dl and I may have crossed paths there at some point - or at least the same day(s) in separate races.

Comment

I didn't run it but one antique you'll never see again was the one turn 440 yard dash run in the 1960's in my state's HS championships --it started with a 220 straightaway, and finished at the 220 mark on the backstretch. There were 12 runners and no lanes. The first half of the race was basically just a 220 yard break for the pole. The set up led to some colossal rigor mortis set-ins on the backstretch.

Comment

I used to love watching those 440's around one turn.

Comment

Standing LJ and HJ. C'mon!! Anyone tried? I think I was 13 last time, and my coach gave me hell. Good LJ, but just remember metal and testicular pain for the HJ..
            Still recognised as official records in Norway, and I believe other Nordic countries too? WHY!!

That Ray Ewry kid looks promising though.

Comment

The more dinosaur genes in us, the more of these colorful old stories we have... Yes, we ran quite a few one-turn 440s, a straight-line 220, 180 lows, etc. I loved our standard indoor distances: 60, 300, 600, 1000 (all yards of course), plus 1 and 2 miles. The outdoor tracks varied in length: until my freshman year in HS, our school's track was a 5-lap grass circuit around the baseball field, and I distinctly remember that another school had something like a 4-1/2 lap track--everything started and finished at different places. None of the schools in my conference had an all-weather track until ca. 1969 or so. And our x-country courses were every possible fraction from 2.0 to 3.0 miles. One year our standard home course was 2.3 miles, the next year 2.8, etc. No two-handed shot or discus competitions, however...

Comment

Re: Obsolete events you actually ran?

Originally posted by jhc68
                I'm sure Lovestorun - my HS team mate - ran lots of 660's and1320's in track and 1.8 mile x-country courses.

Anyone recall their pr's in those wierd events?
                The 1320 (3/4 mile on a track) marked my first successful assault on breaking the 4:00 barrier. It took until the last race in my freshman high school track season - I stalled out at 4:03-05 for a couple of weeks and thought I would never get below 4:00.

But, then, 3:55, on 77, 78 and 80 second quarters. I was so happy, proud, and relieved. I surpassed other barriers in the following years, (though, I never got close to the next 4:00 barrier,) but that first one had to be the best.

Comment

On the topic of odd ball distances, one of the more famous is the Manchester Road Race, 4.75 miles. I ran the race once back in '92. A great course.

Comment

Originally posted by Conor Dary
                    On the topic of odd ball distances, one of the more famous is the Manchester Road Race, 4.75 miles. I ran the race once back in '92. A great course.
                    Actually 4.748, for what it's worth! I ran it in 1969, 1970, 1974, and 1978--a really fun race...

Comment

Our high school course, the 2,9mi one, was actually run in 1984 and 1985. I didn't recall that until looking up some old results online. The course was changed to a 5k in 1986, and remains to this day. Though there were only 0,2mi difference between the two courses, the initial one was run as a two-loop course with a mountain range thrown in there. The second one was a figure eight run in the mountains; both finish lines were in the same area.

The 5k course was itself much more difficult - and I believe one of the top-five most difficult courses in all of California (two people have broken 16.00 on the 5k course and only one man (a former Olympian) has ever broken 10.00 (9.43) on the 1,8mi course). Some good athletes ran on the 2,9mi course in 1984, including a 4.08/8.55/13.57 (3-mi) guy along with a guy who would eventually run 4.12/8.55/14.17 (3-mi). Both of them ran 15.20-15.30ish on the 2,9mi course.

What made it impossible to judge was how we fared a few years later on the 5k course, which was harder, against the kids from the 2,9mi course. Comparing track PB's was not a good judge. The only thing which made sense was to judge the 5k course against Woodward Park by subtracting 60 seconds from our high school course (most generally between 57-63 seconds faster at Woodward); we determined by comparing our high school course times between runners who later competed in the Woodward Park course at the old Kinney Western Regionals that the 2,9mi course was 30s slower than Woodward Park, though it was 0,2mi shorter.

Suffice it to say, 1986 was a new era in our local area, so comparing folks from just one year earlier made no more sense. 1987 we started off with the CA State Meet, and stopped running Nor Cal Championships in Rocklin.

I wish we just had a standard 3mi course for two reasons: didn't have to run that extra 30-33 seconds, and could compare athletes by time throughout all the years.

Comment

Originally posted by kevinsdad
                        I didn't run it but one antique you'll never see again was the one turn 440 yard dash run in the 1960's in my state's HS championships --it started with a 220 straightaway, and finished at the 220 mark on the backstretch. There were 12 runners and no lanes. The first half of the race was basically just a 220 yard break for the pole. The set up led to some colossal rigor mortis set-ins on the backstretch.
                        For decades I've been pushing for people to run 500s. Standing waterfall start from the 100 start; break for the pole at the start/finishline and run the 400 from the inside lanes. Not only exciting as hell, but has a delightful barrier of 60-seconds to separate the true world-class from the rest. A perfect race!

(I once ran a decathlon 400 that had no staggers; we waterfalled at the start line and went for it!)

Comment

I'm all for the idea of the 500. As I've said in the past, I'm also for more "odd distance" stuff in general: a 300 or 600 every now and then, and more 1000s. And, as at least Conor and I have suggested, the first sub-10 minute 4000 would be a pretty cool thing...

Comment

Great idea on the 500, especially with the waterfall start.

It is also about time to get a one turn stagger in the 400.

Comment

My brother and I and next door neighbor boys , who lived two miles away, used to run four mile races around section lines starting in opposite directions and finishing at the starting point..
                              The land was so flat you could see clear across the section which discouraged cheating by cutting corners.
                              How about having races of 400 meters and longer run in opposite directions? You could not sit and kick but would have to run to the maximum of your ability.. It might only work for match races. If you started half the field in opposite directions there could conceivalby be right of way problems when they met.
                              I dunno, maybe I need to give this more thought.

Comment

Working...
                              X