This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sad, Shocking News [Adam Jacobs RIP]

Adams Jacobs, founder of thefinalsprint.com, died last evening. Far too young at 24.

http://www.runnerspace.com/news.php?do= ... ws_id=5842
    There are no strings on me

Adam Jacobs was a courageous young journalist who made one of the few efforts -- ever -- to really, truly learn what made USATF tick.

Even though I turned down a blogging gig with TFS, Adam tapped my experience in the run-up to his breathtaking seven-part series:
    http://www.thefinalsprint.com/2008/11/d ... atf-board/

Legendary track writer Jim Dunaway also helped with the USATF series, offering his guidance on where the bodies were buried in Indy.

As it happens, I was having dinner with Adam at the Reno USATF convention last December when he took a call on his cell phone -- and learned that Stephanie Hightower had been elected USATF president despite his series, which depicted Stephanie as a terrible choice for the job.

Adam went pale, and he was hurt. How could anyone who read his series have supported Stephanie? he basically thought.

The delegate demographics, including racial and athlete makeup of USATF, made moot Adam's investigation, however. Hightower won with her crew.

Now we are left to wonder: Who will hold USATF accountable now? Who will ask the hard questions, dig up sources and present the evidence in the future? Track is but a blip on the MSM radar. Nobody cares.

But Adam cared deeply. Perhaps too deeply.

His death is tragic beyond words. That's because his words will no longer be around to show us the way, shine a light on dark places and give us hope for a better way of running American track.

We'll miss you dearly, Adam.

K E N
    K E N

Comment

My condolences and prayers go out to all affected by Adams passing.

Life is short and God said our life is like a vapor, appear for a little while and then vanish away.

We all must make sure we lead lives that are benefical, each day like it's our last, cuz one day it will be. Give God the glory!!
      on the road

Comment

since this thread's original title didn't mention Jacobs by name, another thread got started. Here's the one entry there:

<<Halfmiler2

Posted: 26 May 2009 14:04 Post subject: R.I.P. Adam Jacobs
        I just heard the very sad news that Adam Jacobs dies unexpectedly on Friday at the age of only 24. David Monti has a news story appearing at several outlets.

Adam was the guy who founded thefinalsprint.com and did the series of articles about USATF before last year's election that got much discussion on these message boards. I met him at the USATF convention and he seemed like a very bright and dedicated individual. Very sorry to hear the news. I think he could have contributed much to the sport.>>

Comment

I enjoyed hanging out with him and Tom Borish at the USATF convention. Very sad to hear of his passing

Comment

[quote="Speedfirst"]My condolences and prayers go out to all affected by Adams passing.

Life is short and God said our life is like a vapor, appear for a little while and then vanish away.

We all must make sure we lead lives that are benefical, each day like it's our last, cuz one day it will be. Give God the glory!![/quote]

You are thanking God for a young man's death :shock: :roll: :evil: ?

Comment

Jacobs's articles:

"What if They Gave a Track Meet and Nobody Came"?......2008 version!

Comment

Originally posted by ranunculus
                Originally posted by Speedfirst

We all must make sure we lead lives that are benefical, each day like it's our last, cuz one day it will be. Give God the glory!![/quote]

Nope. It's for his life.

Comment

Please join me in making a donation in Adam's name to the Challenged Athletes Foundation.

Direct link:
                  https://www.kintera.org/faf/donorReg/do ... =183491774

Announcement of special site in honor of Adam:
                  http://www.thefinalsprint.com/2009/05/w ... am-jacobs/

K E N
                  K E N

Comment

I'll keep praying for you, you obviously need it.. Where did I use the term thank?

If you wanna question me about my views, I suggest you pm me. Reading is fundamental by the way. :roll: :roll:
                    on the road

Comment

I'll keep praying for you, you obviously need it.. Where did I use the term thank?

If you wanna question me about my views, I suggest you pm me. Reading is fundamental by the way. :roll: :roll:
                      No, thank you. I don't want (need) your prayers, nor am I interested in a theological dialogue.

I can read just fine. Giving glory and thanking are pretty much identical (at least in lithurgy, those terms are practically overlapping).

Comment

No, thank you. I don't want (need) your prayers, nor am I interested in a theological dialogue.

I can read just fine. Giving glory and thanking are pretty much identical (at least in lithurgy, those terms are practically overlapping).
                        Why don't you just admit you read into it what you wanted to. I'll continue to pray for you, again reading is fundamental.

Plus I never stated give God the glory for Adam passing away :roll: :roll:

Also I see where you cannot even deal with this on a pm, as I did pm you.
                        on the road

Comment

You guys should be ashamed of yourselves, bickering over words on a thread like this.

Comment

Why don't you just admit you read into it what you wanted to. I'll continue to pray for you, again reading is fundamental.

Plus I never stated give God the glory for Adam passing away :roll: :roll:

Also I see where you cannot even deal with this on a pm, as I did pm you.
                            I just got to your PM and responded.

Comment

Originally posted by tandfman
                              You guys should be ashamed of yourselves, bickering over words on a thread like this.
                              Why am I being admonished, tandfman? This is the course of events.
                              A young man died, sadly, unexpectedly.
                              Speedfirst said "Praise the Lord."
                              I took umbrage. Evidently, you do, too.

Being new to this message board, I read the rules. Proselytizing is one of the forbidden activities, isn't it?

Comment

Working...
                              X